Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

George Lucas on a Bench

The FOX buyout, which I'm still bitter about, disrupted those foreign FOX parks they were building or developing, one of which was supposed to include a Titanic attraction. Thanks, Disney. Now I can never travel to a FOX theme park in a country where I don't speak their language or understand their culture just to go on a Titanic replica.

lazyboy97o

I agree with the sentiment but in a theme park we have themed lands so I’m not not sure it applies here. I mean sure I’d rather have an amazing ride based on IP than just a good original one but if they put the best quality Sci Fi Space ride in Place of Splash Mountain that obviously would be good.

Is an IP in and of itself a theme? I’m really asking. You could have a PatF ride that takes place in an old cemetery or one that completely takes place on the streets of New Orleans. I think the themes of Splash Mountain and the PatF ride they are planning are very similar based of the fact they are going to be working within the existing infrastructure and the movie contains all of the Bayou and critter elements. But that begs the question, am I confusing theme with setting? Can you always separate the two?

I feel like @lazyboy97o would have a good answer
I agree that what makes a theme park are the lands. This is why the whole notion of the studio park doesn’t really work beyond Universal Studios Hollywood because you just have a jumbled assortment of attractions.

I do think you are confusing setting and theme a bit, which happens far too often. This is why Splash Mountain could be changed to be more Western for the Magic Kingdom, because while Song of the South is set in Georgia and the original written tales come from Georgia as well, the Br’er Rabbit stories themselves are not specific to Georgia.

absurd contradictions (castle at the end of a Main Street?
itts not a contradiction. It’s a play on typology.

Disney should build a Titanic ride. It made more than all their crappy cartoons.
Technically they already did an attraction. Fox Studios Backlot in Australia featured the Thea Award winning Titanic: The Experience. Guests would be sorted into First Class and Third Class passengers for differing experiences with the Third Class passengers ultimately meeting their demise.

No Name

I love rides that end in death.
Oh, yeah... well, in that case, Iger is a worse CEO than Eisner. Then again, we all knew that already, didn't we?

Say, wasn't Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror originally going to happen at Disneyland AND Disney World? What made them change their minds on that one?

The park didn’t have the capacity to lose by closing ToT, and the backlash would’ve been worse than it was in CA.
Its funny on paper you’d think WDW has the short end of the stick with this but look how they ve fared recently. GOTG: takes over TOT here but they keep theirs AND get a new GOTG coaster (2 with TRON ) while the last coaster we got at DLR was in 2001, 1979 if we re talking Disneyland. Then you have GE which didn’t go into their Castle Park. And now well now I wouldn’t be surprised if PatF happens here but not there.

Well MMRR is an addition at DL. Also the GotG coaster building is ugly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It sounded familiar to me too.

Apparently WDI usually pitches and designs a multi-park project based on how it can fit into Disneyland Resort, knowing that it will be easy logistically and politically to clone it and plop it down on some bit of swampy land in Orlando with minimal fuss.

Well, it looks like theming for the land is pretty much set for DL.

For WDW, they'll either make the switch and ignore everything else, or, make a big change to the whole land. After all, within eye shot of Splash in MK, there is a facade that says "CHINESE LAUNDRY." Something that would seem ordinary to most folks today, but, has a sordid history. IOW, there's a lot in MK that could, or maybe *should*, change. OR... just make the switch and ignore any (more) anachronisms or problematic issues.

TP2000

I'd argue that shortage of WDI talent is already present, regardless of COVID, project cancellations or the political climate present at WDI right now.

Ha! That's a valid point for anyone who has ever walked through Pixar Pier.

Perhaps the more accurate phrasing would be... "There is not going to be a shortage of personnel to assign to the Splash Mountain remake."

TP2000

For WDW, they'll either make the switch and ignore everything else, or, make a big change to the whole land. After all, within eye shot of Splash in MK, there is a facade that says "CHINESE LAUNDRY." Something that would seem ordinary to most folks today, but, has a sordid history. IOW, there's a lot in MK that could, or maybe *should*, change. OR... just make the switch and ignore any (more) anachronisms or problematic issues.

Oh, you're right. Wow! I had not heard of this before, or ever noticed it on any previous WDW trips.

To steal a line from the old Calgon commercials it's apparently an ancient Chinese secret.

yIsiw8ATcZmrjpRy5Jbkim7VGXKHAQMC4X0AaN0S3gsvCeu-OfAD2icLeeJwvIGxfP-Fd-039b3tuTFUM3zi97XlKE-jXsAw8zwFHfoNyzFXLdYKp8-w4bALcIOeer0

PiratesMansion

Its funny on paper you’d think WDW has the short end of the stick with this but look how they ve fared recently. GOTG: takes over TOT here but they keep theirs AND get a new GOTG coaster (2 with TRON ) while the last coaster we got at DLR was in 2001, 1979 if we re talking Disneyland. Then you have GE which didn’t go into their Castle Park. And now well now I wouldn’t be surprised if PatF happens here but not there.
They did lose The Great Movie Ride, which I didn't care for but was nonetheless an opening day attraction and an icon of the park. Universe of Energy, which closed the same day, had an iconic dinosaur sequence if nothing else, and both GMR and UOE, even if you hated them or were indifferent as I was, represented a level of ambition in scale and capacity that really never made it into any of the other parks. Most of what made Epcot special has been removed over a longer period of time well beyond this decade, and is being replaced by character schlock that is nonetheless being celebrated by far too many people on the WDW side of the forum simply because something new is finally coming; most recently, they lost Illuminations, a dated but iconic show, to be replaced by a show in which people around the world react to Disney music or some such nonsense. Before GE Hollywood Studios was a complete joke of a park that lost its purpose long before Disney deigned to do anything about it. WDW has fared better recent term, but long term they have lost more iconic material than DLR has, IMO.

Yeah this movie was partially responsible for shutting down hand-drawn animation at Disney. I’m not sure how long the instagrammable moments will last once the new ride smell wears off

As others have said, the timing of the original release affected its box office take and in the decade prior Disney had released nothing but flops. Subsequently many have discovered it and loved it. I feel like it's on track to be viewed the same way by younger generations the way my generation views Mulan; it underperformed at the box office but EVERYONE my age knows and loves it.
Not sure why they go with that gaudy color on the pavement at WDW.
Clearly someone thought it was a good idea because it carried over to Tokyo Disneyland as well, where it still exists in all of the original areas of that park too. Cost savings? Misguided late 60s/70s aesthetics?

Last edited:

mickEblu

I agree that what makes a theme park are the lands. This is why the whole notion of the studio park doesn’t really work beyond Universal Studios Hollywood because you just have a jumbled assortment of attractions.

I do think you are confusing setting and theme a bit, which happens far too often. This is why Splash Mountain could be changed to be more Western for the Magic Kingdom, because while Song of the South is set in Georgia and the original written tales come from Georgia as well, the Br’er Rabbit stories themselves are not specific to Georgia.

itts not a contradiction. It’s a play on typology.

Technically they already did an attraction. Fox Studios Backlot in Australia featured the Thea Award winning Titanic: The Experience. Guests would be sorted into First Class and Third Class passengers for differing experiences with the Third Class passengers ultimately meeting their demise.

So what would you say the theme of the Princess and the Frog attraction will be?

mickEblu

I love rides that end in death.

The park didn’t have the capacity to lose by closing ToT, and the backlash would’ve been worse than it was in CA.

Well MMRR is an addition at DL. Also the GotG coaster building is ugly.

Yea but MMRR isn’t open yet. It might be ugly but so is GOTG:MB

George Lucas on a Bench

Unpopular opinion but I actually like the look of Mission Breakout much better than the former ToT.

*ducks and runs*

I like it too, but I concede that it looks bad in DCA. The architecture and larger icons, I guess, of DCA with all its warts and alterations still are reflective of the overarching theme of the park, which is California. Even the Cars area, which apparently isn't even set in California evokes the feel of the desert.

GOTG, on the other hand, is a big alien space tower. They don't have those in California last I checked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom