Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

The tension they built coming out of the blacklit Laughin' Place segment into Burrow's Lament, the vultures, Brer Rabbit tied up... that's the stuff of children's nightmares. Disney doesn't put stuff like that in rides anymore.

I expect a far different approach, especially since the stakes of the new ride are simply 'We're setting up for a big party! Hooray! Mardi Gras!"

The “let’s plan a Mardi Gras” storyline kills me. It sounds exactly like I’m imagining. Terrible. You would think that they would just put Dr. Facilier and his vodoo / ghouls where the blacklit Laughin Place scenes were. They ll find a way to mess that up and put a cut out of him somewhere hiding instead.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

If they're smart, they won't just turn it all into Tiana: the happy ride. And I don't believe that simply because it's a princess ride that this will be inevitable. Not only is that not true to the film, which does have a conflict (yeah, the ride apparently takes place after the film, which is dumb, but so many sequels recycle the first story's plot anyway, so they can have their cake and eat it too), but I don't envision them giving up what was at opening the largest flume drop in the world. If people are going to be anxious anyway, as the drop will still exist, they might as well play into it. If it's not against established movie canon and it's not an over the top horrorshow like the original Snow White rides, I really think most people will be fine. The youngest and most likely to be scared will be kept off the ride by the height requirement anyway.

The top level of the show building, if they really want to minimize new content, can be Naveen and Tiana going back to the woods and reminiscing about their movie experiences, keeping most of what's there in the process, while talking about their party plans occasionally.

Then, on the lower level, where Brer Rabbit got caught originally, Tiana and Naveen are changed back into frogs, Facilier having finally caught up with them after all the "yay party!" setup. Perhaps he also does something that makes it difficult for them to get out of this situation. Cue "Friends on the Other Side" as they approach and go up the lift, with the voodoo spirits chasing after both the characters and us, the riders! At some point, after the drop and prior to the finale scene, they're changed back into Humans, having survived and somehow dealt with Facilier. Then, for the finale, there's the grand celebration on the showboat and the musical show, etc.

To me, that makes sense; they can't go full Little-Mermaid-no-measurable-conflict: the ride! if they keep the most important parts of the ride track, and it would be to their detriment to try and do so.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Could you link us to where that was posted?

I mean...they can't be that stupid, right? They have to know that Splash is one of their most famous, iconic rides and that they need to do this right. Otherwise they will be completely thrashed by everyone, even people who believe this change is the right thing to do.

If they can't give it a proper budget they need to wait until they have one. They already said this wasn't going to be immediate so there's no reason not to wait a bit. Rushing it through on a miniscule budget is a lose-lose situation for everyone. Every single person who cares about the parks is going to have their eyes squarely on what they're doing because they called attention to it. This isn't a Paradise Pier situation where most people didn't really care much about what was there before.

They cannot deliver a cheap dud on this one. It would be catastrophic.

I don't trust them one bit. SW:GE is a dud, Pixar Pier was an outright joke, and warehouse fortress powerplant only had money put into the talking racoon. The on ride TV screens and blatant disregard for thematic integrity make that much clear.. oh and the string lights in the boiler room they somehow were able to get away with.

Im almost willing to put money down that this reskin will be bad, people will still love it, and the end result will be more price increases. Buckle up folks were in for a rough decade.

Sharon&Susan

SuddenStorm

I've always thought of Splash as the perfect IP attraction that acts like it doesn't have IP. It really did a phenomenal job of separating itself from the source material- so much so that I view it as its own entity separate from Song of the South. Not to mention the many America Sings figures, and each song being a unique recording from what was in the film (which is far more than Ariel's Undersea Adventure can say).

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout wouldn't make any sense to someone who hadn't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, nor would Incredicoaster.

Kate F

I've always thought of Splash as the perfect IP attraction that acts like it doesn't have IP. It really did a phenomenal job of separating itself from the source material- so much so that I view it as its own entity separate from Song of the South. Not to mention the many America Sings figures, and each song being a unique recording from what was in the film (which is far more than Ariel's Undersea Adventure can say).

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout wouldn't make any sense to someone who hadn't seen Song of the South, nor would Incredicoaster.
Ok the last part doesn’t really make sense to me, but the first part is spot on.

celluloid

Could you link us to where that was posted?

I don't trust them one bit. SW:GE is a dud, Pixar Pier was an outright joke, and warehouse fortress powerplant only had money put into the talking racoon. The on ride TV screens and blatant disregard for thematic integrity make that much clear.. oh and the string lights in the boiler room they somehow were able to get away with.

Im almost willing to put money down that this reskin will be bad, people will still love it, and the end result will be more price increases. Buckle up folks were in for a rough decade.

And just think, those examples you mentioned where the audience reception was luke warm to standard for the most part, was when the money was good and cap spending was large. This change is coming in possibly the bigest recession to something where the infastructure of a thrill is already there adn they can go cheap. I don't want to be cynical; the track record of recent years speaks for itself.

George Lucas on a Bench

If they have to place television screens in the queue to set up the new story, it is an instant Imagineering fail!

I'm not sure if you applied this exclusively to Tiana's Slashed Bargain Mountain because of the land (Splash Mt does have screens showing your photo) but now that I think about it, TV intros are a very Universal thing and absent from all the classic Disney attractions...I think Space Mt had a brief video. I guess they did it for Star Tours with the safety video, however the travelogues in the line may also count, as it's a giant TV and sets up what Star Tours is.

Tower of Terror used a TV intro cleverly.

Almost all the classic Disney rides were set up without TV intros until the 90s, when Universal had perfected the art of waiting line TVs showing news reports of King Kong, Doc Brown and of course, Steven Spielberg welcoming us to E.T.

SuddenStorm

A few days ago I emailed Disneyland about the changes. I'm sure their system lets them see how many visits my email is tied to and helps them pick which script to use when responding.

This was my email-

Hi,

The news that Splash Mountain is being re-themed is absolutely devastating. That ride is the main reason I visit the Resort, and I have little interest in the re-theme. The music, visuals, and environment are the best Disney's done.

I hope WDI and the management at the Resort are able to reconsider this re-theme like they did the Main Street Cinema store. I don't think the park will be worth the extraordinarily high ticket cost without Splash Mountain and will likely be drastically cutting down on how often I visit when the ride closes.

This was their reply-

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland Resort as a frequent and dedicated Guest to our parks.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about the recently announced changes to our Splash Mountain attraction. We would like to assure you that our goals for providing a happy and unique experience in our theme parks have remained constant throughout the years. One of the ways in which we attempt to maintain this goal is to continually evaluate the various aspects of our parks and make changes at times.

The theme for Splash Mountain has been a conversation among Imagineers for a while, and last summer, our Disney Imagineers landed on a concept that felt right – a new story inspired by The Princess and the Frog. While efforts were clearly under way, we decided the time to act was now. Particularly important today, the new concept is inclusive – one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.

Walt Disney embraced and encouraged change at the park and spoke about the need to “keep moving forward” down new paths, always with an eye toward enhancing and improving the guest experience. Keeping our stories relevant and providing more reasons to return is done in this same spirit – a philosophy embraced by Imagineers through the years, including Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter.

As diverse as the millions of visitors are who come to the Disneyland Resort each year, so are the reactions and opinions of our Guests, and it is always our goal to provide a show that appeals to all who visit. We hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland Resort.

Kate F

I sent my email to about sixteen people and haven’t gotten a response yet, not even a generic response.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom