Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

celluloid

Do you think Huckleberry Finn should be a banned book?
For the record, I agree and see this point because it was the other example that came to mind. Context and more specifically intent matters.

It is the same issue that Splash Mountain and Song of the South has faced.

If Randy Newman using the N Word(in multiple songs) in what he claims and some see as satire is okay, than the characters used in fable and their intent are as well. Be it Huckleberry Finn or Song of the South.

The main reason I bring it up is that the work of Randy Newman can easily be (and likely will be with the way things are) just as easily misconstrued as the intent behind those in other well meaning projects and their context.

Last edited:

Roger_the_pianist

I think American school children would be fine without Huckleberry Finn. I remember having it in summer reading in high school and it was a miserably long thing. The N word is basically on every other page in that thing.

Books have been banned for far less.

Kate F

The majority of us don’t want the ride to change. Many have already said their peace and haven’t been contributing to this thread. Roger themselves said that they’re from the South, so not sure if they’ve ever even been to Disneyland.
The way a few members here go about it, it seems like they want me to conform to their way of thinking about this situation and that I have to accept it the way they did. I’m not them. If they’ve moved on, cool. But don’t make me follow suit or try to tell me “it doesn’t matter what you say, Disney’s doing it anyway.”

I understand Disney’s mindset. I’m not ignoring or dismissing any of the arguments that people are throwing out about why the ride is being rethemed (or at least I’ve never tried to). That doesn’t mean I have to agree with them, and I get the impression that some people think I have to.

If I am completely off the mark here with how people treat me, feel free to tell me so.

Roger_the_pianist

I've felt for a while now that people are looking way too far into things to justify calling Splash Mountain racist. I sincerely doubt Brer Rabbit's story is meant to be a metaphor for anything.

I will counter that by saying that plenty of people are scrambling for reasons to say Splash is not racist. (It is)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I
The way a few members here go about it, it seems like they want me to conform to their way of thinking about this situation and that I have to accept it the way they did. I’m not them. If they’ve moved on, cool. But don’t make me follow suit or try to tell me “it doesn’t matter what you say, Disney’s doing it anyway.”

I understand Disney’s mindset. I’m not ignoring or dismissing any of the arguments that people are throwing out about why the ride is being rethemed (or at least I’ve never tried to). That doesn’t mean I have to agree with them, and I get the impression that some people think I have to.

If I am completely off the mark here with how people treat me, feel free to tell me so.
I’ve told you you’re off the mark many times. You keep playing this victim role though for the sake of arguing. No one’s making you do anything. You keep talking about other posters and their opinions, attacking them for it even, (despite you feeling you’re getting attacked for yours), and yet you continue to return to this sub-forum and this thread to engage with them and argue even more. You’re looking to argue and feel victimized at this point.

The majority of our small group here in the DL sub-forum don’t want Splash leaving, once again.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

If you were at a party and started doing an impression of Br'er Fox on Splash Mountain talking in that manner, do you think people would think you were o
You are talking about 2 different things. If I am doing an impression and I explain to people who it is a impression of with context, then it's fine. If I have been talking that way since birth and I am going to a party with people who obviously know me or else why would they invite me, and they know I have always talked that way then its fine. If I get invited to a party with people I know, and I just randomly start doing that voice; that is not my normal voice, people will obviously know I AM doing a old time southern accent but will wonder why I am doing it of or ask who the impression was of. They will get I am doing it for a reason, most likely to be funny. Knowing I am doing an impression of someone and ask me more info. Most people wouldn't start doing it without explaining the context of it. Did that go the way you thought it was going to go? NOPE.

Last edited:

Roger_the_pianist

I think somewhere along the way people convinced themselves that the Br'ers are white, even though they are voiced by black actors (I don't know the race of the voice actors in the attraction, just the film)

So if the characters are white they aren't as offensive (even though this should be worse because it's like white characters in blackface)

But of course many will argue *they're just critters they have no race* but in reality these are caricatures of harmful stereotypes of African Americans

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I think somewhere along the way people convinced themselves that the Br'ers are white, even though they are voiced by black actors (I don't know the race of the voice actors in the attraction, just the film)

So if the characters are white they aren't as offensive (even though this should be worse because it's like white characters in blackface)

But of course many will argue *they're just critters they have no race* but in reality these are caricatures of harmful stereotypes of African Americans
Rabbits don't have a race. They are rabbits. Especially cartoon rabbits.

GoneForGood

I assume your essay concerns AAVE? Correct me if I’m wrong.
I suppose it was less of an essay, more of that post I had made a few pages ago. *(I was being facetious.) It mentions the Gullah- Geechee people and their influence in these stories and history. I feel like their involvement in Brer Rabbit's history can go overlooked. Now, I never brought it up to excuse it of any criticism. But to give some form of context.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom