Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
If they won’t even restock merch now, what makes you think they’ll do it when they want to have a last farewell? They’re probably just going to let the ride die with no fanfare.
They'll most likely do a farewell. When's the last time a ride at Disney closed without merch recently?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Then there’s no need to get rid of it.

If it’s tied to a “problematic” or at a minimum unknown (by virtue of self-censorship) IP, it creates a challenge when the “brain” of the company is run by marketing and consumer products division.

If you are an Exec, you can’t “sell” a product you’re either ashamed of or for which your target audience doesn’t know exists. Whether we as fans like it or not, the mandate from the WDC Exec is to maximize synergies and revenue streams from existing attractions (nostalgia be darned) which includes selling attraction merchandise and tying what guests see at the park to what they can watch (and subscribe to) on Disney+.

Perhaps we could argue the Execs don’t understand the product they’re selling, that there’s too much focus on squeezing revenue over historical company/brand legacy. I certainly wouldn’t disagree, but it is very purposeful. The same goes for the dissolution of CM perks, the declining guest experience, in addition to disregard for nostalgia. But it’s the classic 21st century MBA mindset that keeps shareholders coming back for more.

el_super

So the rides horribly racist but not racist enough to close now but one day will be too racist?
What a mess

More like "we know the ride is a problem and we're working on it... give us some time."

Closing the ride outright, would have presented additional operational challenges, and Disney doesn't see the need to introduce new problems while trying to resolve this one. It's smart business.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Y’all, all I’m saying is that if there’s nothing wrong with X, you don’t destroy it because it’s related to the problematic Y. Do you think it is equally just to arrest a wife for the crimes of her husband? Or a brother for the wrongdoings of his sister? Relation to wickedness is not wickedness itself and thus it is undeserving of punishment.

I don’t agree with it but there are many individuals on a professional level that are very concerned about guilt by association. Even to the extent that I’ve known friends that changed their last names, etc.

There’s also a cottage industries focused on reputation defending and of course public officials constantly have to manage their families reputations.

wdrive

Some people really just need to get over it. It’s done. The decision is made.

Disney owns the property, they have determined it was terribly racist long ago, and they no longer want any part in it.

Let it go.

It’s a discussion board, you’re free not to take part if you don’t like it. There’s plenty of discussions on this website I have no part in because I simply don’t care.

If they have determined that it is terribly racist then it’s absolutely outrageous that they are still operating the attraction today.

Disney Analyst

It’s a discussion board, you’re free not to take part if you don’t like it. There’s plenty of discussions on this website I have no part in because I simply don’t care.

If they have determined that it is terribly racist then it’s absolutely outrageous that they are still operating the attraction today.

A discussion going in circles currently, with nothing new brought to the table... It's just the same group ranting about inevitable change as society learns, moves forward, and grows.

All I see is people refusing to accept reality.

I rewatched Peter Pan the other night for the first time since I was a kid. I honestly can't believe how badly racist it is. The way Indigenous people are portrayed... it is shocking.

wdrive

A discussion going in circles currently, with nothing new brought to the table... It's just the same group ranting about inevitable change as society learns, moves forward, and grows.

All I see is people refusing to accept reality.

I rewatched Peter Pan the other night for the first time since I was a kid. I honestly can't believe how badly racist it is. The way Indigenous people are portrayed... it is shocking.

I’m relatively new to the discussion and enjoying myself, I don’t see the problem, you don’t have to read.
I know what the reality is, I don’t have to like it though, and again I’m free to discuss that here. Feel free to block me if I bore you, no hard feelings.

I agree, some of Peter Pan is racist. Would you be in favour of ripping out Peter Pan’s Flight, firing the face characters and taking down Tinkerbells wire for the fireworks? Because that’s how I feel they are reacting to Splash Mountain.

Disney Analyst

I’m relatively new to the discussion and enjoying myself, I don’t see the problem, you don’t have to read.
I know what the reality is, I don’t have to like it though, and again I’m free to discuss that here. Feel free to block me if I bore you, no hard feelings.

I agree, some of Peter Pan is racist. Would you be in favour of ripping out Peter Pan’s Flight, firing the face characters and taking down Tinkerbells wire for the fireworks? Because that’s how I feel they are reacting to Splash Mountain.

If you can't see a difference between an entire film that is inherently racist, and has been banned by Disney for... decades, and films that have racist depictions in parts of the films, and the measures Disney is now taking to address those instances...

I don't see how there is much more to discuss.

wdrive

If you can't see a difference between an entire film that is inherently racist, and has been banned by Disney for... decades, and films that have racist depictions in parts of the films, and the measures Disney is now taking to address those instances...

I don't see how there is much more to discuss.

I’d say in terms of attractions Splash Mountain has no racist elements, Peter Pan’s Flight does. That’s makes Pan’s Flight way worse in my book. Not that I’m in favour of getting rid of that either.

Have you seen Song of the South?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom