Spirited Special II: DHS Guardians Tower Not Dead; DL to Trade Nostalgia For Star Wars Pyro

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yup. Back with another summer special to ease you all into the dog days of August.

And where to start? How about we start with what isn't dead? What is that you ask?

Plans for WDW's ToT to be covered in the same horrendous overlay as will be happening in Anaheim that is. No, the project isn't dead. Just like the GotG takeover isn't a done deal for EPCOT yet. And, yes, I was one who agreed it was (but I didn't break that news as I am sure others here who follow such things will attest).

As near as I can tell, the folks working on the EPCOT GotG project are looking for a fan push to help them figuring (sadly, likely correctly) that there is no love lost for Ellen's mid-90s bastardization of the Universe of Energy. And that folks are far less likely to complain about killing one last remnant of EPCOT Center versus destroying about the only thing still worth visiting The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios for.

So ... what happened? Well, despite all the online chatter from folks who claim to have sources (but largely are repeating what they read on the Tweeter or simply feeding their flocks information that is coming directly from Disney's --UNI too! --publicity machine, WDW's Tower makeover was still happening as we got into June. Then, George K showed some testicular fortitude and actually stood up to Disney P&R Head Bob 'Chappie' Chapek. He told the bald wonder at selling Thor hammers and Captain America tees that WDW simply couldn't afford to lose any more capacity at a park that really has nothing at all to do, yet somehow still charges over $100 a day.

As a friend in a position to know picks up our tale, "George K. successfully pleaded to Chapek that DHS and WDW overall couldn't spare to lose a headliner E Ticket long-term before Avatar and Toy Story Land opens. As a point of reference, DCA has 22 different rides that have a combined capacity of 18,100 riders per hour, plus five theater attractions and a few walk-thru exhibits that have a combined capacity of 4,100 visitors per hour, and the four daily Frozen shows in the 2,000 seat Hyperion Theater that packs in 8,000 per day. DCA also has a daily parade and one or two World of Colors per night. DHS has only 5 rides, and even after the expansion of Midway Mania with a third track, those five rides now have a combined capacity of 8,400 riders per hour, plus a half dozen theater attractions and some walk-thrus that can get 3,600 visitors per hour when the staggered show times are smoothed out over a 12 hour operating day, no parade, and Fantasmic!.

That gives DCA a combined ride/theater capacity of 22,900 people per hour, plus a daily parade and World of Color. While DHS has a combined ride/theater capacity of 12,000 people per hour, no parade, but Fantasmic!.

Those sad DHS numbers were used by George K. to help convince Chapek that they can't spare closing Tower for an extended refurb until at least after Avatar and Toy Story Land both open. Chapek relented, but he loves the numbers and results coming out of the Anaheim operation and he can't understand why WDW can't be more like DLR. Chapek is also salivating at the future growth potential for Anaheim after he helped greenlight additional big budget DLR park expansion beyond Star Wars recently with the Board of Directors."

So, that is why Tower is "saved" at WDW. For however long remains to be seen. If the EPCOT project gets the green light, then it will likely be for many years to come. If not however ... change is still on the table.

And speaking of change ... and what likely will have DLR Prez Michael Colglazier throwing things at his computer when he hits the office tomorrow morning, it is coming to Anaheim in another major way (Paris too, but we'll get to that in a bit).

STAR WARS PYRO SHOW FOR ANAHEIM & PARIS in 2017

We all know (or should, we are fanbois after all! This stuff is important! Not like war and terrorism and elections and global warming!) that the spectacular DL 60th Anniversary fireworks show Forever is sorta a contradiction as it is going away forever in about five weeks. Originally, I had heard the plan was to bring back a retooled Remember Dreams Come True (yes, the 50th Anniversary pyro show that is much beloved by locals) with larger components for Star Wars and other new segments (likely Frozen and Marvel because as Robert A. Iger will tell you they were beloved to Walt).

That has all changed. The Bobs (Iger and Chappie) have concluded that DL has been spending too much time living in the past and focusing on nostalgia when what really counts is the future. And that future, of course, is Star Wars. And even though we are 2.5 years out from the opening of the SWE in the absolute best case, the Bobs want to start drilling things home.

(Yes, I realize that all of SW took place A Long Time Ago ...)

So ... get ready for The Force in the Sky (Star Wars Awakens). No, not sure what the title will be, but that sounds about right for what Disney is looking to do. Yes, 2017's new pyro and projection show (not sure on a debut date just yet, whether it will be early in the year or late spring) will be some version of what you see at DHS today and what you will see at WDSP also in 2017. The budget for the Paris version is quite healthy, so one would assume the same for Anaheim. Of course, despite what Star Wars fanbois will tell you, I do wonder how much material you have to work with. In other words, I wonder how different any of these shows will actually be ... it's all the same music, all the same characters, same emotional arcs etc. But that doesn't seem to matter as Iger really only cares about BLPs as some have come to call them in Burbank or Bob's Legacy Projects.

But these will not be special event fireworks or temporary. These will be Anaheim's new nightly show.
As for why Paris is showing them in its second gate the answer is simple: They can do much larger quantities and qualities of pyro due to its location versus the castle park. They have already been testing projections all over ... you guessed it, the ToT.

One other quick note, but west coast Potterland hasn't done anything to harm DL's numbers this summer. Indeed, folks are crowing in TDA that Potter has instead actually helped DLR sustain its great 2015 numbers. People on the left coast are wondering if those visiting Potter are adding a day to stays or opting for it versus other SoCal attractions not located in Anaheim.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't congratulate one of my favourite Lifestlylers 'That Dude' Derek Burgan who just celebrated his third year of writing the best damn column on Disney Outlets in the blogosphere. When I want to know where I can find 2014 vinyls or shirts that never saw the light of day in a true Disney theme park retail outlet or just plain Disney trash that no one else would even think was worthy of a millisecond of their attention, I know That Dude will be there for me, and I smile as I spend $6.99 on Disney crap I don't really need and they refuse to do the humane thing and send to a landfill. Congrats!

Last edited:

cdd89

I bet we'll get both, but if I had to choose between the lesser of two evils it would be the bastardisation of DHSTOT rather than Epcot.

There's no thematic excuse for Sunset Boulevard to lead to a GotG attraction, but I've grown to sad acceptance that DHS is a thematically defunct park to be used as the breeding ground for any IP that can be shoehorned in. I don't even resent Star Wars there.

Epcot on the other hand has been largely sacrosanct (excluding the content of the attractions themselves, but they're nothing to write home about anyway) and deserves to keep that status. It's a pleasant park to walk around and it's ambience is the reason I visit WDW. I'm sure empty threats like this are common, but if Epcot's atmosphere changed too much for the worse, I would have no reason to visit WDW any more.

I must be the only person who likes Ellen's Energy Adventure, but even those who don't at least have the reassurance that the attracting exterior looks similar. I very much doubt a GotG replacement would keep that exterior the same, such is the devotion to throwing away history.

In short, I don't understand why more than one park has to be devoted to promoting the latest and greatest IPs Disney has managed to conjure up, when one park's current raison d'etre appears to be precisely this.

Goofywilliam

1. Why are they forcing an IP into a location that makes no sense. I feel as if Guardians has no place in Epcot, or DCA. Unless WDW can do a full Marvel themed land, then what's the point? It would seem out of place to just represent one story.
2. Why would they even think about getting rid of Disneyland Forever. I absolutely loved the show when I visited Disneyland for the first time this past spring. A Star Wars firework show would be terrible and would only be catering toward a certain audience.

rct247

I hate the Guardian of the Galaxy has to come to Tower or Ellen as they as half attempts when more effort should be put into the ride, the placements, etc.

Any fan boi can do better and that's a dare. I double dog dare Disney and the powers that be produce something better because frankly many people could and that is just sad.

Synergy only works when it's good.

Last edited:

clemmo

I can't believe I'm saying this but if those are the only options I vote for GOTG in Epcot (wow that was hard to say). I was thinking that GOTG in energy was very close to being green lit, has that changed recently especially due to the fallout from DCA TOT?

Belpois2712

Yup. Back with another summer special to ease you all into the dog days of August.

And where to start? How about we start with what isn't dead? What is that you ask?

Plans for WDW's ToT to be covered in the same horrendous overlay as will be happening in Anaheim that is. No, the project isn't dead. Just like the GotG takeover isn't a done deal for EPCOT yet. And, yes, I was one who agreed it was (but I didn't break that news as I am sure others here who follow such things will attest).

As near as I can tell, the folks working on the EPCOT GotG project are looking for a fan push to help them figuring (sadly, likely correctly) that there is no love lost for Ellen's mid-90s bastardization of the Universe of Energy. And that folks are far less likely to complain about killing one last remnant of EPCOT Center versus destroying about the only thing still worth visiting The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios for.

So ... what happened? Well, despite all the online chatter from folks who claim to have sources (but largely are repeating what they read on the Tweeter or simply feeding their flocks information that is coming directly from Disney's --UNI too! --publicity machine, WDW's Tower makeover was still happening as we got into June. Then, George K showed some testicular fortitude and actually stood up to Disney P&R Head Bob 'Chappie' Chapek. He told the bald wonder at selling Thor hammers and Captain America tees that WDW simply couldn't afford to lose any more capacity at a park that really has nothing at all to do, yet somehow still charges over $100 a day.

As a friend in a position to know picks up our tale, "George K. successfully pleaded to Chapek that DHS and WDW overall couldn't spare to lose a headliner E Ticket long-term before Avatar and Toy Story Land opens. As a point of reference, DCA has 22 different rides that have a combined capacity of 18,100 riders per hour, plus five theater attractions and a few walk-thru exhibits that have a combined capacity of 4,100 visitors per hour, and the four daily Frozen shows in the 2,000 seat Hyperion Theater that packs in 8,000 per day. DCA also has a daily parade and one or two World of Colors per night. DHS has only 5 rides, and even after the expansion of Midway Mania with a third track, those five rides now have a combined capacity of 8,400 riders per hour, plus a half dozen theater attractions and some walk-thrus that can get 3,600 visitors per hour when the staggered show times are smoothed out over a 12 hour operating day, no parade, and Fantasmic!.

That gives DCA a combined ride/theater capacity of 22,900 people per hour, plus a daily parade and World of Color. While DHS has a combined ride/theater capacity of 12,000 people per hour, no parade, but Fantasmic!.

Those sad DHS numbers were used by George K. to help convince Chapek that they can't spare closing Tower for an extended refurb until at least after Avatar and Toy Story Land both open. Chapek relented, but he loves the numbers and results coming out of the Anaheim operation and he can't understand why WDW can't be more like DLR. Chapek is also salivating at the future growth potential for Anaheim after he helped greenlight additional big budget DLR park expansion beyond Star Wars recently with the Board of Directors."

So, that is why Tower is "saved" at WDW. For however long remains to be seen. If the EPCOT project gets the green light, then it will likely be for many years to come. If not however ... change is still on the table.

And speaking of change ... and what likely will have DLR Prez Michael Colglazier throwing things at his computer when he hits the office tomorrow morning, it is coming to Anaheim in another major way (Paris too, but we'll get to that in a bit).

STAR WARS PYRO SHOW FOR ANAHEIM & PARIS in 2017

We all know (or should, we are fanbois after all! This stuff is important! Not like war and terrorism and elections and global warming!) that the spectacular DL 60th Anniversary fireworks show Forever is sorta a contradiction as it is going away forever in about five weeks. Originally, I had heard the plan was to bring back a retooled Remember Dreams Come True (yes, the 50th Anniversary pyro show that is much beloved by locals) with larger components for Star Wars and other new segments (likely Frozen and Marvel because as Robert A. Iger will tell you they were beloved to Walt).

That has all changed. The Bobs (Iger and Chappie) have concluded that DL has been spending too much time living in the past and focusing on nostalgia when what really counts is the future. And that future, of course, is Star Wars. And even though we are 2.5 years out from the opening of the SWE in the absolute best case, the Bobs want to start drilling things home.

(Yes, I realize that all of SW took place A Long Time Ago ...)

So ... get ready for The Force in the Sky (Star Wars Awakens). No, not sure what the title will be, but that sounds about right for what Disney is looking to do. Yes, 2017's new pyro and projection show (not sure on a debut date just yet, whether it will be early in the year or late spring) will be some version of what you see at DHS today and what you will see at WDSP also in 2017. The budget for the Paris version is quite healthy, so one would assume the same for Anaheim. Of course, despite what Star Wars fanbois will tell you, I do wonder how much material you have to work with. In other words, I wonder how different any of these shows will actually be ... it's all the same music, all the same characters, same emotional arcs etc. But that doesn't seem to matter as Iger really only cares about BLPs as some have come to call them in Burbank or Bob's Legacy Projects.

But these will not be special event fireworks or temporary. These will be Anaheim's new nightly show.
As for why Paris is showing them in its second gate the answer is simple: They can do much larger quantities and qualities of pyro due to its location versus the castle park. They have already been testing projections all over ... you guessed it, the ToT.

One other quick note, but west coast Potterland hasn't done anything to harm DL's numbers this summer. Indeed, folks are crowing in TDA that Potter has instead actually helped DLR sustain its great 2015 numbers. People on the left coast are wondering if those visiting Potter are adding a day to stays or opting for it versus other SoCal attractions not located in Anaheim.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't congratulate one of my favourite Lifestlylers 'That Dude' Derek Burgan who just celebrated his third year of writing the best damn column on Disney Outlets in the blogosphere. When I want to know where I can find 2014 vinyls or shirts that never saw the light of day in a true Disney theme park retail outlet or just plain Disney trash that no one else would even think was worthy of a millisecond of their attention, I know That Dude will be there for me, and I smile as I spend $6.99 on Disney crap I don't really need and they refuse to do the humane thing and send to a landfill. Congrats!
WDW to be more like Disneyland how? By attendance, retheming attractions, character interactions? Or just park management like TDO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom