Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
2011, I am a WDW goer mainly
Yeah.

Well I encourage you to visit MK as much as possible and make peace with what will most likely happen. Or you can continue to have these ridiculous views about the way others are handling this. Someone being artsy and making something creative surrounding this project doesn’t mean they don’t care about Splash Mountain. It’s just so absurd to believe that, and even if they didn’t care, so what?

Rich T

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you never liked Splash.
You are talking to someone who watched Splash get built, was disappointed when the opening was delayed, listened to the ride soundtrack demos, unsuccessfully tried to bribe test-riding construction workers into sneaking me on, and finally was one of the first guests on Earth to ride it.

And I loved it, in spite of its flaws. Pure fun. But even back then, I was surprised by the choice of source material, and I thought, “Someday, the other shoe’s gonna drop, and they’ll have to change out the story.” I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I stopped riding Splash after they replaced the semi-original logs (which replaced the logs that caused the opening delay) with the new CA-Approved, moron-resistant model. The new logs turned the ride into a drench-a-thon. 😃

Brer Panther

Or it's them sailing off to have more adventures when Tiana and Co are in Chickapin
Yes, but why are they leaving Chickapin Hill in the first place? Because Iger and Chapek banished them from the park.
Now, stop that. 😃 I’m no fan of the Bobs, but any CEO at this point would make the same decision.

The SotS Splash Mtn. made a lot of people happy in a pre-internet world where most guests had never heard of SotS.

Times change, social media is a thing, and SotS is a mediocre film full of imagary and moments that make today’s viewers cringe, wince and say What the ___. And those scenes are now all over the internet for anyone to see and be repulsed by.

Disneyland does not exist in a bubble. It never has. There is no way SotS Splash could have continued much longer. Thank goodness they chose a solid movie for the retheme with a music score that fits (the quality of the redo remains to be seen). Just be glad it’s not becoming the Pooh Sticks Log Flume.
The internet became a big thing around 1995, according to Google. Splash Mountain lasted for years after the internet became a thing and more people started finding out about Song of the South. It's not like the ride being based on Song of the South was a secret before 2020. And yet, nobody gave the ride a hard time because none of the imagery and moments that have made people cringe for years are actually in the ride. It wasn't until 2020 that people started turning on the ride. And I'm sorry, but if Frederick Chambers hadn't posted his idea for a retheme of the ride on Twitter, none of it would have happened.
However nobody here wants it to happen.
Rich T seems to. That Mister Penguin guy seems to, too.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It wasn't until 2020 that people started turning on the ride. And I'm sorry, but if Frederick Chambers hadn't posted his idea for a retheme of the ride on Twitter, none of it would have happened.
Last year at this time we were in the middle of a race movement. Do you remember how many things went under scrutiny for their racial content? Disney even put warning labels over Dumbo, Peter Pan, ect.. for one or two things that got them dinged. Song Of the South has been a blackmark to Disney for years, regardless of the ride. Did you really think they'd let Classic Splash last much longer after that? The ride based on a film they not only refuse to but can't release?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Yes, but their opinions are the very same opinion that you just said nobody on here has.

And yeah, everyone has opinions. So why are you all giving me and Kate a hard time for having a different opinion from yours?
To be frank, some of the things you guys and gals have said lack reason, mostly Kate’s commentary.

Sharon&Susan

If this were the Haunted Mansion that was on the chopping block, I guarantee fans of that ride would be just as “dramatic” about it
I'd hope if that day ever comes that HM fans wouldn't consider someone a traitor or whatever for creating a passing of the torch type art. Because god forbid someone is able to be able to love what is currently there while still being excited for what'll come next.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Last year at this time we were in the middle of a race movement. Do you remember how many things went under scrutiny for their racial content? Disney even put warning labels over Dumbo, Peter Pan, ect.. for one or two things that got them dinged. Song Of the South has been a blackmark to Disney for years, regardless of the ride. Did you really think they'd let Classic Splash last much longer after that? The ride based on a film they not only refuse to but can't release?

Which is really, really interesting IMO. Disney did such a great job scrubbing that movie from the face of the earth, that I bet you a mass majority of Disneyland visitors don't know or don't care that the characters were in that film. They didn't care in 89,90,91,92..etc.

Kate F

To be frank, some of the things you guys and gals have said lack reason, mostly Kate’s commentary.
Only thing I’ve said that might be considered unreasonable is assuming people who make art of PatF + Br’ers don’t care about the current ride or it’s characters. I mentally linked it with the fact that the Br’ers might get expelled from the parks altogether and that it’s unlikely fans will get anything to make up for it. And I feel like a lot of them don’t know what they’ve got till it’s gone. Disney is the one who pitted these two properties against each other to begin with, in a perfect world we could have both Splash and a different PatF ride.

The thing is, when I personally see art like that, I know that they care more about what’s coming in then what’s being lost and that is upsetting to me. I don’t care if you think it’s irrational.

Brer Panther

Okay, maybe it would have happened anyway, but A) the stuff under scrutiny actually had racial content in them, Splash Mountain doesn't have anything referencing racism in it at all (characters from Song of the South being in it doesn't count), and B) it still happened because of Chambers' posting his idea. And didn't the warning labels happen after the retheme was announced?
Who is Frederick Chambers anyway?
A Disneyland cast member. He posted his idea for a Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain on Twitter, then people started hyping his idea up, demanding that Disney do it, and creating petitions to get the attraction rethemed. There was a lot of discussion about it online, and then Disney caved in. A common theory is that Disney orchestrated all of this to get people to turn on Splash Mountain so they wouldn't get flack for retheming such a popular attraction, but that's just speculation so far. Either way, Chambers is getting a lot of press over his idea and Disney's actually using it.
Some of the things those of you who support the retheme have said lack reason, too.
Scuse me— In May of 2018, in this forum, I predicted Splash would be rethemed to get rid of SotS references, based on what I saw happening to PotC.
Your comment didn't spark petitions, articles, and tons of people online demanding that the attraction be rethemed. That's the difference.

Rich T

Only thing I’ve said that might be considered unreasonable is assuming people who make art of PatF + Br’ers don’t care about the current ride or it’s characters. I mentally linked it with the fact that the Br’ers might get expelled from the parks altogether and that it’s unlikely fans will get anything to make up for it. And I feel like a lot of them don’t know what they’ve got till it’s gone. Disney is the one who pitted these two properties against each other to begin with, in a perfect world we could have both Splash and a different PatF ride.

The thing is, when I personally see art like that, I know that they care more about what’s coming in then what’s being lost and that is upsetting to me. I don’t care if you think it’s irrational.
You’re making judgements about artists you don’t know, and judging them guilty without evidence.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

I don’t care if you don’t care. I don’t think anyone should care about other people’s opinions of them, especially on a forum with strangers.

It’s very clear that you’re emotionally attached to Splash, and I get it. However, you’re so attached that your affection is clouding sound judgement. You’ve said other irrational things as well, just recently semi accusing Rich of never being a fan of Splash simply because they understand why the ride is going away. Wut?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom