Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Mac Tonight

Wow. Pretty desperate to avoid real numbers, are we?

So... if everyone is mindlessly double tapping, then all the posts to the Instagram should have the same about of likes, right?

Here's a pretty, colorful image from a month ago:

And here's the PatF announcement:

But, go ahead, just surmise they're just double-taps without first checking, and hope reality checks out.

Quick, tell me how many of those 26,584 comments are positive in support of this change!! Divide by the number of bot accounts. Carry the decimal. Show your work! Maths!

Mac Tonight

More noisy dismissal of something you don't want to see without any real analysis.
lol. What don't I want to see? That people "liked" a post??? How many of them are even paying customers or have been to the parks in the last decade? You don't know.

This is the Wikipedia of "hard data". I honestly hope Disney does not base any future decisions off of arbitrary "like" numbers.

George Lucas on a Bench

Where were you to come down on those using an online petition as proof that people don't want it to change?

While I don't think there's sufficient proof of anything either way, I've pretty much maintained for years now that the average guest typically seems to eat up whatever Disney does, be it Pixar Pier, the Oirish Chicken Lady in POTC, GOTG or HMH.

The one time I was convinced they clearly screwed up and had a disaster on their hands was Galaxy Edge, which despite all the Insta People posing with laser swords in front of the Millennial Falcon, was a huge monster from the time it opened at DLR.

Of course, I still feel that even though these various alterations like Hyperspace Mountain, Pixar Pier or GOTG are popular, it doesn't make them better than what was there before or quality additions.

That's the rub for me. I guess I'm more of a centrist when it comes to changes at DLR. I tend to oppose them because I expect them to turn out bad, but I'm open to change, or at least want to be. I just know the place is not in good hands.

mickEblu

Thought I’d share this PatF music Splash Mountain POV mashup. Watched it last night. I’ve only seen PatF once and remember liking it but didn’t remember any of the songs. This video reminds me that the songs in the movie are pretty good and I think would fit with Splash Mountain Pretty well. Of course they are nowhere near as iconic but probably the best IP replacement we could hope for. Just think, this could be a Zootopia retheme (I shudder).

I’m actually hoping they stick closer to the movie in a non linear way. Them saying the ride takes place after the movie makes me fearful of some Frozen Ever After experience with no drama or emotional arc. At least if they stick to the movie we know the songs are good and Dr Facilier will bring a darker element to the ride.

Last edited:

mickEblu

And my last post reminds me... it’s interesting to me that the voices for or not opposed to this change never really seem to be invested in the minute details of themed attractions at DL. People against the change will post detailed explanations of why they are against. People for are not usually explaining why PatF will be such a great Overlay except for @Rich T

Mac Tonight

And my last post reminds me... it’s interesting to me that the voices for or not opposed to this change never really seem to be invested in the minute details of themed attractions at DL. People against the change will post detailed explanations of why they are against. People for are not usually explaining why PatF will be such a great Overlay except for @Rich T
This is a good point. Lost in this discussion is a recognition of the greatness that PatF can bring. As against this change as I am, I’m not above admitting that PatF is the best property to take its place. I wish it were getting its own attraction though of course.

George Lucas on a Bench

I still find PATF a baffling choice for Splash Mt. In terms of theme, I guess it loosely fits. But the ride itself is an intimidating thrill ride with a scary waterfall and a 40 inch height requirement that excludes many children. It clearly appeals to little girls. They are the primary audience for Princess movies regardless of what adult Disney fans tell you--It's NOT a movie for you, it's for kids. As a fit for Splash Mt ride system, it's poor.

el_super

It's hard to express the pros and cons of something that exists versus something that doesn't. When the Princess and the Frog ride is complete, we will have a better frame of reference for comparison. At this point though, any comparison between Song of the South and Princess and the Frog as the source material is all just subjective preference.

el_super

I still find PATF a baffling choice for Splash Mt. In terms of theme, I guess it loosely fits. But the ride itself is an intimidating thrill ride with a scary waterfall and a 40 inch height requirement that excludes many children. It clearly appeals to little girls. They are the primary audience for Princess movies regardless of what adult Disney fans tell you--It's NOT a movie for you, it's for kids. As a fit for Splash Mt ride system, it's poor.

This just seems like an overall argument against having thrill rides in the park at all. Poor kids have to sit on a bench eating peanuts while watching mom and dad get to ride the flume drop.

mickEblu

It's hard to express the pros and cons of something that exists versus something that doesn't. When the Princess and the Frog ride is complete, we will have a better frame of reference for comparison. At this point though, any comparison between Song of the South and Princess and the Frog as the source material is all just subjective preference.

No imagination eh? So you re telling me that’s it soon to discuss this for theme park nerds who are on a Disney park forum all day every day (some of you who have been to parks around the world), read all the books etc. And have seen the crap overlays Disney has been dishing out?

BubbaisSleep

It won’t exclude any more children than it did before when it was Splash as 40 inch isn’t very tall at all. Hopefully they’ll have meet & greet characters to help out with the toddlers who have an interest in this ride though. Funny thing is the two scarier rides in NOS can be ridden by everyone and the one princess ride can’t. Lol

Princesses like adventure now anyways, have you not seen the latest trends in our princesses and a red-head pirate in particular. Also, if Splash was made today I can use the same argument for who the ride is made for & simplify it into a movie made for only white kids as the movie wasn’t made for everyone either (gender & race). Basing a ride off of SOTS was a choice too, so it goes both ways. I’m going to miss the hell out of Splash, don’t get me wrong. I’m not worried about the content though but instead that it could have been its own ride like Guardians instead of taking a classic .

Last edited:

mickEblu

It is odd but I think it’s more to do with the name of the IP. I don’t feel that Splash’s characters were necessarily geared towards teens and adults. Hopefully they stick to more of the bayou and critters theme. If the name of the movie was Louis & the Bayou I don’t think it would feel quite as odd. Just hearing Princess and 40 foot drop don’t mix.

Last edited:

el_super

No imagination eh? So you re telling me that’s it soon to discuss this for theme park nerds who are on a Disney park forum all day every day (some of you who have been to parks around the world), read all the books etc. And have seen the crap overlays Disney has been dishing out?

You're asking us to compare details between a ride that exists and one that doesn't. Even if I believed there was a way to have an objective argument over theme park art direction (there really isn't), how would we have one without just relying on subjective declarations of which property we like more?

I mean if you really want something here it is:

The animatronics will be newer and move better than Splash Mountain (and will of course work).
The projections will be better than the painted flat backgrounds.
The lighting will be improved.
The music will be better.

It will be better than Splash Mountain in every possible way.

mickEblu

You're asking us to compare details between a ride that exists and one that doesn't. Even if I believed there was a way to have an objective argument over theme park art direction (there really isn't), how would we have one without just relying on subjective declarations of which property we like more?

I mean if you really want something here it is:

The animatronics will be newer and move better than Splash Mountain (and will of course work).
The projections will be better than the painted flat backgrounds.
The lighting will be improved.
The music will be better.

It will be better than Splash Mountain in every possible way.

Well look at that you did it. See? It was possible.

My point is that the people for or not opposed to this change are less concerned with these kind of details. Take that for what you will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom