Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveMeTheMusic

I must be in the vadt minority here.
In the past, let's say 10 visits, each consisting of 10 park days, I have NEVER seen a single day time parade/show. At any of the parks.
On the other hand, I do enjoy most of the night time shows and parades.

I've never actually watched the whole parade at DAK, but even when I've been there on slow days the route has been packed with people to watch. And once the parade passes, the park empties out. If MJJP is all that keeps people in the park till 4pm, they're going to face a serious guest spending problem without a parade. I don't even think it's a good parade, but until FOF opens, it's the best one they have.

And if Avatar won't be ready for another 3 - 5 years, DAK will continue to decline with DHS while it's under construction, and I fear the drop could be dramatic. All of this could have been avoided with some simple common sense planning, but that is too much to ask for a company as bloated and immobile as Disney.

asianway

Completely agree - it is ridiculous. In some cases I think they are just looking for the attention (and links), and in other cases they are just being irresponsible.

What makes it worse is that we then get some of our own members here creating a thread about "some random blog says", when it is just a complete rehash of what has been said here for months, or years.
And then they subtweet magic over and over as to how awful it is. And no one ever challenges them on it.

pheneix

Bad news potentially on the Parisian front.

100% true. I mentioned several weeks ago that Euro Disney SCA was burning through cash like no tomorrow and that the resort is now generating operating losses.

This is the tip of an ICEBERG of bad news that will be coming out of Euro Disney over the next 18 months. Well, 15 months. I don't think DLRP will be operating for all of them.

Taylor

100% true. I mentioned several weeks ago that Euro Disney SCA was burning through cash like no tomorrow and that the resort is now generating operating losses.

This is the tip of an ICEBERG of bad news that will be coming out of Euro Disney over the next 18 months. Well, 15 months. I don't think DLRP will be operating for all of them.
Can Disney sell the park? How much money is the resort losing?

pheneix

No, this is Disney's problem and they will have to take ownership of it. Closing the resort permanently is barely an option because the parks would simply be seized, stripped of Disney IP, and then reopened very shortly thereafter with a clean balance sheet and a new operator. Disney is not that dumb.

No one will buy these parks unless they go through bankruptcy. The deck is stacked too much against the resort.

Win/lose/draw, Disneyland Resort Paris as we know it is OVER folks. Maybe we'll get a miracle project like DCA 2.0. On the other hand, its also more likely that Disney simply raises a white flag and lets the resort flounder while it looks for new investors.

EDIT: EDL's first 6 months of financials for 2013 are online now. They reported a "narrower net loss" for this period but really its all just numbers being shoveled around to paper over losses. In truth, they don't even know if they will make payroll for the Christmas season.

stevehousse

I do not see them selling the parks! I just don't think we will see anything new after the Rat ride comes out for a few years so they can try to fix their finances and actually try to make a profit.

I give that park 5-8 years before we actually see anything new come to it.

Taylor

No, this is Disney's problem and they will have to take ownership of it. Closing the resort permanently is barely an option because the parks would simply be seized, stripped of Disney IP, and then reopened very shortly thereafter with a clean balance sheet and a new operator. Disney is not that dumb.

No one will buy these parks unless they go through bankruptcy. The deck is stacked too much against the resort.

Win/lose/draw, Disneyland Resort Paris as we know it is OVER folks. Maybe we'll get a miracle project like DCA 2.0. On the other hand, its also more likely that Disney simply raises a white flag and lets the resort flounder while it looks for new investors.

EDIT: EDL's first 6 months of financials for 2013 are online now. They reported a "narrower net loss" for this period but really its all just numbers being shoveled around to paper over losses. In truth, they don't even know if they will make payroll for the Christmas season.
Wow! That's sad, that's just sad for the people directly affected like workers and guests, and it will definitely affect tourism in the area.

GiveMeTheMusic

Wow. How embarrassing.

Wikkler

Also:

The_cake_is_a_lie.jpg

Weird I was going to say that but then I just said it was a lie...

the.dreamfinder

How much will Disney have to put into the resort to put it back on stable footing long term?

Bob put your big boy pants on and deal with this like an adult.

Wikkler

2016 - They sell Disneyland Paris to Universal Studios
2018 - They sell Tokyo Disneyland to Universal Studios
2023 - They sell Hong Kong Disneyland to Universal Studios
2027 - They sell Shanghai Disneyland to Universal Studios
2035 - They sell Walt Disney World to Cedar Fair...

wdwfan4ver

2016 - They sell Disneyland Paris to Universal Studios
2018 - They sell Tokyo Disneyland to Universal Studios
2023 - They sell Hong Kong Disneyland to Universal Studios
2027 - They sell Shanghai Disneyland to Universal Studios
2035 - They sell Walt Disney World to Cedar Fair...
I don't know where are getting predictions from selling parks from or your time frame. The only one that could is Disneyland Paris. That Park is in debt.

Disney isn't going to sell Tokyo Disneyland. They are making a profit off it.

Hong Kong Disneyland at this point actually is now making profits and that means your time line is off unless something happens over there.

Selling Shanghai Disneyland 12 years after it opens sounds like wishful thinking by your part. The fact is no one on the message boards or Disney themselves will know how Shanghai Disneyland is going to be from a money standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom