News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MythBuster

Agree with this. After looking at the maps it would be a rather large New Orleans Square area If they went all the way down to PoTC. I do think they could just start with the area right next to Splash and have that be the transition back to New Orleans Square. They could ramp up to a Pedestrian train bridge for the transition. Then the Splash show building would be a fake facade looking like a New Orleans style town and the backstage building on the other side of the street could be used for a restaurant or theater for a show. Then have the street end in the queue for Splash. They could also build a transition by the queue back to Frontierland and the train station too.

Edit: In the picture below the blue line would be the path of the street with a pedestrian bridge over the train tracks, and the backstage areas blocked off. They would have to relocate whatever is in the big building across from the Splash show building but then use that space for a restaurant, shops and maybe a show or meet and greet area.
View attachment 480223

That would never work.
1. It block access from Gate 3, it is the main road for supplies and equipment for Main Street, Jungle Cruise, Pirates and the rest of Adventureland including Splash, Big Thunder, and the parades.

2. It would block all the Splash Mountain maintenance access.

3. It would go right by the AVAC bldg and no matter how you would re-theme it, that place still stinks.

4. The big building behind Splash is for Parade Storage and Maintenance, so maybe get rid of the parade floats?

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Did they really think this through?
download (4).jpeg

MerlinTheGoat

Wow, this is worrisome. I don’t think Disney will stoop to the lowest level like they did with the incredicoaster, so I really hope they don’t fabricate a bunch of fiberglass statues of the characters like they did for the incredicoaster. This also worries me about animatronic removal, since I’d assume they would remove a handful to save maintenance costs😕
Back in 2014, PhotoDave219 (who used to post here and was often a good source of information) stated that Frozen at Epcot was approved at $75 million (after a significant 40% cut apparently). I believe this included the ride along with new restrooms and meet & greet facilities. I don't know how much was spent on the ride itself, but one would think a significant portion. Perhaps $50 million, though someone who knows the exact amount can clarify. The reason I bring this up is to give some perspective about what that budget gets you in the modern era. A very small handful of somewhat advanced face-projected AA's, and a lot of barren corridors with projections on the walls.

The original Splash Mountain at Disneyland by contrast also had a reported budget of $75 million. Most animatronics were reused, but they still had to create an entirely new building, ride system, scenery etc etc. It was still a very expensive attraction for the time, but imagineering was far less bloated and much much better at managing costs back then.

I'm not sure what the budgets for WDW and Tokyo Splash Mtn were. They share similarities but largely have very different and more detailed scenery, a somewhat different ride system, and a handful of more advanced AA's (though slightly fewer in quantity). Regardless of the version though, if modern Disney were to gut and replace most of the interior Splash Mtn scenes with the same amount of quality scenery and number of AA's (assuming their creative teams even have the capacity to do so anymore), it would still likely cost at least 3-4 times more than the original's $75 million.

WDW Pro (whose source was correct about Splash Mtn and other attractions being looked at for overhauls several weeks ago) has thrown out $50 million for this PATF overhaul. I don't know if this was an assumption, or a number shared by the source, but I assume it was the latter. That in and of itself is a pathetic amount. That's comparable to what I ballparked for the Frozen ride, but stretched far thinner due to Splash Mtn being an immensely longer ride with far more scenes to have to deal with.

The alleged budget I saw was even lower... Which is a disaster if true, but honestly either of these amounts is absolutely unacceptable. Even with the best and brightest creatives involved (assuming there's even anyone left at the company who could match Tony Baxter and the original Splash Mtn team), doing justice to the original scenery detail and animatronics in Splash Mtn would require a budget of several hundred million.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

I heard a possible proposed budget. I'm very likely not supposed to share it (a handful of other people here including @Animaniac93-98 and @the.dreamfinder etc probably know this by now as well). And it could always change. Hopefully so, though I more hope this project is thrown in the trash outright. But if it remains relatively accurate by final approval (or somehow manages to get even worse), then be very afraid because its far worse than even I was expecting.
It’s waay lower than FEA or Mission:BREAKOUT.

Money would be better spent on actual anti-racist initiatives. Perhaps the money could be spent lobbying for mandatory K-16 Slavery/Anti-Racism education in the states where Disney has a major presence like California, Connecticut, Florida, and New York. Not unlike the mandatory Holocaust education programs that already exist in said states.

_caleb

If you do the second version of what you're suggesting then Pirates is in a weird limbo of Caribbean Plaza and your new New Orleans square. You'd have to adjust the queue and shop of Pirates as well as part of the ride (there aren't any Spanish forts in New Orleans).
Well, technically (sorry): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fort_(New_Orleans)

I know what you mean- A New Orleans Square-type theming would then make a new awkward transition from Pirates. Though many people don’t know about the Spanish influence in New Orleans:

_caleb

Escape a burning town via a massive drop! That was part of the original plan. There’s no reason not to build WRE. If you review Marc Davis’ designs, very few of the jokes were racially insensitive, and they could easily be swapped today. The caricatures would’ve been on the same level as POTC, and would’ve been consistently applied to all humans anyway. WRE would actually make sense here.
I’m all for more Marc Davis in the parks! I don’t think they’d even consider this, though. I’m actually thinking that “Lead Imagineer“ and “Executive Consultant” will be two roles Disney starts to promote in relation to rides/rethemes like this (As they are doing with Charita Carter and Tony Baxter) to show who is “responsible” for the content of a ride (and who they can throw under the bus if things don’t work out with the public according to plan).

Last edited:

_caleb

Wow, this is worrisome. I don’t think Disney will stoop to the lowest level like they did with the incredicoaster, so I really hope they don’t fabricate a bunch of fiberglass statues of the characters like they did for the incredicoaster. This also worries me about animatronic removal, since I’d assume they would remove a handful to save maintenance costs😕
“Frog on a Stick“ would be very bad.

_caleb

That assumes the boat is staying.
I’ve always noticed how “cheaply“ the riverboat was done in DL’s Splash Mountain. The one MK at least looks like a boat. Have you heard that these may not be reused? Or just speculating?

Last edited:

_caleb

I agree the characters look cheap, but sadly enough, that's still considered an "upgrade" from the former California Screamin' theme of track & beams.
I've always argued that creating a land themed to carnivals & piers was a terrible idea for Disney's standards from the get-go, making it hard to level up to theming/ambiance we expect from the Mouse, even when upgrades are added.
I agree with you now that I’ve seen what they’ve done with it. As a native Disneylander, I actually really liked the pre-Pixar Pier version of the Paradise Pier because it felt like they captured the vibe of the boardwalk/pier/carnival. But you’re right, those things–even the ornate historic ones—were always ”cheaply” made and beneath (IMHO) Disney standards for quality. So when they tried to plus them with Pixar, well... we can all see how that worked out.

Lirael

My biggest fear is that they do a Maeltrom-Frozen. Not in the animatronics sense, but in the "thrill" part sense. The Frozen ride completely removed any actual thrill towards the "fall" part. I know they aren't going to remove the drop from Splash Mountain (since that is its entire purpose), but I hope they don't remove the suspense you currently have before you drop. The soundtrack and the evil looking birds add to the experience of the fall for me. PatF does have that possibility with Doctor Facilier and all, so I hope they use it instead of just revamping to a lot of happy singing and pretty images.

Bocabear

I feel sure they will not be building a New Orleans square around the ride...the theming will most likely be Bayou country which is not far from what it currently is... With the ride being set in the South and with critters, it is not a huge jump to go with critters in a southern bayou... Just hoping that they do what is necessary to make it a better ride...not just an overlay in the cheapest sense.

_caleb

My biggest fear is that they do a Maeltrom-Frozen. Not in the animatronics sense, but in the "thrill" part sense. The Frozen ride completely removed any actual thrill towards the "fall" part. I know they aren't going to remove the drop from Splash Mountain (since that is its entire purpose), but I hope they don't remove the suspense you currently have before you drop. The soundtrack and the evil looking birds add to the experience of the fall for me. PatF does have that possibility with Doctor Facilier and all, so I hope they use it instead of just revamping to a lot of happy singing and pretty images.
I noticed this, and figured they removed the “thrill” of the drop in Maelstrom in order to make the ride more little-kid-friendly, given the Wider audience of the Frozen theme. I agree the suspense going up to the top of the drop in Splash is key to the thrill of the Mountain, so I hope they can maintain that in the retheme.

jt04

I heard a possible proposed budget. I'm very likely not supposed to share it (a handful of other people here including @Animaniac93-98 and @the.dreamfinder etc probably know this by now as well). And it could always change. Hopefully so, though I more hope this project is thrown in the trash outright. But if it remains relatively accurate by final approval (or somehow manages to get even worse), then be very afraid because its far worse than even I was expecting.

I'd rather wait for insider sources that have a better track record. And not so trope inclined.

jt04

Well, technically (sorry): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fort_(New_Orleans)

I know what you mean- A New Orleans Square-type theming would then make a new awkward transition from Pirates. Though many people don’t know about the Spanish influence in New Orleans:

Also,

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And that’s precisely what I’m afraid of. I really really don’t want a literal “Tiana’s Greatest Hits” experience.
The Frozen Ever After treatment is my nightmare scenario.
Frozen Ever After doesn't even attempt to have a plot (one of the many problems with the ride). I think they almost have to have a plot for this ride because it's so long with so many show scenes.

Surprised you all feel that way about Festival of the Lion King.

You know, an attraction that takes place *after* the movie and is a celebration of and by the characters, and recycles the music from the movie.

Or did y'all want just another 'Book Report' ride? Because, I hear a lot of derision on these forums about 'Book Report' rides that just rehash the plot of the movie.

Jedijax719

The only reservation about re-theming Splash to Tiana is that PATF wouldn't necessarily fit into the theme of Frontierland. It would feel a bit out of place. But there is SO much visual that can be tied into the attraction part of the ride that I think people could forget about whether it fits in for a moment and appreciate all they can do with it. Just hope the outside doesn't stick out too much like a sore thumb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom