Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingHead

Disneyjp-popup.jpg

Doesn't someone want to say Universal's Marvel land looks better than that?

;)

muteki

The theme to me is 'Ironman'. Which, incidentally, is what my wife said last night too!

Absolutely abysmal jokes aside, everything seems to be themed after the Ironman tech. The place (term used losely here) is build up from elements from his suit. It is as if a giant Ironman was caught mid-air by an even larger giant, who peeled out Robert Downey Jr. for a snack, then bended and twisted the individual parts of his suit to build a playground for the little people.
Does that really make sense though? I don't remember any structures or locations in the film that looked like the suit in building form. Tony's HQ was modern, Stark Expo was modern, I don't believe either borrowed from his suit. Doesn't look like anything from the films.

One of the differences between classic WED and modern WDI, is that in the old MK TL you can replace any attraction for a new one, and the theme remains intact. Whereas it is inconceivable to replace Iron Man with The Hulk, or Cars with Ratatouille, in their lands. The difference between place and theme/decoration.
Slap some red/gold or green/purple paint on it and you are good to go!

Stevek

According to Miceage this morning, both! They claim the plan is to rip out Autopia and put an outdoor speeder bike ride on that land that races through endor.

Also they are reporting the Astro Orbiter will be relocated from the hub and placed on the Space Mountain Concourse and the Millenium Falcon will go on the old People Mover platform with a meet and greet location inside.

So if this is true it looks like DL's Tomorrowland will be turned into Star Wars land plus Space Mountain.

I love Star Wars as much if not more than the next guy but I really am not excited about this. No Autopia, Astro Orbiter in an odd place AND 90% of an entire land themed to one property. What happens to Buzz? What about the Subs? My guess is that BLAB gets rethemed and the Subs either go away or get pulled into Fantasyland.

I'm guessing Disney a) realizes that TL will always be a thematic challenge so why not go all SW all day and b) this is likely the only property that can hurt Potter going in up the road. While us fanbois and girls likely won't love these changes, I'm guessing the general public will eat this up the way they ate up Cars Land.

Funmeister

Here is the thing. The theme for the HK Iron Man attraction does not matter. For the most part guests who visit do not know it is (based on concept art) a clone of Star Tours. THey are not fully aware of the immersive theming Disney is capable of executing. To them it is a new "exciting" ride. This ride will probably never be cloned at any US Disney theme park (or Tokyo). They see it as new exciting eye candy while we see it as a boring and poorly themed clone. This is actually good for HKDL even though it is not what it could or should be.

I am willing to bet that Disney is not paying for this and if they are it is a small percentage.

Next.

menamechris

If today's Miceage update is accurate - I read it as no new announcements for WDW in the foreseeable future. Only for CA and Tokyo. Nice. Real nice. Thank God Universal is on the ball and do enough expansion and projects for both resorts. I don't see myself renewing my Disney AP in the next 10 years at this rate.

doctornick

All this has nothing to do with our Tomorrowland here right? Just Cali?

I don't think there has been any indications of any changes coming to MK's TL at this time. If these plans come about, it's a massive changing of the theme for DLR's TL, basically making it virtually entirely centered on Star Wars. I'm actually pretty surprised by that, as it is a huge shift for DLR. I'm not sure that is going to sit well with the DL faithful/APs/regular guests even though Star Wars is pretty popular.

If today's Miceage update is accurate - I read it as no new announcements for WDW in the foreseeable future. Only for CA and Tokyo. Nice. Real nice.

@WDW1974 (and I think others) have indicated that it will basically be the same things going into DL's TL and DHS. Obviously, the Miceage article makes it a point to not mention WDW, but it seems likely to me that we'll see much of the same Star Wars attractions in Florida.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Oh thank God. I always think I'm the only one who worries about these things, making me feel all paranoid and OCD.

Hand dryers blow the urine of previous visitors onto your hands. And you might as well not wash your hands if you are going to touch a bathroom exit door handle after. :hungover:

Ninety percent of men have the hygienic standards of a four year old.

url-1.jpeg

Travel Junkie

I'm guessing Disney a) realizes that TL will always be a thematic challenge so why not go all SW all day and b) this is likely the only property that can hurt Potter going in up the road. While us fanbois and girls likely won't love these changes, I'm guessing the general public will eat this up the way they ate up Cars Land.

I believe you will be correct. The hardcore fanbase will not like the thematic choice while John Q Public loves it.

Put me in column A but I also realize that the original vision of what Tommorowland should be is not coming back in today's Disney. If these plans turn out to be true, it it will be an upgrade from what sits there now.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Does that really make sense though? I don't remember any structures or locations in the film that looked like the suit in building form. Tony's HQ was modern, Stark Expo was modern, I don't believe either borrowed from his suit. Doesn't look like anything from the films.

Slap some red/gold or green/purple paint on it and you are good to go!

That's what I take away from this as well. The architecture in IM is stark (haha! I kill myself sometimes) modern and sleek.... Nothing of this artwork says modern or sleek. It looks actually like a throwback to the architecture of the 60's and painted red.

If they really want to redo TL and make it look... like tomorrow... they could accomplish it with sleek and modern styles and lines. No need to get all stupid with LED lights covering every tacky inch of space, or chucking TS aliens into it (no I'm not over see the alien claw machine..thing.. seconds after stepping off the TTA in MK. I'm holding a grudge). There IS a way to incorporate SW without junking the entire exisiting land- again- modern lines- as well as IM.

It's all in the lines and colors. Which I would love to think Disney does well. As long as the bean counters don't get in the way of the creative vision of redoing the entire land, not just a small piece of it...

I'll get off the soapbox now, thx.

doctornick

Is the HKDL Iron Man going into Tommorrowland there? Or is it going into a new "land" (e.g. a Marvel centric one)? It sounds like it is going into TL, but I thought there was plans for a fully fleshed out Marvel area for HK.

Stevek

Complete aside, but wasn't DL's Astro Orbiter originally on a second story, like MK's and TDL's still are? Why was it moved? I find the location in DL to be pretty annoying since it just clutters up the walkway

Yes, for many years it was very similar to MK's set up with the rockets above, accessible by elevator, and the PM just below. Moving it, along with much of the TL redo, was a complete disaster. The entry to tomorrowland has been a mess ever since.

magicallactose

My first thought was that they're repurposing a bank building. They've certainly captured the feel, uniqueness, and excitement of going to a TD Bank which you can find on almost every corner in South Jersey. I guess theming it to a Wawa would have thrown the budget out of whack.

They have TD Banks in America? I thought it was just a Canadian thing.

Personally, i think it Iooks like a re-purposed cafeteria building from an engineering college.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Here is the thing. The theme for the HK Iron Man attraction does not matter. For the most part guests who visit do not know it is (based on concept art) a clone of Star Tours. THey are not fully aware of the immersive theming Disney is capable of executing.

I think you may underestimate HK residents actually...it's not like mainland Chinese

alphac2005

Another piece of equipment that is overpriced and underwhelming. It follows in the fine tradition of all Dyson products. If Billy Mays was still alive he'd be selling these on TV.

I can't understand how people afford (excuse me, wrong word) $400-$600 vacuum cleaners. People with money don't spend ridiculously like that for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom