Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so as some of you may know I have spent parts of the past two weeks in Orlando. Some of it was personal business, some themed entertainment related and some just kicking back and enjoying paradise in July.

In addition to experiencing UNI's new Transformers ride and Springfield area, I also checked out Antarctica at SW, spent time at three of Disney's parks as well as DD and CW.

I also spent time at Disney's Contemporary Resort and BLT, the Wilderness Lodge and Villas, Port Orleans and All Star Sports.

I did not stay at a Disney resort. I did stay at UNI's amazing Portofino Bay Resort for part of the visit.

Since I love food, I had meals at Be Our Guest, Fulton's, Portobello, and Benihana at WDW and Lombard's Landing, Pat O'Brien's and Bob Marley's Tribute to Freedom at UNI as well as drinks at quite a few others at both resorts.Because I just had a Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday, this wasn't a trip where meals were planned out far ahead. I should probably point out that every meal I had on WDW property was, in essence, free for me. ...anyway...

I spoke to many folks at all the parks, but the comments from an Imagineer, a UNI creative and a WDW exec were fascinating and I will place things out here as I feel comfortable doing. During part of my stay, I got a very close up view of some of the gizmos Disney is using (all Apple tech, silent prayer at the cult of Jobs) for NGE and even was allowed (no, I doubt Georgie will be happy when he reads this) to test the tech and see for myself just how much information will truly be at CMs fingertips. Simply put, a troubling amount.

It's late, and most of my allotted MAGICal time tonight was spent going back and forth about our awful criminal justice system, so this is largely just an introduction for what will follow this week.

But I did hint in my prior thread (you know, the one with half a million hits that no one reads!) about the driving underlying theme of my visit being transformation. That covers so many things I hope to discuss with y'all (how else will there ever be a book or a consulting contract?)

On one hand this was a very transformative trip for me, personally (watching Georgie K eat ribs will do that to a man). But transformation is also what is happening at UNI and at WDW. The entire paradigm of what an O-Town visit has been versus what it is now becoming has changed and is continuing to do so, to morph in a very Chaz Bono type way. Universal is transforming in some amazing ways while WDW is changing fundamentally, but in a drastically different way. Sea World ...well, I'm not really sure what is going on there, but at least they can add a major new attraction for summer while WDW brings out Chicken Little and Robin Hood foamheads and offers Christmas desserts in July and calls it a day.

Oh, and expansions or additions (or changes and replacements at WDW). Yeah, we may just get into that a bit too.

Can someone remind me to discuss show lighting at EPCOT, soda thievery and why self flushing toilets aren't all that too?

Thanks and I look forward to a great discussion ...

Last edited:

Captain Neo

From what @WDW1974 is suggesting it sounds like there aren't going to be any new attractions or major projects for at least another 2 years which frankly blows my mind. I was under the assumption that construction on new projects would begin this coming January!

Also, I would love to hear from Spirit if he's heard anything about what's coming to Disneyland in the next few years if anything.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This really caught my Disney-toilet-loving eye. Who cares about Figment when there's toilets to blog about and discuss? ;)

A toilet preview, overheard at Be Our Guest ''Can you believe how tiny these toilets are? Guess they wanted as much space for putting the food in you as they could find.''

I think Walt also had a quote about the importance of facilities.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ohh, Bob Marley's! I do hope you had the delicious appetizers there. I brought my cousin there to celebrate his passing the bar, and it was our fave meal of the weekend.;)

Phenomenal food, music and atmosphere ...showcases the fundamental difference between business models of the resorts. You walk up. You get seated. You order an entree that is amazing and $8.99 BEFORE your discount.

But it doesn't have MAGIC like the Be Our Guest Crapateria's, doncha know?

WDW1974

Original Poster
From what @WDW1974 is suggesting it sounds like there aren't going to be any new attractions or major projects for at least another 2 years which frankly blows my mind. I was under the assumption that construction on new projects would begin this coming January!

Also, I would love to hear from Spirit if he's heard anything about what's coming to Disneyland in the next few years if anything.

Actually, nothing major will be coming before late 2015 or 2016 at the earliest (Wishes replacement). Here's a quick tidbit. Pandora construction has been delayed not by WDI and not by Cameron, but by TDO to cover NGE cost overruns. There's some news you won't likely read elsewhere until folks start stealing it from here.

Will talk about DLR later, but they will be getting new product in both parks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, and let's all congratulate all time MAGICal leader in posts, our own all grown up @EPCOT Explorer on his very first visit to DLR!!!

Let's hope it is a trip of MAGIC and dreams. Maybe he'll even tell Andy Castro that I really like his Micechat work, the OCD pics of Starbucks drink cups aside. If he won't' I'm sure our pal @WDWFigment will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolna

I am looking forward to hear what you have to say about Portofino Bay! Those Universal hotels look so great - have been wanting to stay there for a few years, but haven't yet. However, I have to say, the theme of the other two appeals more to me (I guess being European an Italian theme is less exotic to me :)).

Did you spend time at the pool there? From the pictures I have seen, I think it must be one of the best pools in Orlando.

RememberTheMagic

Just got back from my first DLR trip(even though I live in Oregon...hmmm?). The parks are pretty amazing. Theming is out of this world and the CM's were so helpful and cheerful that the magic was overwhelming. DCA was just as good as everyone said it was(smaller than I thought it was with the exception of Paradise Pier which is almost a park among itself). There are only a few things that sustain my belief that WDW>/=DLR, with the main components being space and common menatality of guests. At DLR you are a visitor at a local park with local traditions. It is also jam-packed with rides which creates an atmosphere of hectic-ness. BUT! Overall it is very charming. DLR is more homey while WDW is more awe-inspiring

Sorry for the tangent but saw the post about @EPCOT Explorer and had to comment

SirLink

Oh, and let's all congratulate all time MAGICal leader in posts, our own all grown up @EPCOT Explorer on his very first visit to DLR!!!

Talking of Disneyland first trips, took mine and was in Disneyland having a pleasant time on July 4th - the best bit was talking/listening to Americans regretting incidents in their History past.

Oh yeah and Fantasyland desperately needs a paint job.

Oh yeah, and the Wolfgang Puck's @ The Venetian is cheaper than Naples at DD. Mr.Puck was better service and cheaper prices.

Jazz Kitchen was good though.

Last edited:

alissafalco

Ok, I'm looking forward to your next posts spirit. I know you said it was free but after your last review of BOG I'm surprised you decided to eat there again.
Also, if I was James Cameron I would walk at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom