Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

el_super

Also just from fun... from 1997:

ANAHEIM —
Looks like the last “yo ho” goes to the Walt Disney Co.'s swashbuckling marketing machine.
After getting keelhauled for weeks for its decision to clean up some of the naughtier fare in its Pirates of the Caribbean attraction at Disneyland, the company got hordes of media and visitors to turn out Friday to view what amounted to little more than a new wrinkle in a venerable attraction.
Sure, pirates now chase chickens instead of chicks and gluttony has replaced lechery among the marauders’ many sins. But the curious will have to look sharp to spot the “politically correct” changes that have sparked so much controversy over the 30-year-old attraction.
“To be honest, I couldn’t really tell what had changed,” said Beth Harke of San Jose, one of the first Disneyland visitors to view the newly reopened ride, which had been closed for about two months. “This whole PC thing is really kind of silly.”

Fun fact: Pirates of the Caribbean is still open to this day, 23 years later.

mickEblu

Also just from fun... from 1997:

ANAHEIM —
Looks like the last “yo ho” goes to the Walt Disney Co.'s swashbuckling marketing machine.
After getting keelhauled for weeks for its decision to clean up some of the naughtier fare in its Pirates of the Caribbean attraction at Disneyland, the company got hordes of media and visitors to turn out Friday to view what amounted to little more than a new wrinkle in a venerable attraction.
Sure, pirates now chase chickens instead of chicks and gluttony has replaced lechery among the marauders’ many sins. But the curious will have to look sharp to spot the “politically correct” changes that have sparked so much controversy over the 30-year-old attraction.
“To be honest, I couldn’t really tell what had changed,” said Beth Harke of San Jose, one of the first Disneyland visitors to view the newly reopened ride, which had been closed for about two months. “This whole PC thing is really kind of silly.”

Fun fact: Pirates of the Caribbean is still open to this day, 23 years later.

Beth Harke is a moron or blind

el_super

Mine Train is the one valid example you have and you guys milk it to death. And let’s say what you re saying is true, the difference between before and then is that people would be pleasantly surprised and not still upset when the likes of Pixar Pier is unveiled.

The results aren't always consistent, but the change itself, and the inevitable vitriol it produces, has always been a part of Disneyland.

Heck, people were so upset that the Flying Saucers got removed for Space Mountain, that some 50 years later some bonehead exec wasted 100+ million dollars to recreate them for a few months. They honestly thought it was a GREAT idea.

el_super

Beth Harke is a moron or blind

So is that the problem? All of these terrible awful changes over decades only happened because they were supported by the morons that keep going to Disneyland?

Do you think Disneyland was really just built for morons?

mickEblu

The results aren't always consistent, but the change itself, and the inevitable vitriol it produces, has always been a part of Disneyland.

Heck, people were so upset that the Flying Saucers got removed for Space Mountain, that some 50 years later some bonehead exec wasted 100+ million dollars to recreate them for a few months. They honestly thought it was a GREAT idea.

Again let’s say what you re saying is true that still means your initial comment that “things haven’t changed in 50 years” is disingenuous at best. You re acknowledging now that they results aren’t always the same. The results were almost always an upgrade in the past even if 3 people complained beforehand.

el_super

Again let’s say what you re saying is true that still means your initial comment that “things haven’t changed in 50 years” is disingenuous at best. You re acknowledging now that they results aren’t always the same. The results were almost always an upgrade in the past even if 3 people complained beforehand.

The results are always subjective. The "how could they be some dumb as to take away the thing I like which is so clearly the best thing in Disneyland" complaints are eternal.

mickEblu

The results are always subjective. The "how could they be some dumb as to take away the thing I like which is so clearly the best thing in Disneyland" complaints are eternal.

Yes the ole “subjective” fall back when someone loses a debate or argument.

el_super

Yes the ole “subjective” fall back when someone loses a debate or argument.

No, I just don't want to have to explain why people preferred Pixar Pier to Paradise Pier and the characters on it's a small world to someone who isn't really receptive to thinking outside their own bubble. Long story short: Disney wouldn't be changing Splash Mountain if they didn't think it would work, and they have a pretty good track record of making things work.

mickEblu

No, I just don't want to have to explain why people preferred Pixar Pier to Paradise Pier and the characters on it's a small world to someone who isn't really receptive to thinking outside their own bubble. Long story short: Disney wouldn't be changing Splash Mountain if they didn't think it would work, and they have a pretty good track record of making things work.

Yes if we grade them through early 90s it’s a great track record. If we consider the last couple decades or better yet, the last 5 years there is cause for concern.

mickEblu

How do you prove that objectively?

This is where the conversation ends and I say “have a nice day.” When people are being disingenuous and refuse to use the common sense that the Good lord provided. I’m not going to waste my time listing examples for you because you ll want absolute scientific proof that Pixar Pier was a bad change.

Seriously, have a nice day.

el_super

This is where the conversation ends and I say “have a nice day.” When people are being disingenuous and refuse to use the common sense that the Good lord provided. I’m not going to waste my time listing examples for you because you ll want absolute scientific proof that Pixar Pier was a bad change.

Seriously, have a nice day.

Yeah, of course you can't prove it. It's entirely subjective.

I guess we can wait around another 50 years and see if Disney goes bankrupt because they removed Splash Mountain. Maybe then they will realize what a mistake it was.

mickEblu

Yeah, of course you can't prove it. It's entirely subjective.

I guess we can wait around another 50 years and see if Disney goes bankrupt because they removed Splash Mountain. Maybe then they will realize what a mistake it was.

Oh yes of course the money is the barometer argument because Disneyland is a business. If that’s how you really feel why are you in a fan forum? I’m sure it’s Disney’s profit margins that really sparked your interest in the place huh?

el_super

One more for the road: From TWENTY FOUR years ago:

These old favorites have joined others on the Disneyland scrapheap. But no matter how well deserved an attraction’s demise, how dated its theme, how tired its concept, Disneyphiles have mourned its passing--not for what it is, but for what it was. Shocked patrons flooded Disneyland phone lines in late 1994 when the aging Skyway to Tomorrowland closed without warning, although many hadn’t ridden it since they were children.
“It’s as if their childhoods are preserved in amber there,” said Karal Ann Marling, a professor of art history and American studies who has examined Disney’s influence on American culture. “Disneyland has had such a profound emotional impact on its visitors that they feel they have a stake in what happens.”

mickEblu

One more for the road: From TWENTY FOUR years ago:

These old favorites have joined others on the Disneyland scrapheap. But no matter how well deserved an attraction’s demise, how dated its theme, how tired its concept, Disneyphiles have mourned its passing--not for what it is, but for what it was. Shocked patrons flooded Disneyland phone lines in late 1994 when the aging Skyway to Tomorrowland closed without warning, although many hadn’t ridden it since they were children.
“It’s as if their childhoods are preserved in amber there,” said Karal Ann Marling, a professor of art history and American studies who has examined Disney’s influence on American culture. “Disneyland has had such a profound emotional impact on its visitors that they feel they have a stake in what happens.”

Ya seriously hit the road Jack. Nobody takes you seriously around here. You are the new resident Contrarian.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Ya seriously hit the road Jack. Nobody takes you seriously around here. You are the new resident Contrarian.

They have a point that I agree with. Things will continuously be taken away, some people will be upset, sad, angry, etc., some won’t care, Disney will put in new things, people will continue to come, and Disney will continue to make money.

It is a cycle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom