Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

So good ol Jim Hill speaks about the Splash Mountain re theme on his podcast today.

Here are some of the highlights (or lowlights)...

- Princess Tiana and Naveen will not be frogs and only be seen at the beginning (How do you do) and end (Zip-a-dee-doo-day scenes)

- Louis is driving the story. The majority of the ride from How Do you do through Laughing Place will be Louis chasing his trumpet that he drops in the flume / water.

- They will honor some of Splash Mountain vignettes like Brer Bear stuck in the honey for example with Louis stuck in prickles (?)

-Blacklit scenes during Laughing Place will now be Ray and the other fireflies.

-Burrows Lament through first lift hill will be “friends on the other side” with projections on the tunnel and Dr Facilers shadow where Brer Fox’s shadow is now

-Mama Odie will be at top of lift hill and waves her magic wand to stop Dr. Facilier. The Blast of magic is what sends riders down the hill

-You will be surrounded by cranes who sing “Dig a little Deeper” in the drop tunnel.

-Zip a dee dopo dah finale takes place on the New Orleans waterfront with fireworks going off and Louis reunited with his trumpet.

-One last gag where Brer Fox and Brer Bear are being bit by the gator in Splash... Louis loses his trumpet again (4 feet later) and is frantically looking for it but unbeknownst to him it’s on his head. Hahahahahahh 🙄

- flume layout stays the same

- PatF wouldn’t open until 2024/2025

- Disney would like to do some Splash is going away fan events and sell limited edition merch. (Look how smart they are - they timed their announcement to get the virtue signaling points but never really mentioned that they find the ride problematic which opens the door for plenty of limited edition merch and fan events)

- Splash might close in 2022 after WDW 50th anniversary. (Not sure if this applies to DL as well)

-Disneylands version will at least lose 40 of the animatronics or more.

Some of my thoughts- Not sure why this overlay would take 2+ years? Happy to hear it’s critter based and not Tiana focused and that they are doing that 1:1 overlay I was talking about by honoring some of the vignettes and keeping the flow of the ride the same like with the blacklit laughing place and tense moments during lift hill.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Ok so everyone who reads “Jim Hill“ at the top of my post and doesn’t like what he has to say better skip over the entire post I just wrote and not reap any of the benefits of me writing it.

Didn’t feel the need to write the mandatory Jim Hill/ take this with a grain of salt disclaimer because that goes without saying for any rumor.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Wait did Jim Hill say Brer Fox and Bear are making an actual appearance or is it a tribute to that scene with a different set of characters?

No I wasn’t clear - it would be Louis there now******** @@@@@@ &&&&&&

***** if the rumor is true

@@@@ if the rumor is currently true and actually comes to fruition and doesn’t change by 2025.

&&&&& if we make it to 2025 and COVID19 doesn’t kill us all.

SplashGhost

The ambiguity of an attraction's IP helps it remain timeless and last decades.

Imagine if they had themed Space Mountain after 'The Black Hole' or something. I guarantee you it wouldn't have lasted this long.

Pirates of the Caribbean is now forever forced on live action Disney films from the 2000's- while popular this will date the ride far quicker than if they had left Johnny Depp out of it, and now with Redd in the live action films the ride is going to be forced to change even further.

Splash Mountain has always functioned independently from its source material- and this helped the attraction feel timeless and helped it resonate with 30 years of park guests.

As far as I'm concerned the best IP attractions in Disneyland are Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Splash Mountain and they feature the most obscure IPs in a major attraction at the park. Disney theme parks shouldn't be about IPs, they should be about timeless themed experiences. Regardless of if anyone recognized the characters, Splash Mountain would be just as relevant in 100 years as it was the year it opened, since it stands on its own.

SuddenStorm

As far as I'm concerned the best IP attractions in Disneyland are Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Splash Mountain and they feature the most obscure IPs in a major attraction at the park. Disney theme parks shouldn't be about IPs, they should be about timeless themed experiences. Regardless of if anyone recognized the characters, Splash Mountain would be just as relevant in 100 years as it was the year it opened, since it stands on its own.

Agreed! Let's add Indiana Jones Adventure to that list- since the ride takes place in a completely new setting, and barely relies on Dr. Jones to tell the story.

SplashGhost

Agreed! Let's add Indiana Jones Adventure to that list- since the ride takes place in a completely new setting, and barely relies on Dr. Jones to tell the story.

I agree, Indiana Jones Adventure works great because the main thing it gets from the movie is the music and the concept. It works completely on its own with no prior knowledge of the movies needed.

Newer attractions like Guardians and Galaxy's Edge require that people know the movies they are based on to really understand the attractions. Those will age poorly once the GOTG movies and the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy start to fade out of pop culture.

Surferboy567

Ok so everyone who reads “Jim Hill“ at the top of my post and doesn’t like what he has to say better skip over the entire post I just wrote and not reap any of the benefits of me writing it.

Didn’t feel the need to write the mandatory Jim Hill/ take this with a grain of salt disclaimer because that goes without saying for any rumor.

I listened to this last night. Was trying to point people in the right direction. Thank you for posting, if you don’t mind I shared it in the WDW fourms as well.

Brer Panther

- Princess Tiana and Naveen will not be frogs and only be seen at the beginning (How do you do) and end (Zip-a-dee-doo-day scenes)

- Louis is driving the story. The majority of the ride from How Do you do through Laughing Place will be Louis chasing his trumpet that he drops in the flume / water.

- They will honor some of Splash Mountain vignettes like Brer Bear stuck in the honey for example with Louis stuck in prickles (?)

-Blacklit scenes during Laughing Place will now be Ray and the other fireflies.

-Burrows Lament through first lift hill will be “friends on the other side” with projections on the tunnel and Dr Facilers shadow where Brer Fox’s shadow is now

-Mama Odie will be at top of lift hill and waves her magic wand to stop Dr. Facilier. The Blast of magic is what sends riders down the hill

-You will be surrounded by cranes who sing “Dig a little Deeper” in the drop tunnel.

-Zip a dee dopo dah finale takes place on the New Orleans waterfront with fireworks going off and Louis reunited with his trumpet.

-One last gag where Brer Fox and Brer Bear are being bit by the gator in Splash... Louis loses his trumpet again (4 feet later) and is frantically looking for it but unbeknownst to him it’s on his head. Hahahahahahh 🙄

- flume layout stays the same

- PatF wouldn’t open until 2024/2025

- Disney would like to do some Splash is going away fan events and sell limited edition merch. (Look how smart they are - they timed their announcement to get the virtue signaling points but never really mentioned that they find the ride problematic which opens the door for plenty of limited edition merch and fan events)

- Splash might close in 2022 after WDW 50th anniversary. (Not sure if this applies to DL as well)

-Disneylands version will at least lose 40 of the animatronics or more.

Some of my thoughts- Not sure why this overlay would take 2+ years? Happy to hear it’s critter based and not Tiana focused and that they are doing that 1:1 overlay I was talking about by honoring some of the vignettes and keeping the flow of the ride the same like with the blacklit laughing place and tense moments during lift hill.
I'm glad to hear that Ray will at least be in the ride, but this still sounds preeeeeeeeeeetty crappy. I don't like imagining the Laughing Place being stripped of animatronics and just being a bunch of lights meant to represent fireflies.

Surferboy567

Sounds like a plot ripped from a Dora the Explorer episode. "Do you see the trumpet? Where? There it is! Great job! We Did it!"

I have to say...this was funny great comment. It is kind of weird to focus on a trumpet but it’s impossible to get any kind of controversy this way.

I’m not totally sold on this rumor but it at least sounds kinda plausible.

mickEblu

TP, thank you for this informative post. To be honest I'm not sure what's worse, Disney doing their usual thing of trying to upsell newer properties or Disney pretending they are "good guys" . Either way it leaves a bad taste.

The Splash announcement to me has proven that nothing is sacred in Disneyland. This retheme is the entire reason I won't attend once the ride closes.

Modern Disney sucks at making rides and the only reason Disneyland and Disneyworld continue to be popular is the classic attractions, despite what Disney's marketing and merchandise teams think.

There's no way the rest of the park wont be trashed in the next 10 years. Covid may have delayed the budgeting for more rethemes but I fully expect that by 2030 the park will be completely different.

I never thought I'd be saying this but with Pixar Pier, Soaring, Guardians, Splash, and whatever garbage is to follow, I do hope Disneyland/Disney Parks fails spectacularly so they can bottom out and either change course or sell the parks to an entity that cares.

IMO I don't understand why Tiana and the alligator look 25ft tall in the concept art. Did the artist not understand scale?

I entirely blame the CEO. If your employees have to ruin your themepark to sell "instagrammable food" to retain their jobs, that is a HUGE issue with the company's operations. What else will WDI have to ruin to keep getting a paycheck?

This sounds as awful as something I would expect from modern Disney. This is why I won't even give this ride a chance, their track record in recent years is garbage.

The "chase a Trumpet" "story" reminds me of the wonderful Incredicoaster story. Will Tiana and friends constantly be yelling in our ears to say where the trumpet is headed next?

The chase the trumpet part sounds extremely cringey to me. Like after the second vignette how does that not get old?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom