Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Constantly going "Song of the South is racist, there's a reason Disney hasn't released it for years, ergo Splash Mountain must go too" and "no, it was in development before people started demanding it!" isn't defending it?

There it is right there. You're defending their decision to retheme the ride.
tumblr_e4b23c9a86a24769f7807b6ef5a01f9e_e8395042_540.gif

Once again, there's a difference. We understand why they're removing the ride. That does not mean we want them too. Nobody here has said "GRRR I hate that racist bunny and his friends!! Grrr. They should just burn the ride down!" We understand that SotS has its issues, and that Disney simply wants nothing to do with the IP anymore

Brer Panther

Once again, there's a difference. We understand why they're removing the ride. That does not mean we want them too. Nobody here has said "GRRR I hate that racist bunny and his friends!! Grrr. They should just burn the ride down!" We understand that SotS has its issues, and that Disney simply wants nothing to do with the IP anymore
Dude, you did a post in the Imagineering thread detailing what you think the retheme will be like. And if you don't support the retheme, WHY ARE YOU GIVING THOSE OF US WHO ARE UPSET ABOUT IT A HARD TIME?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Constantly going "Song of the South is racist, there's a reason Disney hasn't released it for years, ergo Splash Mountain must go too" and "no, it was in development before people started demanding it!" isn't defending it?
NO. It’s not. Once again, it’s TRYING TO MAKE SENSE of the decision. We’re looking at this from the perspective of Disney and how they’re possibly perceiving this predicament. We are looking at it from all angles and UNDERSTANDING how and why Disney got to where they are. Learning the events that lead to wars doesn’t mean people are defending wars.

10E7DCE2-013F-41D2-A09A-36597082F9EE.jpeg

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Dude, you did a post in the Imagineering thread detailing what you think the retheme will be like.
So?? Doing this simply means @EagleScout610 has understood and accepted that the ride is being changed and might have an idea of what Disney will do with the re-theme. How does this equate to support and defense for Disney’s decision to change the ride?

el_super

The only reason the re-theme is happening is because of the Tiana series coming to Disney+.

Even if you want to take the most cynical approach, and believe that this isn't being done for progressive reasons, then you still have to admit that Splash Mountain was seen as a target, because it has less appeal to the general audience and makes less money in merchandise sales. The only way the math works on replacing Splash Mountain with a Tiana ride, is if Disney absolutely believed that the cost sunk into refurbishing the old ride, would net them gains over just building a new one entirely (read: there was already a problem with Splash Mountain that needed fixing).

Even if you don't want to assign a reason to it, you have to admit that Splash Mountain was an asset in decline.

DavidDL

I mean, I'm excited for the re-theme provided they actually do a good job with it. The problem is, we have absolutely no idea how this is going to turn out. If they do a crap job, then I'm going to be upset they got rid of Splash. But if they do what I feel is a great job, then I'll be more than accepting of the changeover.

Honestly, Critter Country has lacked a bit of cohesion since Pooh moved in back in '03. Before that, it was sort of a "deep south extension" from New Orleans Square with the likes of Splash and Country Bears next door to each other. Ever since Pooh replaced the Country Bears, I feel that balance was upset (since Pooh definitely feels out of place in a southern motif). But Princess and the Frog feels like it belongs more at home next to something like Pooh and will sort of finally and definitively re-define that corner of the park from southern extension feat. critters to a new, more whimsical critter area. Between PatF and Pooh, that corner of the park sort of becomes a type of "critter Fantasyland".

I have history with Splash. I was born days before it's opening (so I grew up with it) and when I was finally old enough to do so, I spent nearly half a decade of my life working Splash as a Cast Member. I'm sad to see it go but I'm finding it hard to hate on the idea of what's replacing it. I think PatF will better tie that corner of the park together (as long as Pooh is around) and makes a literal perfect choice of source material to transition between New Orleans Square and a land based on critters. I don't hate Splash but I do like the concept of what's coming. What remains to be seen, is the execution of said concept.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Which movie has been locked up for years and years? Which one do they pretend doesn't exist? It's as simple as this: In Disney's eyes, Song of the South has to go forever, and by that logic, Splash has to go forever.
Dumbo is far more racist and Disney has that available. The difference? Dumbo is beloved and enjoyable to watch whereas Song of the South is a bit of a bore. The animated sequences are fun, which is why Disney didn't hide them. They were on Disney sing-a-long tapes, they had giant $40 picture books of Uncle Remus stories, and had the characters present in the parks. Disney actively had cut away the enjoyable parts of the film from the stigmatized body and was successful at it. 1001 Arabian Nights is racist too, and that's where Aladdin comes from. The source material for a group of stories shouldn't impact how those stories were then adapted and treated.

Professortango1

As an African American, I take way more offense to SotS. Jim Crow and his buds are clearly caricatures of African Americans, but at least they’re likable. Remus is unbearable.

You think his Oscar winning performance is more unbearable than calling black people "apes" and claiming they can't read nor write nor manage money? Blackface and a minstrel routine is more acceptable because they're likeable? The biggest sin in SOTS is showing happy farm hands and avoiding the topic of slavery. Dumbo has active racism rather than racism through omission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom