Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Mac Tonight

To be honest I'm suprised Epcot is getting a Walt Disney statue. It seems like the administration under both Iger and Chapek want to pretend ant thing pre-little Mermaid dosen't exist
Yeah, I just got back from there last week and the thought of a Walt statue in that version of the park just feels like a slap in the face.

Sailor310

I mean Jungle Cruise and Pirates fully reflect 2021 logic and are not Walt rides anymore IMO.

I can all but guarantee Tiki Room is "offensive" because characters have accents.

Modern Disney's remedy to that would be have a bird from Mexico and a bird from Africa and give them very plain/sterile voices instead of highlighting their culture.

To modern Disney "inclusion" is only two races. (I wonder if its because these are large demographics and therefore stand to earn them more money/appeal).
I don't EVEN want to go there, but if you take it all the way, Tiki Room steals and cartoonizes traditional Pacific Islander religion. "We've made the gods angry..."

Last edited:

Brer Panther

The Tiana show was announced in Dec 2020.
Yes, and the retheme was announced in June 2020. I'm not saying it's not possible that the show was in development in 2019, but it's also possible the show was developed as a result of the retheme. I mean, the Tangled show's development didn't cause them to announce a Tangled ride for the parks.
My big concern is how they tackle turning the "underground scenes" (Caverns/Burrows in DL and the Flooded Mine in WDW) into something found in PATF/New Orleans Swamps. What they do with that space will tell me everything I need to know.
I can't speak for the Laughin' Place, but for the "Burrow's Lament" sequence I'm expecting them to yank out the animatronics, then cover up the mushrooms with black tarps or something and project the tiki head things on them. Disney World's version doesn't even have a Burrow's Lament scene they can turn into a "Friends on the Other Side" sequence, so who knows what they're going to do there.
Isn't Splash all one big structure/complex? They COULD gut the entire thing, but I don't know if I could see them doing that much. I could be wrong but I don't think Disney has done anything this big in terms of rethemes, due to just how well themed the current ride is.
This is another sign that Disney really hasn't thought this plan through. I can't imagine the ride will be easy to retheme.

CaptinEO

I don't EVEN want to go there, but if you take it all the way, Tiki Room steals and cartoonizes traditional Pacific Islander religion. "We've made the gods angry..."
Wouldn't this be the case for anything in Disneyland? Mr. Lincoln, Fronteirland, New Orleans Square.

You can argue they are "stolen" and "cartoonized" as well, IMO the whole point is to be fun exagerrated pieces of entertainment.

True fact too, regardless of who works on the attractions the money all goes to the CEO and shareholders.

You can have a Pacific Islander heading a tiki room redo but it will all go back to the white man at the top.

Dear Prudence

Yes, and the retheme was announced in June 2020. I'm not saying it's not possible that the show was in development in 2019, but it's also possible the show was developed as a result of the retheme. I mean, the Tangled show's development didn't cause them to announce a Tangled ride for the parks.
There is a Tangled expansion coming to Tokyo Disneyland. That show is awesome. Would 1000000% co-sign off on attractions based on that show. The music is amazing.

doctornick

Heck, there were even rumors around decade ago that even BTMRR would have received a Zorro layover (had the movie been a financial success). Unfortunately for Tony Baxter and the 2nd Gen imagineers, TWDC of today as interested in IP layovers as they are park/land expansion.

Do you mean The Lone Ranger? The Mask of Zorro/Legend of Zorro were not made by Disney.

el_super

But Disney had the Zorro Tv show

They did... and the WDI team thought they were in the clear... but Zorro licensing is complicated.

So to be clear: even though it has a big Z on the door and above the archway, and a shady figure on horseback, that restaurant could potentially be owned by any vigilante de california... not necessarily the one played by Antonio Banderas.

Dear Prudence

They did... and the WDI team thought they were in the clear... but Zorro licensing is complicated.

So to be clear: even though it has a big Z on the door and above the archway, and a shady figure on horseback, that restaurant could potentially be owned by any vigilante de california... not necessarily the one played by Antonio Banderas.
Zorro first appeared in a novel in 1919 (so I am unsure about the copyright on that, but doesn't Disney still own the rights to their own incarnations of Zorro? I know the copyright/ trademarks are currently being disputed, especially since they're different in the US and México, but I'd assume Disney would have some flex over their own properties.

I am just grateful that The Lone Ranger Tanked and that BTMRR is not another IP vomit darling.

Brer Panther

I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out, but... remember Hurricane Ida? Those photos of New Orleans being flooded by it? With those in mind, it might not be a good idea to have a Splash Mountain retheme that has guests in logs sailing through a water-filled New Orleans. I could see somebody dubbing it in poor taste. Remember how they had to alter Superstar Limo's premise back in 1997 to avoid backlash?

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
MiceChat is claiming Orlando is now getting it first:
“It was announced last week that Splash Mountain would be going under refurbishment on January 10th and we speculated that this could be the start of the previously announced “Princess and the Frog” overlay since there was no end date and many major Disneyland projects start just after the holiday season. But this will just be a routine 6 week refurbishment. Though, we did learn that the retheme will be delayed a while longer at Disneyland and will actually start first at Walt Disney World.

mickEblu

“It was announced last week that Splash Mountain would be going under refurbishment on January 10th and we speculated that this could be the start of the previously announced “Princess and the Frog” overlay since there was no end date and many major Disneyland projects start just after the holiday season. But this will just be a routine 6 week refurbishment. Though, we did learn that the retheme will be delayed a while longer at Disneyland and will actually start first at Walt Disney World.

Well that’s good news for me but also perhaps a sign of things to come with Imagineering moving to Orlando. Wonder if this means Disneylands needs more work and they re still trying to finalize those plans. I hope that’s not it. At the very least I was hoping the the flume layout and single file logs stayed put.

CaptinEO

I think Orlando's would be easier to redo as they have a newer building/sets to work with.

Kirby86

I think Orlando's would be easier to redo as they have a newer building/sets to work with.
That and let's be honest Walt Disney World is the park they believe more people will care about. Changing the Magic Kingdom one will get a lot more press then if they changed Disneyland's ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom