News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Brer Panther

I do wonder whether we’ll see similar changes to the attraction again soon, (with the rumored diversity team) and what those changes will entail. Hopefully if they do any work in IASW, they’ll remove the Disney characters from DLR. I do wonder what they’ll end up doing with CoP, since that was on the Diversity Team list of attractions as well. I mean, the only other attraction besides the obvious retheme of Splash, that’s been the MOST rumored to receive alterations has been HoP.
I wouldn't be surprised if they closed both attractions altogether. Probably replace them with more princess rides.

SotS has been in the vault for over 30 years, nothing has changed in that regards. SotS being the vault has never prevented Disney from selling Br'er Rabbit stuff or even having M&Gs with those characters.

I'm not sure what you mean by their "messaging" but officially Disney has framed this ride change as a way to bring Princess and the Frog into the parks in an attraction. They've never publicly condemned Splash Mountain or the characters therein AFAIK. Again, we all know what the rationale is from behind the scenes, but in terms of the direct consumer messages, Splash Mountain is perfectly fine. So, there's really no hypocrisy from the company by keeping it open and selling ride/character related stuff.
There's still the fact that Disney initially brushed off The Princess and the Frog as a flop for not making as much money at the box office as, say, Tangled. Their suddenly doing a 180 on it is incredibly suspicious, especially since they in the past have cancelled rides in development based on movies like The Black Hole and Atlantis after those movies flopped. And if The Princess and the Frog WAS a box office success in their eyes, how come they're not making hand-drawn movies anymore?

Brer Oswald

Okay, but how does that make Disney any money?
Merchandise and saving money.

There’s now a prime spot to sell all of the PatF merch that already exists, while selling out of the limited Splash Mountain merch, which is now in high demand.

You also have the opportunity to remove the expensive to maintain sets and animatronics, including the mass amounts of America Sings animatronics, that have absolutely nothing to do with SotS but can claim they are “tainted with racism for being associated with such a horrible attraction”.

The ride isn’t going to lose the lines. Most people go for the drop. But the Disney difference will be gone. Instead, you’ll get a ride that is similar to what you can find down the street at Universal.

Homemade Imagineering

I wouldn't be surprised if they closed both attractions altogether. Probably replace them with more princess rides.
Lol. I don’t think we’d have to worry about any more princess rides going into classic attractions, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they altered HoP beyond recognition. I remember WDW Pro mentioning that CoP will eventually be razed completely for something else in the next few years or something crazy like that. Insiders later debunked this rumor, so at this point I’m not sure where things would stand with CoP. As for IASW, I don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon. Especially since they’re spending CapEx on the tent entrance area redesign, along with the fact that its considered one of the “legacy” attractions. I could see alterations to vignettes throughout the attraction, but that’s about it.

Donaldfan1934

I'm not sure why you think that. I mean, the new ride will almost certainly get praise among progressive media for getting ride of a "problematic" ride and adding more diversity and "inclusion". But in terms of theme park fans, the folks spending money and actually going to the parks? I'm really not sure. If the replacement attraction is of clearly inferior quality, I think there will definitely be a backlash - maybe not in terms of immediate effects but on a continuing erosion of the fan base of the parks which can lead to long term issues with attendance.

I'm sure there'll sell some extra Tiana stuff as well. But how many of her dresses would they need to sell in order to get back the millions of dollars they will have to put into changing this ride? I mean, it's not like they don't sell any Tiana stuff to begin with and you're pretty much cutting off any sales of Splash Mtn related items once it close (as small as such sales might be).

Maybe the thought is that they'll have a significant uptick in African American guests as a result? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. If that's their target, IMHO they'd be better off trying to figure out to get Black Panther/Wakanda somewhere in the parks - that was a cultural touchstone for the community (admittedly from outsider view, I don't want to speak for a group I'm not a part of).
Very well said. Thank you for getting this point across in a way that’s clear and straightforward.

erasure fan1

But in terms of theme park fans, the folks spending money and actually going to the parks? I'm really not sure. If the replacement attraction is of clearly inferior quality, I think there will definitely be a backlash - maybe not in terms of immediate effects but on a continuing erosion of the fan base of the parks which can lead to long term issues with attendance.
Unfortunately the last thing on this current managements minds, is the long term issues with erosion of the fanbase. That is an issue that is not right this second. And they only seem to care for the short term returns. Will that type of mindset actually cause a significant problem down the line? Maybe. But all these guys care about is maximizing their bonuses now as they won't be here when that issue would become a problem anyway.

_caleb

Disney can't win, can they? If they shuttered the attraction immediately and pulled all the Splash merch from the shelves, all the emo Splash fans would be melting down because "OMG Disney thinks we're racists!" and "There was no time for one last ride!" But leaving it open and continuing to sell Splash T-shirts gets them "See, it's nothing but virtue signaling!"

I get that it's difficult to lose something you love, but the this sure sounds like the stages of grief:
  • Denial: "Maybe they won't change the one a MK! PatF doesn't fit thematically!"
  • Anger: "There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING offensive in the ride at all!! This is just woke theater!"
  • Bargaining: "They should give Princess and the Frog a proper attraction. Take TSI instead!"
  • Depression: "The Disney we knew and loved is dead. I'm officially done with Disney."
If you'd like to move into the Acceptance stage, I recommend:

"The ride's connection to the films makes some people uncomfortable and makes Disney look like they haven't done enough to acknowledge their ties to racially insensitive content, so they're changing it to Princess and the Frog. Same ride, new theme. Let's see what they come up with."

SamusAranX

Disney can't win, can they? If they shuttered the attraction immediately and pulled all the Splash merch from the shelves, all the emo Splash fans would be melting down because "OMG Disney thinks we're racists!" and "There was no time for one last ride!" But leaving it open and continuing to sell Splash T-shirts gets them "See, it's nothing but virtue signaling!"

I get that it's difficult to lose something you love, but the this sure sounds like the stages of grief:
  • Denial: "Maybe they won't change the one a MK! PatF doesn't fit thematically!"
  • Anger: "There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING offensive in the ride at all!! This is just woke theater!"
  • Bargaining: "They should give Princess and the Frog a proper attraction. Take TSI instead!"
  • Depression: "The Disney we knew and loved is dead. I'm officially done with Disney."

"The ride's connection to the films makes some people uncomfortable and makes Disney look like they haven't done enough to acknowledge their ties to racially insensitive content, so they're changing it to Princess and the Frog. Same ride, new theme. Let's see what they come up with."

I could run down a list of attractions, characters, and films (hint: alot) that draw from source content with questionable overtones/problems at Disney, that if Disney was truly about appeasing to the sensitivities of guests, would be getting the SotS/SM treatment. That's my problem with it; they did it for pure PR, not for the right reasons.

Disney Analyst

I like you.

Joshsteve

Do y'all think splash will go down for refurb in January anyway? its been down the last 2 years i've gone . Hoping that with all the other rides that are down right now they won't close it, especially after the long refurb last year

_caleb

I could run down a list of attractions, characters, and films (hint: alot) that draw from source content with questionable overtones/problems at Disney, that if Disney was truly about appeasing to the sensitivities of guests, would be getting the SotS/SM treatment. That's my problem with it; they did it for pure PR, not for the right reasons.
And there's nothing Disney could do that could change your mind about their sincerity? What if those other attractions, characters, and films were also on a list to be addressed in some way?

Chi84

Premium Member
They can still change those attractions, though. Maybe they're next on Disney's list. It's not possible to change everything all at once.

SamusAranX

And there's nothing Disney could do that could change your mind about their sincerity? What if those other attractions, characters, and films were also on a list to be addressed in some way?

If they did, then yes, I would be convinced they were doing it as a sign of perceived cultural stewardship, not to "look good".

That's been my issue with this from the beginning; if those who truly are offended at the ride ( despite Disney going above and beyond to excise the racist elements from the movie and leave the inherently inoffensive characters/ concepts), are really, truly losing sleep over the ride and believe it is a symbol of systemic racism or feel it has no place in a modern theme park, then they need to be consistent intellectually speaking. Otherwise, it looks to me like an insincere cause, and while I hate the connotation of the phrase, they are looking for a scalp, and Disney is looking to just avoid bad PR.

SamusAranX

They can still change those attractions, though. Maybe they're next on Disney's list. It's not possible to change everything all at once.

They haven't changed those (and again, I can provide an exhaustive list) because nobody has protested them yet on Twitter, at least loudly enough. But now that the precedent has been set....rider beware.

NelsonRD

The key here is "some people uncomfortable". How much is some people?

As an Italian, I am incredibly offended by Jersey Shore, I avoid all aspects of it at all cost, but I am also not planning on any campaign for censoring it either, and that is way more in my face than a 75 year old movie.

Brer Oswald

I understand your sentiment. But your grouping several different people because they all appreciate a theme park attraction. They’re obviously going to react differently. They aren’t all my alt accounts or something.

This isn’t much better than the “All Splash fans are racist” attention clowns on Twitter. It’s extremely ignorant, and it’s not going to stop the comments you find so irritating. It just fuels the fire.

_caleb

If they did, then yes, I would be convinced they were doing it as a sign of perceived cultural stewardship, not to "look good".

That's been my issue with this from the beginning; if those who truly are offended at the ride ( despite Disney going above and beyond to excise the racist elements from the movie and leave the inherently inoffensive characters/ concepts), are really, truly losing sleep over the ride and believe it is a symbol of systemic racism or feel it has no place in a modern theme park, then they need to be consistent intellectually speaking. Otherwise, it looks to me like an insincere cause, and while I hate the connotation of the phrase, they are looking for a scalp, and Disney is looking to just avoid bad PR.
Thanks. I respect your desire for consistency on Disney's part.

You may remember @WDW Pro's post back in June that Disney had launched an internal "Attractions Diversity and Values Review Team that is reported to have a list of attractions they'd like to see addressed in some way, consistent with Disney's stated values.

While there may be some PR benefit for announcing changes to "problematic" rides and attractions, believe the effort to make these kinds of changes are motivated by more than just money.

Brer Oswald

I don’t care if it’s on some list. The offensive stereotypes of First Nations and natives are still running today in Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise respectively. Announce that you’re taking them out now. There shouldn’t even be a speck of doubt about it, it should’ve been confirmed years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom