Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinYee

The quandary I face, being in my exact situation, is whether to act like a reporter when Disney doesn't treat me like a reporter. I'm not invited to the press events, where I'd be delighted to be only to ask questions and learn (not be feasted), so from Disney's perspective, I'm a regular Joe Public person who ought to take the gift card.

PhotoDave219

As to tonight's social media whorefest at what once was one of my favorite restaurants in the state, I sense desperation on Disney's part in a few ways.

One, Leanne Jakubowski, who runs social media for Disney has sorta been working with her tail on the line of late. There are things Burbank has noticed and that's why they are trying to cull the herd as it grows every day. At the same time, Disney knows the cows are sorta 'mad' and wants to keep them as happy as can be while weaning them off the excess access they've been granted in the anything goes with whores department-

Two, on the subject of $50 gift cards AND guaranteed reservations slots ...Disney point blank knows that while they will come for free food and drink, and who wouldn't, that many of these people are either poor or cheap. These are the folks who go to the McD's at the crossroads and demand to speak to a manager to get 30 cents back after ordering Big Mac without cheese (yes, this is actual behavior from one that I have witnessed ...no, I won't ID the lifestyler because they are mentally ill and seeking attention anywhere they can get it). They are not coming back and ordering a $49 steak (I bet no one asked a question about the renovated menu, like the fact the signature filet has doubled in price since the place opened, or how the DDP has affected the location). Disney could have comped an entire meal for one or one and a guest, but they again want to cut down on what is given. Rest assured, though, if Lou Mongello wants to get a meal for six with wine comped, Disney will do it. Right, Tommy? Blondie? Gary?

Three, there are folks who work in social media and can't stand these whores, that's where the special entertainment comes in. Nothing like making fun of your guests who are too busy filling their fat faces to understand that the Disney PR staff (even the phonies like Blondie) don't really like them. It's all part of the job.

Couple of thoughts: The social media list is being culled. Exactly what is considered a legit media outlet is being redefined and this is clearly bothering the "free goodie bag" society.

I'm not ordering a $49 steak on property. Its not going to happen. Maybe if that steak grows legs and starts doing my laundry but JFC... No.

tink1

cal817377LARGE-600x452.jpg

Mya Space

Formerly known as Deevy See http://www.deevypacksherbags.com/

ptaylor

Premium Member
Couple of thoughts: The social media list is being culled. Exactly what is considered a legit media outlet is being redefined and this is clearly bothering the "free goodie bag" society.

I'm not ordering a $49 steak on property. Its not going to happen. Maybe if that steak grows legs and starts doing my laundry but JFC... No.
Doesn't seem to really make any difference. The usuals were all there, even those that were not on the official list.

Makes me really question the motives of Disney. Are they completely oblivious to how they are being played, are they just incompetent, or are they trying to build these people up to then own and control them to promote THE message?

And are bookings down that badly that they had the need to not only give out a free signature dinner, but then to also throw in $50 cash? Talk about paying people off. Wow.

PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219

With the DPB events (there's another one at WDW on Friday night), you have to be on the blog the moment they're announced to get in or you don't stand a chance. You also have to be local, as they're usually last second.

Or, you could be a lifestyler and get media invites.

I take issue with this. No more "First Come, First serve"

You make it random. You give people 3 days (monday-wednesday) to enter a random drawing. You use thursday to draw your random crowd. (Using a random number generator is not hard after assigning each email a number) and then on friday you notify those who got in.

Much more fair solution and will weed out all those they are trying to ween off the mouse's... errr... (Insert Farming Refrence that I cant say here)

PhotoDave219

I can't believe they would even let these slobs into that establishment dressed as they were...there should hav been a dress code...ROFL

So after I left seeing Rancid (Punk Rock/Ska) at HOB, I went back to the Contemporary to pick up my friend. Once I got to the lobby, I saw people dressed worse than my fellow concert goers.

No, I'm totally serious with this statement: I saw people leaving the Cali Grill event dressed worse than the Punk Rock show I just attended.

Nemo14

So after I left seeing Rancid (Punk Rock/Ska) at HOB, I went back to the Contemporary to pick up my friend. Once I got to the lobby, I saw people dressed worse than my fellow concert goers.

No, I'm totally serious with this statement: I saw people leaving the Cali Grill event dressed worse than the Punk Rock show I just attended.

That's really sad....really sad...

71jason

Most of those folks don't look like the types to even own a sport coat, let alone a proper suit coat. The polo shirts and short sleeve collared shirts that were ironed in Kissimmee apartments by their own wearers a few hours before this event likely pass for "upscale" dress attire for this Lifestyle Blogger demographic.

It's August. It's 2013. In Orlando. At a restaurant in the middle of a vacation resort, best-known for its view of a fireworks show. Sorry Mr. Draper, but I think polo shirts are perfectly acceptable. Also, I'm all up on your lawn, playing my music too loud.

(But seriously this is an undercurrent of classism to this discussion that is annoying at best, disingenuous at worst. Not your comment, but the idea that people who've eaten at Red Lobster or Olive Garden couldn't possible enjoy a finer meal at Cali Grill, for instance. I'm sure there's a pretty huge overlap between Darden and Disney's client bases, and I have no problem with that.)

71jason

Anyways, its my understanding that the people the actress was specifically mocking just didnt get the joke. Or they were offended because it hit a tad too close to home.

That's my question, really. How many got that they were the butt of the joke?

My hats off to the DPB team for finding a creative solution for this... Hopefully she'll be a standard at all DPB events.

Solution? They created the problem in the first place. This seems more like a passive/aggressive lashing out, the actions of a petulant child.

PhotoDave219

BTW, saw The Disney Parks Blog little video and ...well, Scarlett is looking good. I have no idea why she isn't a sake gal. ...And was it just me or did Bland Tommy come off as scruffy-looking dude who would man the office at a Thrifty Rent a car?

First... I have hot friends. ;) Second... she knows her wine (& vodka).

I keep telling you that in the real world, Tom is a very likeable nice guy who's pretty quiet.

PhotoDave219

That's my question, really. How many got that they were the butt of the joke?

Solution? They created the problem in the first place. This seems more like a passive/aggressive lashing out, the actions of a petulant child.

Well some were hip and got the joke instantly..... Only it really wasnt a joke, was it?

PhotoDave219

Doesn't seem to really make any difference. The usuals were all there, even those that were not on the official list.

Makes me really question the motives of Disney. Are they completely oblivious to how they are being played, are they just incompetent, or are they trying to build these people up to then own and control them to promote THE message?

And are bookings down that badly that they had the need to not only give out a free signature dinner, but then to also throw in $50 cash? Talk about paying people off. Wow.

Clearly Disney doesnt want to be "the bad guy" here and alienate the herd they created.

However, they're a multi-billion dollar media company. They do not need a small army of social media people that they cater to. There are a few web based outlets (Touring Plans, Mouseplanet, All Ears) that have been followed for years and have earned reputations as being fair outlets that cover the Mouse and generally should be considered media.

I'm talking about the people who created a blog with the intention of getting into things for free.... They need to go.

RunnerEd

There is a Shula's on property. THAT steak may be in the $49 range with a range of freebies thrown in: no reservations at 6 months out, no DDP, and an enforced dress code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom