Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Animaniac93-98

That and let's be honest Walt Disney World is the park they believe more people will care about. Changing the Magic Kingdom one will get a lot more press then if they changed Disneyland's ride

Seems like Disney realized they have no new rides in the pipeline for WDW beyond TRON and GotG and they figure they can sell this as a "new" ride, even if it isn't (like Frozen Ever After).

BuzzedPotatoHead89

While that's true, DLR really isn't any better in that regard. Once MMRR opens next year they're in the same boat.
I would agree though arguably they could turn attention back to DCA post-TT. Arguably both an Avengers attraction and a CoCo expansion to Pixar Pier would be much more needed than any additional changes to DL proper.

Assuming MK goes first (which I highly doubt, frankly) Splash could limp along even in its current state until they decide on a cohesive plan for what to do with the rest of CC/Pooh for several years.

AJFireman

That and let's be honest Walt Disney World is the park they believe more people will care about. Changing the Magic Kingdom one will get a lot more press then if they changed Disneyland's ride
But Disneyland in California would get a lot more negative press if they keep putting it off since its been announced in June 2020. Announcing new project after project without movement on Splash Mountain will bring out certain media outlets, theme park news sites and fans. Especially if Florida gets it first people will claim Disneyland California land of inclusion should be first.

TP2000

Can we just be reminded that this Tiana Mountain thing was pulled literally out of Burbank's backside in a panic?

18 months after they announced it, they still aren't ready to even begin the retheme of this existing attraction. :rolleyes:

This Splash Mountain remake into Tiana Mountain is not a thoughtful and purposeful response to anything that happened socio-politically in 2020. It is merely a panicky corporate response to what they thought was important at the time. Now they're forced to admit they had no real plan for any of this. They're making it up as they go along.

Check back in 2024.

CaptinEO

Can we just be reminded that this Tiana Mountain thing was pulled literally out of Burbank's backside in a panic?

18 months after they announced it, they still aren't ready to even begin the retheme of this existing attraction. :rolleyes:

This Splash Mountain remake into Tiana Mountain is not a thoughtful and purposeful response to anything that happened socio-politically in 2020. It is merely a panicky corporate response to what they thought was important at the time. Now they're forced to admit they had no real plan for any of this. They're making it up as they go along.

Check back in 2024.
I think it won't even happen to be honest. Clearly they can continue to operate the existing ride which is a Disney classic for more than 3 decades and there's no issue.

Just like how it was before Disney pretended the ride was problematic.

How ignorant of them to announce a major ride overhaul, for 2 parks, during a global pandemic that closed their parks, all while they had no actual plans.

The parks ended up costing them 5 billion dollars in loses in 2020, no way are they going to redo 2 major rides that don't actually need a redo and still draw huge crowds.

I expect we hear nothing about this and it will disappear, just like the Magic Kingdom Theater or Mary Poppins in Epcot.

SuddenStorm

I'm just curious how they do this retheme without making the ride look super out of place. You can't just repaint it and mount pipes and led lighting to the outside like Tower of Terror. This entire structure was designed to be organic and unique to the story and setting. How do you take a building like this and retheme it without just knocking the thing down and starting from scratch?

1638903406596.png

Disneyland's west half relies on subtle lighting that feels natural, authentic, and believable. If this concept art is at all accurate, they're planning on really beefing up the night lighting on the facade, which would look really out of place on that half of the park.

1638903649520.png

mickEblu

I'm just curious how they do this retheme without making the ride look super out of place. You can't just repaint it and mount pipes and led lighting to the outside like Tower of Terror. This entire structure was designed to be organic and unique to the story and setting. How do you take a building like this and retheme it without just knocking the thing down and starting from scratch?

View attachment 605674

Disneyland's west half relies on subtle lighting that feels natural, authentic, and believable. If this concept art is at all accurate, they're planning on really beefing up the night lighting on the facade, which would look really out of place on that half of the park.

View attachment 605675

It could end up looking cartoony and out of place on that side of the park. Kind of like what they did with Snow Whites facade on a bigger scale but at least that’s in Fantasyland. With that said, I think there is a lot of artistic liberty in that concept art. Hopefully they keep it toned down and scrap the idea for the boat in the tree.

Mac Tonight

View attachment 605674

View attachment 605675
Keep your expectations tempered.

SuddenStorm

Keep your expectations tempered.

Haha! In this case I have no expectations, and expect the redo to be another in a long string of disappointing Disneyland changes. And probably the deal breaker for me that would make the park no longer worth the cost of admission except on very rare occasions.

Modern WDI does not have the talent needed to match the quality of Splash Mountain.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I think it won't even happen to be honest. Clearly they can continue to operate the existing ride which is a Disney classic for more than 3 decades and there's no issue.

Just like how it was before Disney pretended the ride was problematic.

How ignorant of them to announce a major ride overhaul, for 2 parks, during a global pandemic that closed their parks, all while they had no actual plans.

The parks ended up costing them 5 billion dollars in loses in 2020, no way are they going to redo 2 major rides that don't actually need a redo and still draw huge crowds.

I expect we hear nothing about this and it will disappear, just like the Magic Kingdom Theater or Mary Poppins in Epcot.
To me the fact it was skipped over completely at D23 and only got about 3 seconds at IAPPA further cements the theory this is either WAYYYY on the backburner or very close to being dead.

mickEblu

Really worries me that they re talking about basing the retheme on events after the movie. Losing Splash is a huge blow for me but getting on a PatF ride with with no recognizable songs and no Dr Facilier/ voodoo ghouls before and on the lift hill (to keep things from being too vanilla like Tokyo’s BATB ride) would be adding insult to injury.

Not having Dr Facilier and the songs from the original movie would be a huge mistake IMO. Those are the best things about PatF. They re replacing some one of the most famous Disney songs with brand new songs when they re basing the retheme around a movie with great songs? That’s a Head Scratcher.

Brer Panther

I still hate that concept art. Does Disney have any idea how stupid a blue Chickapin Hill is going to look, boat in the tree or no boat in the tree?
getting on a PatF ride with with no recognizable songs and no Dr Facilier/ voodoo ghouls before and on the lift hill (to keep things from being too vanilla like Tokyo’s BATB ride) would be adding insult to injury.

Not having Dr Facilier and the songs from the original movie would be a huge mistake IMO. Those are the best things about PatF. They re replacing some one of the most famous Disney songs with brand new songs when they re basing the retheme around a movie with great songs?
Has it been said that the ride will only have new songs? I'd be shocked if none of the songs from the movie were featured. Frozen Ever After takes place after the movie but has songs from the movie (then again, The Princess and the Frog's songs aren't quite as iconic as Frozen's). Has there EVER been an attraction based on a movie with new songs? Even Frozen Ever After doesn't have any new songs in it.

As for Facilier, didn't the leaked plot posted in this thread back in 2020 (I think) - the one with Louis trying to find his trumpet - say that the voodoo spirit guys would show up before and on the lift hill, with Dr. Facilier's shadow replacing Brer Fox's shadow? Honestly, I could see this going either way... either they'll include Facilier and the voodoo spirits (or just the voodoo spirits, who I guess just decide to mess with us for the heck of it) to replace the scene where Brer Fox catches Brer Rabbit because everyone's been suggesting it, or they won't have them in the ride out of fear that it'll be "too scary" and the ride will have no conflict whatsoever (Louis having difficulty finding his trumpet doesn't count) like with Frozen Ever After.

Wasn't the Giant Ursula scene cut from the Little Mermaid ride because the higher-ups thought it was too scary?

mickEblu

I still hate that concept art. Does Disney have any idea how stupid a blue Chickapin Hill is going to look, boat in the tree or no boat in the tree?

Has it been said that the ride will only have new songs? I'd be shocked if none of the songs from the movie were featured. Frozen Ever After takes place after the movie but has songs from the movie (then again, The Princess and the Frog's songs aren't quite as iconic as Frozen's). Has there EVER been an attraction based on a movie with new songs? Even Frozen Ever After doesn't have any new songs in it.

As for Facilier, didn't the leaked plot posted in this thread back in 2020 (I think) - the one with Louis trying to find his trumpet - say that the voodoo spirit guys would show up before and on the lift hill, with Dr. Facilier's shadow replacing Brer Fox's shadow? Honestly, I could see this going either way... either they'll include Facilier and the voodoo spirits (or just the voodoo spirits, who I guess just decide to mess with us for the heck of it) to replace the scene where Brer Fox catches Brer Rabbit because everyone's been suggesting it, or they won't have them in the ride out of fear that it'll be "too scary" and the ride will have no conflict whatsoever (Louis having difficulty finding his trumpet doesn't count) like with Frozen Ever After.

Wasn't the Giant Ursula scene cut from the Little Mermaid ride because the higher-ups thought it was too scary?

I’m not sure. I think it’s all rumors at this point. If I was in the room I’d tell them that “this isn’t the one to experiment on.” Not on the retheme of one of your most beloved attractions of all time. The book report complaint can be misconstrued. I think people want familiar characters, music and songs. They just don’t want to go from one scene of the movie to next. Especially in a passive way like Mermaid. The Fantasyland rides are book reports for the most part but don’t feel that way because of the execution and how involved we are in the action. Think entering the huge cage in Pinocchio or flying over Neverland in Pan. An attraction just needs a couple of those moments to avoid being labeled a book report ride.

mickEblu

I can hear them now. “Guests don’t want book report rides and want to be more involved.”

TIANA (standing where Brer Fox is now): Oh My! Y’all look beautiful today. Now hurry up, you re late for the Mardi Gras party! But don’t get too wet!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom