Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

D.Silentu

Seen here, and on the other thread, are projections of what the reimagined throughline of the ride will be. One point that I believe may have been overlooked about Splash Mountain, Disneyland's specifically, is the vagueness of its storytelling. Several posts have praised the Disney World and Tokyo version for improving on this perceived fault. Personally I think it is an overlooked strength at Disneyland, exhibiting the infamous "cocktail chatter" approach of the original imagineers.

Having days now to reflect on the upcoming change it has occurred to me how essential to the spirit of the attraction this method is. The ride was built in the midst of a time when Imagineering was focussing more on telling stories with a linear narrative. Inadvertently, the looser storytelling on Splash made it feel more like the classic Disney attractions, while at the same time the drop provided contemporary thrills. I'm finding myself concerned that that modern imagineers will try and force upon riders an overabundance of plot. The ride is quick moving and likely not suited for detailed storytelling. I hope imagineers realize that a visit to familiar settings and characters will do and that no matter the theme, this ride plays by a more classic set of rules.

Last edited:

No Name

As you age, you move further from average age of the imagineers and the demographic they’re designing for. Sure, imagineering has a lot of legitimate issues. But this idea that new rides generally aren’t as good as older ones is partially your perception, which is likely different from the perception of younger people. It’s something that’s bound to happen and has to happen for the company to succeed. What’s encouraging is that this PatF retheme should have relatively broad appeal.

I don’t age so I don’t have this issue.

DLR92

I believe more than ever Disney have intentionally wanted remove Song of The South in favor Princess and The Frog to bring more synergy with modern Disney to sell more Princess and The Frog.
Once racial tension rose in the country, it was perfect timing to announce the change.

PiratesMansion

As you age, you move further from average age of the imagineers and the demographic they’re designing for. Sure, imagineering has a lot of legitimate issues. But this idea that new rides generally aren’t as good as older ones is partially your perception, which is likely different from the perception of younger people. It’s something that’s bound to happen and has to happen for the company to succeed. What’s encouraging is that this PatF retheme should have relatively broad appeal.

I don’t age so I don’t have this issue.

Yes and no.

That's probably part of it, but I think it's also a different design philosophy at work. Maybe not an entirely new one, but one where the priorities have shifted. The older attractions always had *at least* enough detail to be transportive; the biggest, grandest attractions had detail everywhere you looked.

Newer attractions rely more on you looking exactly where the Imagineers want you to because the minute your eye wanders you might be drawn to how much vast, empty space there is. If you're not looking exactly where the Imagineers want you to in FEA, for example, there's nothing to look at.

In fairness, this is probably an industry issue rather than a Disney-specific issue because I see it elsewhere too.

mickEblu

Seen here, and on the other thread, are projections of what the reimagined throughline of the ride will be. One point that I believe may have been overlooked about Splash Mountain, Disneyland's specifically, is the vagueness of its storytelling. Several posts have praised the Disney World and Tokyo version for improving on this perceived fault. Personally I think it is an overlooked strength at Disneyland, exhibiting the infamous "cocktail chatter" approach of the original imagineers.

Having days now to reflect on the upcoming change it has occurred to me how essential to the spirit of the attraction this method is. The ride was built in the midst of a time when Imagineering was focussing more on telling stories with a linear narrative. Inadvertently, the looser storytelling on Splash made it feel more like the classic Disney attractions, while at the same time the drop provided contemporary thrills. I'm finding myself concerned that that modern imagineers will try and force upon riders an overabundance of plot. The ride is quick moving and likely not suited for detailed storytelling. I hope imagineers realize that a visit to familiar settings and characters will do and that no matter the theme, this ride plays by a more classic set of rules.

Yes. This is what I’ve been trying to say.

SuddenStorm

Seeing a beloved attraction that's over 30 years old that represents a really special time for the Walt Disney Company and Imagineering get chucked out like yesterday's leftovers is heartbreaking.

One of the the last timeless and classic attractions ever built is about to get Cheapeked.

Edit to clarify- My statement that Splash Mountain represents a special time for the company was in no way meant to mean that Song of the South does. It was Disney when Eisner and Wells were at their peak, the Second Gen Imagineers were at their peak, and the year it debuted the Walt Disney Animation division began their Renaissance.

Last edited:

JD2000

it should be a lateral move. the solution was always to just remove the few animals tied in and be replaced to create a new story. this accomplishes that.

mickEblu

Seeing a beloved attraction that's over 30 years old that represents a really special time for the Walt Disney Company and Imagineering get chucked out like yesterday's leftovers is heartbreaking.

One of the the last timeless and classic attractions ever built is about to get Cheapeked.

Edit to clarify- My statement that Splash Mountain represents a special time for the company was in no way meant to mean that Song of the South does. It was Disney when Eisner and Wells were at their peak, the Second Gen Imagineers were at their peak, and the year it debuted the Walt Disney Animation division began their Renaissance.

I wish I could trick myself into thinking PatF can be nearly as good as Splash but Splash’s music makes that impossible.

No Name

Yes and no.

That's probably part of it, but I think it's also a different design philosophy at work. Maybe not an entirely new one, but one where the priorities have shifted. The older attractions always had *at least* enough detail to be transportive; the biggest, grandest attractions had detail everywhere you looked.

Newer attractions rely more on you looking exactly where the Imagineers want you to because the minute your eye wanders you might be drawn to how much vast, empty space there is. If you're not looking exactly where the Imagineers want you to in FEA, for example, there's nothing to look at.

In fairness, this is probably an industry issue rather than a Disney-specific issue because I see it elsewhere too.

Yes, and I understand you’ll disagree here, but in my opinion, that different design philosophy is not objectively worse. Some old rides are more like giant wax museums with limited movement, to a fault, whereas many newer rides direct attention to a more captivating focal point, sacrificing detail elsewhere. Because budgets aren’t endless so there’s always a tradeoff. I think it’s good to have variety, but I sometimes like the latter better to be honest.

Imagineering’s wildly out of control costs are a new problem though that undoubtedly affects what they can do.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I wish I could trick myself into thinking PatF can be nearly as good as Splash but the Splash’s music makes that impossible.

Splash's sound design is some of the best Disney's done. The instrumental 'How Do Ya Do' that plays before you get to the vocal section, the Bees buzzing before you get to the vocal laughing place, and the long Zip a Dee Doo Dah acting as a celebratory 'We survived!' after the first drop before the showboat finale.

The Imagineers then understood the importance of acclimating you between each part of the ride. The first 'How Do Ya Do' bit acts to immerse and introduce you to the setting. The same song also sets up what's happening- with Brer Rabbit talking about 'moving along'.

Having you dip drop into blacklit beehives really does a great job of giving everyone a chance to re acclimate before the Laughin' Place bit, and Burrow's Lament does a wonderful job of setting up the drop.

Not to mention those vultures.

Splash acted as Disneyland growing- they retained the iconic 'snore', a sound effect that was previously attributed to Rufus and I believe was initially recorded for the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It integrates beautifully with Fowler's Harbor and Critter Country and the subdued color palatte makes it believable next to Mansion and across from Thunder. I'm having a really tough time picturing such a brightly lit, cartoony attraction with a boat sticking out the top of it being right next to Mansion and New Orleans Square.

mickEblu

Splash's sound design is some of the best Disney's done. The instrumental 'How Do Ya Do' that plays before you get to the vocal section, the Bees buzzing before you get to the vocal laughing place, and the long Zip a Dee Doo Dah acting as a celebratory 'We survived!' after the first drop before the showboat finale.

The Imagineers then understood the importance of acclimating you between each part of the ride. The first 'How Do Ya Do' bit acts to immerse and introduce you to the setting. The same song also sets up what's happening- with Brer Rabbit talking about 'moving along'.

Having you dip drop into blacklit beehives really does a great job of giving everyone a chance to re acclimate before the Laughin' Place bit, and Burrow's Lament does a wonderful job of setting up the drop.

Not to mention those vultures.

Splash acted as Disneyland growing- they retained the iconic 'snore', a sound effect that was previously attributed to Rufus and I believe was initially recorded for the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It integrates beautifully with Fowler's Harbor and Critter Country and the subdued color palatte makes it believable next to Mansion and across from Thunder. I'm having a really tough time picturing such a brightly lit, cartoony attraction with a boat sticking out the top of it being right next to Mansion and New Orleans Square.

You re killing me

JD2000

can someone here explain why this does not make sense in frontierland at the magic kingdom? did these people forget about rivers of america right next door?

😜

lazyboy97o

can someone here explain why this does not make sense in frontierland at the magic kingdom? did these people forget about rivers of america right next door?

😜
Liberty Square and Frontierland are laid out chronologically and geographically. You Move west and forward in time from the American Revolution and the east. The western most part of Frontierland is the American southwest and that is not where New Orleans is located. Much of the aesthetic of Splash Mountain was changed from Georgia to western to try and better fit into the larger concept.

Animaniac93-98

Liberty Square and Frontierland are laid out chronologically and geographically. You Move west and forward in time from the American Revolution and the east. The western most part of Frontierland is the American southwest and that is not where New Orleans is located. Much of the aesthetic of Splash Mountain was changed from Georgia to western to try and better fit into the larger concept.

They also changed the arrangement of the songs/BGM too.

JD2000

louisiana is further west than georgia. so geographically there is no problem. chronologically maybe.

PiratesMansion

louisiana is further west than georgia. so geographically there is no problem. chronologically maybe.

Georgia's not in the Southwest. But at any rate, it's not going to fit. Their Splash didn't fit either and no one seemed to care, so either they'll make it work or people will just ignore it as they always have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom