Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Rich T

I swear, never before in the history of humanity has a group of people gotten so upset over a singing bunny’s pending removal. In my youth, it went like this: You showed up for your annual summer visit, went to ride Inner Space, and found it gone forever, replaced by a gutted building...

...and a lying CM telling you, no, this was NOT going to have anything to do with the rumored Star Wars ride.

el_super

In my youth, it went like this: You showed up for your annual summer visit, went to ride Inner Space, and found it gone forever, replaced by a gutted building...

LOL YEP... I remember my first trip after America Sings closed and being shocked it wasn't headline news. Then I went on the PeopleMover and forgot all about it.

I wonder what the headlines today would say about America the Beautiful being replaced by Wonders of China.

SplashGhost

I was going to try to make that 3 Day SoCal Discount Ticket I got last, but I am thinking I am needing to go very soon. I didn't get to do Splash last time because the wait was really high all day and it broke down for the rest of the night as soon as I got in line. I have a deep fear of the parks closing for a year again, and by the time they reopen, Chapek will already be putting the screens up in Splash Mountain.

CaptinEO

They'll most likely do a farewell. When's the last time a ride at Disney closed without merch recently?
Captain EO was closed without merch and without warning. So was It's Tough To Be a Bi
Because neither were particularly popular with the public, especially by the time they closed.

By contrast, Splash Mountain is one of the most iconic attractions of all of the Disney parks.
Yes they were. Just saw a packed showing of Tough To Be A Bug this week at Animal Kingdom.

PiratesMansion

Yes they were. Just saw a packed showing of Tough To Be A Bug this week at Animal Kingdom.
Different resorts, different guest dynamics. Muppets and ITTBAB still play to busy houses in Florida, hence they still exist there (though it's worth noting that even Florida closed EO). That's why Florida still has so many AA shows: people fill the theaters. By contrast, ITTBAB was NOT playing to packed houses when it closed in California, a resort where guests famously DO NOT love static shows most of the time.

See also: Carousel of Progress (sure, it technically moved because GE wanted it to, but it may well have met the same fate anyway had they not done that), Country Bears, America Sings, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Muppetvision, and eventually PhilharMagic will join them. Tiki Room and Lincoln are the exceptions, not the rule, and have legacy status that protects them (at least, for the time being).

SplashGhost

I was at Disneyland today, 7/29/21, and my visit was vastly better than my last one since I got three Splash Mountain rides in. I have such a deep and personal connection to this ride, and my time with it today reminded me of how much it meant to me. For me personally, Splash Mountain is my Disneyland. Sure, Disneyland existed before Splash Mountain, but Splash Mountain is the ride that means the most to me in the park and it encapsulates everything I love about Disneyland.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
You should accept its problematic status regardless of whether you like the ride or not. The two are not tied together.

Splash is not problematic. Zip a dee doo dah is not problematic. Singing critters are not problematic.

SotS the movie is, but a lot of us millennials haven't seen it unless they went way out of their way to watch it. Disney likes to pretend it doesn't exist so how are we supposed to know about it anyway?

Splash has been around since 89 (or 1959 if you ask chapek) and last I checked, it has more love than it does concern.

wdrive

I've never made a statement about how many people love the ride, don't like it, don't care, or want it changed or not.

People who make such statements have the burden to prove they're right.

I don’t really mind, people can state their opinions on this website I don’t mind. You’re the one who jumps down people’s throats to prove themselves when you don’t agree with them. Why don’t you prove that the poster is wrong?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t really mind, people can state their opinions on this website I don’t mind. You’re the one who jumps down people’s throats to prove themselves when you don’t agree with them. Why don’t you prove that the poster is wrong?
That's not how things work.

If I say Pluto is made of cheese. And you say, "No it's not." Then it is bad faith for me to say to you, "Prove it." If I made the claim, I should have to show it's true.

Thus, if you or anyone else says, "People hate this," then it's not up to me to prove that's false, it's up to you to prove it's true.

Roger_the_pianist

I will say as a 12 yo kid in about 2001 on a first trip to Disneyworld, I was pretty confused as to why there was an Uncle Remus ride. My grandparents (in Tennessee, pretty close to where Song of the South is set) had the Walt Disney Uncle Remus book that included many more tales than the film, but we weren't allowed to go get that book for our grandmother to read aloud because the dialect was so troublesome.

That dialect continues in the ride . I know people argue "that's how people TALKED back then"...but these dialects have been used to continue a narrative that groups of people are uneducated, superstitious, and less than others.

This is where we really get to a point being made that yes, the ride itself is racist.

wdrive

That's not how things work.

If I say Pluto is made of cheese. And you say, "No it's not." Then it is bad faith for me to say to you, "Prove it." If I made the claim, I should have to show it's true.

Thus, if you or anyone else says, "People hate this," then it's not up to me to prove that's false, it's up to you to prove it's true.

Why? Who’s to say that’s the way things must be proved?

And anyway, people do hate that Splash Mountain is being rethemed. This thread has plenty of people who would suggest that it’s hated. Plenty of people are okay with it too. But lots of people hate it. It’s okay to disagree with opinions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom