Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Parteecia

You can’t rewrite history honestly FOR THE TIME black and white holding hands took guts to put on the screen.
Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson in 1935.
shirleytemple1_custom-cb0d4bb9b3271d20f3de207f592370661a35f458.jpg

Last edited:

josh2000

Making their quest to free themselves from Song of the South existing by retheming Splash Mountain a massive failure.
I'm sure they're well aware that they can never free themselves from the existence of the film.

But what they can do is erase any remaining references to it that linger. And that's exactly what they're (slowly) doing in the theme parks right now.

You can never totally run away from the past, but you can take active steps to make sure that regretful things are not part of your future. That's what Disney is doing.

Brer Panther

I'm sure they're well aware that they can never free themselves from the existence of the film.

But what they can do is erase any remaining references to it that linger. And that's exactly what they're (slowly) doing in the theme parks right now.

You can never totally run away from the past, but you can take active steps to make sure that regretful things are not part of your future. That's what Disney is doing.
You say that as though it's the right thing to do, or that Disney is doing this because they care about anyone being uncomfortable with Splash Mountain's existence.

The only reason this project was greenlit in the first place is because people online demanded it.

Kate F

You say that as though it's the right thing to do, or that Disney is doing this because they care about anyone being uncomfortable with Splash Mountain's existence.

The only reason this project was greenlit in the first place is because people online demanded it.
Seems pretty much like he’s saying. “If you don’t agree with Disney, you’re wrong, because they’re doing the right thing, and therefore you must inherently be in the wrong if you want the ride to stay”

How else am I supposed to read it?

skypilot2922

How is this different from the 'Memory Hole' in Orwell's 1984,

Disney is bowing to a small number of people organized into a online pressure group. What NEEDS to happen is the film should be reissued along with commentary about the state of race relations at the time of the film's release they were NOT GOOD. Because if we don't know about that time in history how can we learn from it and not make the mistakes made in the past again in a different form as George Santayana notes "those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it"

skypilot2922

Like I've said, I'm not saying that Song of the South isn't racist. But the ride and the movie are separate things.

Yes they are and interestingly enough the 'Splash' name comes from early IP synergy because of the movie 'Splash!' someone better versed in imagineering history probably knows the original name, I do not know the ride's initial name.

skypilot2922

No, they’re not.

The defining characteristic of US corporate management is cowardice and some pressure group runs a splashy PR campaign and management caves. In many cases the pressure comes from groups that are better described as "the perpetually offended by something industry" and this group generally does not buy or use the product or service.

Lets's be clear i'm not including toxic workplaces or active discrimination in 'targets of the offense industry' their executives deserve all the pain the 'Net can dish out.

I'm not gonna get political here but US companies would be better served by ignoring the pressure groups and concentrating on improving products and services.

josh2000

Seems pretty much like he’s saying. “If you don’t agree with Disney, you’re wrong, because they’re doing the right thing, and therefore you must inherently be in the wrong if you want the ride to stay”

How else am I supposed to read it?
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

I was responding to a post that said Disney's efforts to distance themselves from Song of the South by retheming Splash Mountain are useless because the film will eventually be public domain. So I responded by saying that Disney knows they can never erase the movie forever, but they can still remove any traces of it that still exists in the company's current offerings. You are entitled to think that this is only happening because of a petition but I disagree. Disney has been regretful for a long time.

Even though I support the Splash Mountain retheme, I understand that this is not a one-sided issue and everyone is entitled to feel however they want about it. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to think or feel. This is a forum for discussion, so I will discuss the issues and respond to things that others are saying.

skypilot2922

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

I was responding to a post that said Disney's efforts to distance themselves from Song of the South by retheming Splash Mountain are useless because the film will eventually be public domain. So I responded by saying that Disney knows they can never erase the movie forever, but they can still remove any traces of it that still exists in the company's current offerings. You are entitled to think that this is only happening because of a petition but I disagree. Disney has been regretful for a long time.

Even though I support the Splash Mountain retheme, I understand that this is not a one-sided issue and everyone is entitled to feel however they want about it. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to think or feel. This is a forum for discussion, so I will discuss the issues and respond to things that others are saying.

Key there is 'people online',

I did not see people protesting SotS or Splash Mountain outside WDW and DL and Disney corporate locations.

More and more online campaigns are fraudulent in the sense they are paid for by a pressure group and use bots to generate fake protest communications.

This was why California recently passed a law requiring lobbying groups to release their members names and addresses, It was shot down by the courts but unfortunately without this data how does one separate a genuine online campaign from a paid for fraudulent one.

The NPRM to repeal net neutrality had millions of comments, trouble was 90% of them were from bots rented by the service providers, Plausibly deniable but an online pressure campaign that worked but had no real grassroots support

Anyway with this i'm done with this subject

Brer Panther

I legitimately never saw a single person equating Splash Mountain with Song of the South until 2020. It's not like its featuring characters that appeared in Song of the South was some sort of well-kept secret.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced that this isn't because of the people demanding it be rethemed online. It's waaaaaaaay too much of a coincidence that Disney had the exact same idea that Frederick Chambers and his fans were pushing. Especially since they brushed off The Princess and the Frog as a flop and ignored it for years.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The defining characteristic of US corporate management is cowardice and some pressure group runs a splashy PR campaign and management caves. In many cases the pressure comes from groups that are better described as "the perpetually offended by something industry" and this group generally does not buy or use the product or service.

Lets's be clear i'm not including toxic workplaces or active discrimination in 'targets of the offense industry' their executives deserve all the pain the 'Net can dish out.

I'm not gonna get political here but US companies would be better served by ignoring the pressure groups and concentrating on improving products and services.
Disney does what they want. This project had been planned before that CM got online and started complaining. I’d wager the majority of fans want Splash to stay and they’re still getting rid of it. They don’t care.

skypilot2922

Disney does what they want. This project had been planned before that CM got online and started complaining. I’d wager the majority of fans want Splash to stay and they’re still getting rid of it. They don’t care.

On that you and I are in full agreement, It's unfortunate that no one in disney senior leadership is a parks fan.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
On that you and I are in full agreement, It's unfortunate that no one in disney senior leadership is a parks fan.
Disney only cares about money/profit. They also don’t want their name to look bad in the media. We are living in a time where many social issues are being brought up and discussed/analyzed. Splash is unfortunately linked to SotS, a film they’ve been hiding from for decades. They’re trying to dodge any potential accusations of racism before more and more people find out about SotS. PatF is an easy choice because not only does the story take place in New Orleans, but the main character is a princess and a black one at that. Extra points for “inclusion and diversity.” Couple this with the fact that PatF/Tiana is easily marketable and they don’t feel pressured to hide behind the film and the choice to replace Splash with a PatF becomes a very obviously great business decision.

Never mind that Splash is one of the few post-Walt Disneyland attractions that’s canon and therefore a classic. They’re not concerned about how the fans feel. At all. And this goes for Disneyland and DCA in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom