Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Dear Prudence

And yes, if they get anything close to Compass of Your Heart it would be a win, but that’s probably unrealistic. My family still randomly sings “Compass” all the time, despite the fact that 1. we haven’t been on the ride in four years and 2. it is mostly in Japanese. Alan Menken wrote Compass though, and he’s a much better songwriter IMO.
Alan Menken is a vastly superior composer and pop song writer. "If Only" from THE LITTLE MERMAID is one of the greatest of the Disney Broadway songs, hands down. Like Newman writing q new song might be okay, if it's a co-write.

Edit: I just think it bears repeating that no one here wants this project to fail. Being critical isn't automatically being a "hater." You can be critical of the things you care about, it's good for you.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

He's from Los Angeles, and his mother is from NOLA, his Southern accent is put on. He also sings like a vacuum cleaner, writes the same 3 chords over and over with banal middle school lyrics. Almost There and When She Loved Me only work because they have two of the world's most capable singers to offset.

That being said, I think he's been awarded so many opportunities he doesn't deserve, and if they're going to re tool the current attraction with the new theme, they're going to need a lot of work on that score. I know this is also supposed to tie into the new Disney Plus show, and while I hope the entire ride isn't just a commercial for it, that we get new songs like the Tangled series, and that maybe one sneaks into the attraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Prudence

I have to agree. I think "I Love LA" is a fun anthem, but the rest of his work I'm not crazy about.

He makes music about a person who hates short people and songs from the perspective of a person that hates african americans? I don't get it or identify with it at all.

Compare his "satire" to Joe Jackson's Real Men. That's how you do satire right.

Wouldn't it be cool is they hired a NOLA band leader for the new arrangements, though? Regardless of how anyone feels about the music of Splash, the Harmonies on the DL version are some of the best choral work in the park.

celluloid

I just don't see what makes Princess and the Frog a good film for representation. It's directed by two white guys with music by a white guy. Should have some awesome new orleans jazz music and not the Toy Story piano bopper guy.

Disneyland's Splash music is so much better than WDWs for the harmonies alone.

Its about that Plush and PR that is why.

Brer Panther

If I may, I will agree that The Princess and the Frog has great songs. As I've said before, I do not dislike the film. I just don't like that Disney is using it as a weapon against Splash Mountain.

And even if it was, there are other songs still bring played in the parks that are using actual slurs, and literally no one is coming for them. I am not playing the who suffers more game, that's not my MO. I am just annoyed about the cherry picked virtue signaling on whatever gains the most clout. Most of the people who cite it are referring to that one podcast, run by an incredible rich person who bought her education (her college was a pay to play) and uses POC pain as clickbait. The actual former minstrel songs that are supposed to have inspired zip still play in the parks.
I've said this before, too, but I'm pretty sure it just stems from the fact that Song of the South, regardless as to whether or not it is racist, is an easy target.
Peter Pan's Flight queue music
Does "What Made the Red Man Red?" play as part of the queue music loop for the attraction? If so, yeesh...

Dear Prudence

I think they're referring to "Following the Leader" which has the word "Injuns" as part of the lyrics, I don't believe WMTRMR is part of the queue loop.
For DL: On top of FTL, some of the music that (I guess) is supposed to be the Native theme (when they're surrounding the Lost Boys). One of the other parks does have WMTRMR, but I can't remember which one.

The Mom

Premium Member
Here is a white guy using his voice to make fun of and exaggerate stereotyped black dialect in "Princess and the Frog"

It's the same issues people have with Song of the South but cause it's modern Disney people overlook it. In 10 years or so people will realize how this film is problematic.

At the end of the day you have a company ran almost entirely by white people making and greelighting these films that are supposed to be representative of other cultures.

I'm not sure when or if they'll ever get it right.

Actually, it's Cajun dialect (the character clearly states that he is Cajun) and that is how they speak.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I appreciate you. 💜
If African Americans weren’t allowed to vote in many parts of the country during that time, it’s actually quite easy to believe that Natives weren’t given the freedom to practice their religion.

I’m not as educated as I’d like to be on Native history and topics, but I did write a research paper on college retention amongst Natives/Indigenous when I was in my educational counseling Master’s program. What I learned was very disturbing and depressing, though I wasn’t surprised to come across the information I was gathering. Truly awful.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I sincerely apologize for drawing a comparison to the Native village and Aunt Jemima's Pancake House. It wasn't my intention, I was thinking of how these elements were changed and if they went away quietly at the time without the scrutiny of a fan base, particularly online.
I don’t think you need to apologize, as I think it’s obvious you mentioned the village and Aunt Jemima because they each respectively were poor representations of two marginalized racial groups. They may not be comparable to each other, but mentioning them in the same sentence makes sense at the same time.

Dear Prudence

I sincerely apologize for drawing a comparison to the Native village and Aunt Jemima's Pancake House. It wasn't my intention, I was thinking of how these elements were changed and if they went away quietly at the time without the scrutiny of a fan base, particularly online.
I mean, you brought up a decent point. People think it went away because of a moral calling, when in fact, it's because they didn't want to pay people what they're worthy, and got more use out of the space by turning into shops and animatronic bears. Much like the ranch turning into Batuu.

Brer Panther

People think it went away because of a moral calling, when in fact, it's because they didn't want to pay people what they're worthy,
Kind of like how people think Disney is retheming Splash Mountain because of a moral calling, when in fact it's because people demanded the attraction be rethemed to The Princess and the Frog online (and so that they can be "free" of Song of the South's existence or whatever).

Brer Panther

You are correct. Disney made it clear the proposal was made a year before it was announced.
They were most likely lying. I find it way, way too much of a coincidence that they just so happened to have the very same attraction idea in development that so many people were demanding. Unless the push online to get the attraction rethemed was orchestrated by Disney to avoid backlash for retheming such a popular attraction, or Frederick Chambers found out about the concept and presented it as his own idea for personal gain, I sincerely doubt Disney is telling the truth.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Isn’t it accepted now that Disney just used the “Song of the South is offensive” narrative to cover up their actual motive, which is creating synergy between the revamped ride and the Disney+ Princess and the Frog show?
Not only that, but Disney doesn’t like being in the spotlight for something negative.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You are correct. Disney made it clear the proposal was made a year before it was announced. I think the petitions, which got as minimal coverage as any Disney story, expedited their announcement, as it was clear the project was only a concept at that point.
Yep. It’s not hard to believe that Disney had already made plans to give Splash the ax. They’ve been going down this road for years now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom