Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It’s literally the only IP that they have to hinge on.
That's my point. It's why the argument that P&tF doesn't actually encapsulate the black experience all that well doesn't hold water for me in this context, especially since we're comparing it to the work of Joel Chandler Harris 😆

I'm more of a Disney theme park fan than a Disney fan in general. Is P&tF really it for films with black protagonists? I guess there's Pixar's Soul too, right?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
That's my point. It's why the argument that P&tF doesn't actually encapsulate the black experience all that well doesn't hold water for me in this context, especially since we're comparing it to the work of Joel Chandler Harris 😆

I'm more of a Disney theme park fan than a Disney fan in general. Is P&tF really it for films with black protagonists? I guess there's Pixar's Soul too, right?
Ooohhh, gotcha. I agree with you. PatF does a decent job of incorporating pieces of African American culture. Is it the “blackest” movie I’ve ever seen? No. But again, it does a decent job, especially for a Disney movie.

Soul is the second of the two Disney films with black protagonists, but I would argue that it’s not a culturally black film.

No Name

There’s a new movie on Disney+ called Sneakerella starring a black protagonist. It’s a Cinderella story centered around sneakers and it’s a cheesy Disney-channel quality movie (which I love).

Of course there’s Black Panther too, which is their biggest. But when I can’t count past one hand, that’s not great. There are also no Disney rides starring a black character, which is not great.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Ooohhh, gotcha. I agree with you. PatF does a decent job of incorporating pieces of African American culture. Is it the “blackest” movie I’ve ever seen? No. But again, it does a decent job, especially for a Disney movie.

Ah yeah, I can see how my post was kind of inarticulate. I agree, it's a solid enough animated film that broadens Disney's range ever-so-slightly. Instead of finding fault with its characters and portrayal of black culture (as has been done repeatedly for hundreds of pages in this thread), we should be asking why it has to shoulder so much (especially since the IP it'll be replacing is the furthest thing in the universe from perfect, haha). Just sort of thinking out loud.

Soul is the second of the two Disney films with black protagonists, but I would argue that it’s not a culturally black film.
Ah, okay. Haven't seen it. The second of two films. Yikes.

Kind of surprised Disney hasn't found a way to shoehorn Soul into Pixar Pier. The land makes no sense anyway; it can't include a jazz club-inspired espresso bar or something?

Professortango1

Princess and the Frog would much better suit replacing Pooh's Honey Hunt. It's accessible for all ages, fits the bayou location better than a mountain, and would be far cheaper of an investment.

Give me a Facilier themed spook show experience elsewhere and I'm all in. PATF just doesn't fit Splash beyond the fact it takes place in the South and features talking animals voiced by black actors. And trying to tell some stakeless story of a lost trumpet on a thrill ride is a bit absurd. Its like theming Matterhorn to looking for Doc's glasses or Big Thunder to Alameda Slim's bewitchment of cows. Who is the ride aimed at?

Kirby86

They wouldn't replace a Winnie the Pooh attraction unless they replace it with another Winnie the Pooh one. That silly old bear makes Disney a lot of money.

No Name

Because Black Panther doesn’t count in this context. We’re talking about Disney animated features. Marvel is separate.
Okay sure. Obviously I didn’t know that because it was never said! Also not sure why it shouldn’t count but a Pixar film Soul does.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Tiana voice actor claimed on a talk show today that ride is opening in 2024. Didn't clarify which coast, despite what the site-that-won't-be-named is running with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom