Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BasiltheBatLord

The amount of time it takes for a film to be turned into a ride at a Disney theme park after its release date in theaters literally has nothing to do with its popularity as a film. Just caught that.
This is correct (see Lion King)

I don’t get where this argument is coming from that PatF has always been popular though. It’s legacy up till now had always been that it underperformed and didn’t have the cultural staying power a lot of people were expecting (it’s also almost totally unknown outside the U.S.)

brb1006

I don’t get where this argument is coming from that PatF has always been popular though. It’s legacy up till now had always been that it underperformed and didn’t have the cultural staying power a lot of people were expecting (it’s also almost totally unknown outside the U.S.)
Yeah, PatF has zero presence at the overseas parks (notably Paris and Tokyo).

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

I haven’t seen the argument that PatF has always been popular. But people are underestimating just how popular the film and characters have gotten over time.

Brer Panther

Where is everybody getting the "Princess and the Frog has always been popular" thing from? I remember the film always being well-liked, but considered underrated for years. It was never even as promoted as Tangled, let alone something like Frozen.

PiratesMansion

Films that flopped upon initial release that have since become beloved classics and/or have had theme park attractions based upon them:
-Pinocchio
-Fantasia
-Bambi
-Alice in Wonderland
-The Black Cauldron (see: Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour)

Films that were considered successful upon release but are now somewhat forgotten and/or have never had park attractions based on them:
-The Rescuers
-Lady and the Tramp

Box Office has nothing to do with whether or not things are built in the parks and/or overall audience reception, especially over time. Can we please stop the repetitive and tired "but it was a flop" back and forth? If you don't like the retheme, fine, but this fixation on box office or perceived popularity of PATF is basically irrelevant wheel spinning at this point.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Films that flopped upon initial release that have since become beloved classics and/or have had theme park attractions based upon them:
-Pinocchio
-Fantasia
-Bambi
-Alice in Wonderland
-The Black Cauldron (see: Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour)

Films that were considered successful upon release but are now somewhat forgotten and/or have never had park attractions based on them:
-The Rescuers
-Lady and the Tramp

Box Office has nothing to do with whether or not things are built in the parks and/or overall audience reception, especially over time. Can we please stop the repetitive and tired "but it was a flop" back and forth? If you don't like the retheme, fine, but this fixation on box office or perceived popularity of PATF is basically irrelevant wheel spinning at this point.
Isn’t The Little Mermaid considered the film that got Disney back on track in terms of making popular films? It took decades for it to get its own ride.

I think it’s obvious some are using PatF’s box office numbers as a means to attack the logical decision to use it to re-theme Splash. But as you stated, it doesn’t hold any weight at all.

Roger_the_pianist

I think the newly released concept and inspiration art is great and gives us an idea that this will be a new story (not a book report ride) almost like a sequel to the film. Seems we are looking at a storyline of the search for the lost trumpet guided by fire flies (honestly we call them lightnin' bugs in the south) and we will encounter a water fall along the way. I imagine it will use projection effects and have a similar *wow* factor as the enhancement we see in Snow White. I'm excited 💙💙💙💙💙

SuddenStorm

"Ms. Carmen we were talking about New Orleans and how important it is to Tiana's story and how incredible this place is. I have to ask- we're not done with New Orleans. How are we digging deeper into the culture here and really putting it on display?"

Ms. Carmen- "While first of all, you're right we're not finished. We're taking probably monthly trips here to New Orleans because for us- and Charita is brilliant at this- we want to make sure that the story we're telling is authentic. We're not the authenticators, we're bringing the people of New Orleans into the story helping us better understand it. When we look at the spaces that the ride will be filling it is how do we take New Orleans and bring it to people. Sort of like a
channel where people say 'My God, that's what New Orleans is all about? I have to get there!' So for us it's really exemplifying all the greatness of it so people find their way back to New Orleans."

Ms. Carter- "And to be able to bring forth that spirit and vibe of that amazing city we have to immerse ourselves. We have to walk the streets and have conversations and it's like a real privilege. We have to have our guests from all of the world say "this is a really important place" and our guests from New Orleans say 'they did it. this is my home. they got it right.' And that's why we are so diligent in our research wanting to make sure we're immersing ourselves in this culture."

I mean, they're talking like Disneyland hasn't had a famous land based entirely around New Orleans for over 50 years. Didn't Walt take a few trips out and go to antique shops and stuff while planning New Orleans Square?

SuddenStorm

I think the newly released concept and inspiration art is great and gives us an idea that this will be a new story (not a book report ride) almost like a sequel to the film. Seems we are looking at a storyline of the search for the lost trumpet guided by fire flies (honestly we call them lightnin' bugs in the south) and we will encounter a water fall along the way. I imagine it will use projection effects and have a similar *wow* factor as the enhancement we see in Snow White. I'm excited 💙💙💙💙💙

Jim Hill leaked this storyline about a year ago. Personally, I think chasing a lost trumpet is a rather mediocre plotline for a major attraction at Disneyland.

Roger_the_pianist

Well you have an original Splash character as your profile pic so we can guess your take on any development of this project.

Things change. Lots of people are looking forward to this.

SuddenStorm

Well you have an original Splash character as your profile pic so we can guess your take on any development of this project.

Things change. Lots of people are looking forward to this.

I actually hate Splash Mountain. Can't stand it. I say gut it and bring back the original Bear Country entrance.

I'm really just an America Sings fan at heart!

Tamandua

Jim Hill leaked this storyline about a year ago. Personally, I think chasing a lost trumpet is a rather mediocre plotline for a major attraction at Disneyland.
To be fair, Rise of the Resistance has a really flimsy storyline as well.

"We're going to the base, but if we get caught, don't tell the first order where the base is and try to escape."

It's painfully obvious that they designed the ride without having any sense of where the movies were going. PatF is like 12 years old and not in the middle of an ongoing series, so I would expect more from the story.

SuddenStorm

To be fair, Rise of the Resistance has a really flimsy storyline as well.

"We're going to the base, but if we get caught, don't tell the first order where the base is and try to escape."

It's painfully obvious that they designed the ride without having any sense of where the movies were going. PatF is like 12 years old and not in the middle of an ongoing series, so I would expect more from the story.

I don't consider Rise of the Resistance to be solid Imagineering either. It's a large attraction and the effects are neat- but it doesn't connect with the rider like a Star Wars ride should. I'm sure it's going to remain popular for another 10 years or so, but it won't be timeless like Mansion, Splash, or Pirates. It's visually stunning but it lacks the soul necessary to be a timeless attraction at Disneyland.

If Rise was the original trilogy- so Darth Vader and Tarkin instead of Ren and Hux, Han instead of Finn, Leia instead of Rey, and Luke instead of Poe it would do a ton to help but it's definitely not the best WDI has done.

SplashGhost

I don't consider Rise of the Resistance to be solid Imagineering either. It's a large attraction and the effects are neat- but it doesn't connect with the rider like a Star Wars ride should. I'm sure it's going to remain popular for another 10 years or so, but it won't be timeless like Mansion, Splash, or Pirates. It's visually stunning but it lacks the soul necessary to be a timeless attraction at Disneyland.

If Rise was the original trilogy- so Darth Vader and Tarkin instead of Ren and Hux, Han instead of Finn, Leia instead of Rey, and Luke instead of Poe it would do a ton to help but it's definitely not the best WDI has done.

I think Rise is far and away the best that WDI has done (in terms of US attractions) since Indiana Jones Adventure. However, the decision to have the Sequel Trilogy characters in it over the Original Trilogy characters is going to badly age it as more and more people forget the sequels. That said, it wasn't WDI's fault that they had to work with the Sequel Trilogy characters, it was Iger who made them focus Galaxy's Edge on the Sequel Trilogy.

SuddenStorm

I think Rise is far and away the best that WDI has done (in terms of US attractions) since Indiana Jones Adventure. However, the decision to have the Sequel Trilogy characters in it over the Original Trilogy characters is going to badly age it as more and more people forget the sequels. That said, it wasn't WDI's fault that they had to work with the Sequel Trilogy characters, it was Iger who made them focus Galaxy's Edge on the Sequel Trilogy.

Strangely, I prefer Soarin' Over California or Radiator Springs Racers over Rise of the Resistance. But I admit I'm far more lenient on attractions not inside Disneyland Park.

SplashGhost

Strangely, I prefer Soarin' Over California or Radiator Springs Racers over Rise of the Resistance. But I admit I'm far more lenient on attractions not inside Disneyland Park.

I kind of hold all Disney attractions to the same standards, but I am more lenient on rides outside Disney Parks as I realize they don't have the enormous and extravagant budgets that Disney has, so it is easier to let some flaws slide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom