Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
While that’s fair enough (as was the earlier comment about Uncle Remus), that doesn’t invalidate the Brer Rabbit tales origins and intent.

They don’t belong to Joel. They don’t belong to Disney. Why is society letting White people take ownership and credit for things that don’t belong to them?
Invalidate which tales? The original African tales or Harris’ appropriated versions?

Brer Oswald

Invalidate which tales? The original African tales or Harris’ appropriated versions?
The original African ones. Though the appropriated ones share many elements with the originals, hence the “appropriation”.

The erasure is not a fix to the appropriation. It shows that the appropriation was effective and won.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The original African ones. Though the appropriated ones share many elements with the originals, hence the “appropriation”.

The erasure is not a fix to the appropriation. It shows that the appropriation was effective and won.
The appropriation was effective and won because Harris was a white man. He got the stories from black people, as you already know. Not to mention his creation of Uncle Remus, a self-hating black man.

I don’t want the stories to disappear, but I would advocate a return of the original African tales and not Harris’ versions, Uncle Remus included.

Brer Oswald

The appropriation was effective and won because Harris was a white man. He got the stories from black people, as you already know. Not to mention his creation of Uncle Remus, a self-hating black man.

I don’t want the stories to disappear, but I would advocate a return of the original African tales and not Harris’ versions, Uncle Remus included.
I agree. But if the original stories aren’t advocated for, it’s never going to happen. The public perception of the Brer Rabbit stories is negative large in part to Disney’s mishandling. I get that people want a ride starring a black human character, but there’s no reason they shouldn’t also be called to give back to the legacy, of real black people, that they helped destroy.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I also want to reiterate that even though I dislike Song of the South and don’t care for Harris’ stories, I have the opinion that Disney should release SotS to the American public and not change Splash. It solves absolutely nothing.
I think hiding from the film has done more harm than good. But I wouldn’t want to see a future where they did absolutely nothing but rerelease the film.

Go back to the drawing board. Retell the stories in a way that reflects the original meaning and significance of the stories. For the love of all that’s good, actually hire black creatives that have a passion for it. Give Brer Rabbit a black voice actor. And if you want to keep the ride, make the necessary adjustments (like the voice change).

CaptinEO

I also want to reiterate that even though I dislike Song of the South and don’t care for Harris’ stories, I have the opinion that Disney should release SotS to the American public and not change Splash. It solves absolutely nothing.
I find it odd when people try to "censor" something that was already created.

Song of the South is already out there and has been on VHS/Laserdisc since the 80s and was always on the internet.

I read about how streaming shows censor out certain scenes. Even though these are old sitcoms that have been on DVD for 10+ years unedited.

There's no way to censor history. If it's out there it's out there. Disney trying to pretend it doesn't exist is what made it more infamous in the first place.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think hiding from the film has done more harm than good. But I wouldn’t want to see a future where they did absolutely nothing but rerelease the film.

Go back to the drawing board. Retell the stories in a way that reflects the original meaning and significance of the stories. For the love of all that’s good, actually hire black creatives that have a passion for it. Give Brer Rabbit a black voice actor. And if you want to keep the ride, make the necessary adjustments (like the voice change).
It absolutely has done more harm.

I don’t believe Disney is interested in getting the stories correct. They’re not going to take the time to travel to West African countries or hire Africans who specialize in and know the stories. They want their association with this to go away. I could be wrong, but seeing as they’re getting rid of everything associated with SotS, including music from the film that’s in the parks, I think I’m more right than wrong. We’ll see though.

GoneForGood

It absolutely has done more harm.

I don’t believe Disney is interested in getting the stories correct. They’re not going to take the time to travel to West African countries or hire Africans who specialize in and know the stories. They want their association with this to go away. I could be wrong, but seeing as they’re getting rid of everything associated with SotS, including music from the film that’s in the parks, I think I’m more right than wrong. We’ll see though.
I have to agree with this. It is the easiest option for them, and in the end they not only pass off as "doing the right thing", but they also make a profit off Tiana and co.

It is very upsetting IMO, and it's hard to watch things go down the way they are. They had and have the power to fix it but.. Disney does what Disney wants. I'll never actually understand the mindset behind it--and how this was the best possible way to handle it.

I mean, I'm somewhat over it.. I am just not happy that the company won't actually be held accountable for it.

Brer Panther

• “One More Time” merch is rumored to be released prior to retheme.
If Disney really does make "One More Time" merchandise for the ride, that'll just prove what a hollow and hypocritical gesture the retheme is. The ride is apparently so problematic that it must be rethemed - but we'll still sell merchandise for it.
I feel like if this redo isn’t officially started before Iger leaves at the end of the year, it’s not happening.
Here's hoping.

By the way, if the Disneyland version is rethemed but the Magic Kingdom version isn't? I still think Disney should save some of the America Sings animatronics and ship 'em to be installed in the Magic Kingdom version. Spare them from getting trashed like the Universe of Energy and Great Movie Ride animatronics.

BasiltheBatLord

It seems impossible to me that they will backtrack on this now that it's been announced already. Maybe it will be long delayed because of Corona, but I think that announcement was the definitive final nail in Splash's coffin, at least in America. If they don't do it now they're inviting bad press/attention on themselves which, in their minds at least, getting rid of Splash was supposed to solve for them in the first place.

Personally I would be okay if they ended up compromising by getting rid of Splash at DL but keeping it in WDW (I think this has been rumored actually)

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It seems like the future for WDW’s is the most uncertain of the batch. DL’s and Tokyo’s futures seem to be set in stone at opposite ends of the spectrum.
WDW seems to alternate whether its happening or not. More often it seems its off due to Tokyo but who knows?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom