Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

PiratesMansion

Why is The Haunted Mansion in a land celebrating America's colonial history?

Stories of Haunted Houses are universal in time and place, and nothing in the ride was tied specifically to its NOS location.

They knew they weren't going to build NOS, and they determined Liberty Square was the best fit (possibly because there were no better options; additionally, Liberty Square had similar shops and served a similar function in the park before WDW started dumbing down everything, which helped justify Mansion's presence as well). So they could change the facade and presto! The ride fits.

Better than Tokyo where it's in Fantasyland.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Dang
I heard a possible proposed budget. I'm very likely not supposed to share it (a handful of other people here including @Animaniac93-98 and @the.dreamfinder etc probably know this by now as well). And it could always change. Hopefully so, though I more hope this project is thrown in the trash outright. But if it remains relatively accurate by final approval (or somehow manages to get even worse), then be very afraid because its far worse than even I was expecting.

PiratesMansion

I mean...they can't be that stupid, right? They have to know that Splash is one of their most famous, iconic rides and that they need to do this right. Otherwise they will be completely thrashed by everyone, even people who believe this change is the right thing to do.

If they can't give it a proper budget they need to wait until they have one. They already said this wasn't going to be immediate so there's no reason not to wait a bit. Rushing it through on a miniscule budget is a lose-lose situation for everyone. Every single person who cares about the parks is going to have their eyes squarely on what they're doing because they called attention to it. This isn't a Paradise Pier situation where most people didn't really care much about what was there before.

They cannot deliver a cheap dud on this one. It would be catastrophic.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I mean...they can't be that stupid, right? They have to know that Splash is one of their most famous, iconic rides and that they need to do this right. Otherwise they will be completely thrashed by everyone, even people who believe this change is the right thing to do.

If they can't give it a proper budget they need to wait until they have one. They already said this wasn't going to be immediate so there's no reason not to wait a bit. Rushing it through on a miniscule budget is a lose-lose situation for everyone. Every single person who cares about the parks is going to have their eyes squarely on what they're doing because they called attention to it. This isn't a Paradise Pier situation where most people didn't really care much about what was there before.

They cannot deliver a cheap dud on this one. It would be catastrophic.

I second that. Everything I’ve said about cautious optimism is thrown out the window if this turns into a cheap hack job.

I seriously hope they delay this until they have a proper budget. If they have to divert budget from Avengers or other projects so be it. But if they can’t get a decent budget for this then jumping the shark on this project and to appease the Twitter mob and gutting a perfectly great ride is ridiculous and foolish and will backfire immensely.

I will hold judgement until I see the final product but if not a lateral move at a minimum this could turn me away from the parks forever.

smooch

Well, this redo is going to be scrutinized by the entire world, including those who’ve never set foot in a Disney park. Disney knows they have to do this right.

There was major outrage when ToT was announced to be rethemed and it was probably the most important land in DCA that saved the park from outright failing, they knew people were angry and that the ride was important and needed to live up to the incredible quality of the original, but we still got Mission Breakout. The exterior is disgusting, the use of screens surrounded by a frame of props is incredibly disappointing and unconvincing, and it makes absolutely no sense in the area of the park it is in, even with Avengers Campus being put up nearby. And the problem is that Disney talks about how it has received "resounding praise" from their guests because it's "fun and quirky and eclectic" when it is a major downgrade in practically every way. They think they have been successful in their rethemes, I don't have a lot of hope for this retheme, as much as I want it to be good. I am worried that they're going to have the problem they had with the Na'vi River Journey at Pandora and use barely any animatronics and just use screens in a lot of areas. I'm sure they will be able to reuse the Splash animatronics again (those things never get to retire) but I think it would be jarring if they used the original animatronics reskinned and then developed a newer, more convincing / realistic animatronic for Tiana and the other characters like for the new Beauty and the Beast ride overseas. I might just be a cynic, but it doesn't seem like Disney has done a good job with their additions / changes to the parks in recent years and as much as I hope they figure their stuff out and do a good job I have little hope in it. But who knows, maybe they really do understand this is a pivotal moment in the parks and people will see if they can do a good job to respect and honor the quality of the original or if they will mess it up and create a worse experience and then pat themselves on the back that the crowds "love the ride more than the original" even if it is completely false.

Rich T

There was major outrage when ToT was announced to be rethemed and it was probably the most important land in DCA that saved the park from outright failing, they knew people were angry and that the ride was important and needed to live up to the incredible quality of the original, but we still got Mission Breakout. The exterior is disgusting, the use of screens surrounded by a frame of props is incredibly disappointing and unconvincing, and it makes absolutely no sense in the area of the park it is in, even with Avengers Campus being put up nearby. And the problem is that Disney talks about how it has received "resounding praise" from their guests because it's "fun and quirky and eclectic" when it is a major downgrade in practically every way. They think they have been successful in their rethemes, I don't have a lot of hope for this retheme, as much as I want it to be good. I am worried that they're going to have the problem they had with the Na'vi River Journey at Pandora and use barely any animatronics and just use screens in a lot of areas. I'm sure they will be able to reuse the Splash animatronics again (those things never get to retire) but I think it would be jarring if they used the original animatronics reskinned and then developed a newer, more convincing / realistic animatronic for Tiana and the other characters like for the new Beauty and the Beast ride overseas. I might just be a cynic, but it doesn't seem like Disney has done a good job with their additions / changes to the parks in recent years and as much as I hope they figure their stuff out and do a good job I have little hope in it. But who knows, maybe they really do understand this is a pivotal moment in the parks and people will see if they can do a good job to respect and honor the quality of the original or if they will mess it up and create a worse experience and then pat themselves on the back that the crowds "love the ride more than the original" even if it is completely false.
Re: Mission Breakout—From my interactions with family, friends & co-workers (all casual DL fans), Mission Breakout really is a hit. And though I miss ToT and have never even seen GotG, I think MB is a more satisfying thrill ride. The drop sequence is longer, punchier and scarier and that’s what guests remember most as they exit into the gift shop.

And that’s why people will love Frog Mountain: The drops are what most people go for, and it will still be pretty and musical.

JD2000

Tiana’s Mardi Gras Splash

emphasizes the black princess, includes the ride’s plot, and keeps splash in the name for eisner and familiarity. almost corporate sounding.

*walt disney company is free to use this without any compensation.

:cool:

JD2000

Tiana’s Mardi Gras Splash

emphasizes the black princess, includes the ride’s plot, and keeps splash in the name for eisner and familiarity. almost corporate sounding.

*walt disney company is free to use this without any compensation.

:cool:
TMGS.jpg

Sharon&Susan

More and more I'm thinking there won't be anything close to a major conflict, other than some minor thing like "Uh Oh Louie lost his trumpet!". I expect this ride to be all sunshine and rainbows just like Frozen Ever After, so no Friends on the Ever Side or any dark vodoo elements.

Supreme Leader

More and more I'm thinking there won't be anything close to a major conflict, other than some minor thing like "Uh Oh Louie lost his trumpet!". I expect this ride to be all sunshine and rainbows just like Frozen Ever After, so no Friends on the Ever Side or any dark vodoo elements.
But a whole Friends on the Other Side scene in the dark/blacklight area (the former Laughing Place) would be SO COOL. You fall down the rabbit hole into the Other Side and find the light at the end of the tunnel, literally, and escape your mortal doom. Perfect finale.

Sharon&Susan

But a whole Friends on the Other Side scene in the dark/blacklight area (the former Laughing Place) would be SO COOL. You fall down the rabbit hole into the Other Side and find the light at the end of the tunnel, literally, and escape your mortal doom. Perfect finale.
Not saying that it wouldn't be cool (it totally would!), but was anyone's dream Incredibles ride concept the family chasing babies on sticks?

mickEblu

Not saying that it wouldn't be cool (it totally would!), but was anyone's dream Incredibles ride concept the family chasing babies on sticks?

They seem to have forgotten A big reason people love Disneyland is because of the mysterious, weird, scary etc... Not just straight forward book report Princess rides with no drama. With that said I do believe they will be using Dr. Facilier and his ghouls(?)

SuddenStorm

They seem to have forgotten A big reason people love Disneyland is because of the mysterious, weird, scary etc... Not just straight forward book report Princess rides with no drama. With that said I do believe they will be using Dr. Facilier and his ghouls(?)

The tension they built coming out of the blacklit Laughin' Place segment into Burrow's Lament, the vultures, Brer Rabbit tied up... that's the stuff of children's nightmares. Disney doesn't put stuff like that in rides anymore.

I expect a far different approach, especially since the stakes of the new ride are simply 'We're setting up for a big party! Hooray! Mardi Gras!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom