Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Supreme Court has already ruled that tracking is the same thing as searching, and that if it is the government doing it tracking is an illegal search when done without due process.

Now I realize that the fourth amendment doesn't apply to private entities like Disney, but now that the equivalence of tracking and searching is established in law, I think we should substitute the word "searching" for "tracking" in all posts, both pro and con, and see how everyone feels about it then.

Nice - but ignores the important distinction in the actual case... the idea of being tracked WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT. Which of course is apples and oranges compared to the discussions here.

Bcakd

Yeah.... making a simple comment stating a thread should be in another thread is bullying, sure.
Excuse me, but how is this even any of your business? I was having a perfectly lovely conversations with people about a question I asked. He stuck in his two cents and everybody stops posting. Even the lady a while ago said she wanted to "like" a post but she was afraid of the repercussions. If that isn't being a bully, then please tell me what is. Bullying is trying to intimidate someone either by your actions or words. If people are feeling that they can't comment honest and openly on this site without someone being a smarta*s to them, then what pupose does this site serve?

mgf

The Congressman's letter could be boiled down to 'I heard in the paper... and the paper said this.. and the paper said that..' - it referenced nothing but the Times article and referenced it countless times. I bet that is what they took offense too.. that the Congressman purely on a newspaper article felt it was necessary and appropriate to grandstand and send a letter asking for details... that Disney claims were right out in the open to start.. and if you just talked to us, we would have happily helped you with.

I think using the Times as his 'source' of all his knowledge.. is what ed Iger off.

Again, Tom Staggs was quoted extensively in the article - AKA Disney endorsed the article as factual. He called them on something the company released. This was not based on conjecture.

Bcakd

I'm confused. I see where SirLink said "Shouldn't this be in General Discussion ...", while you are complaining about a different user, WDW1974, attacking you. I don't get it???
I was not speaking of WDW1974, and I do apologize to him. I guess I messed up when posting back to him. SirLink is the one who called attention to my HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake of asking a question.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, Tom Staggs was quoted extensively in the article - AKA Disney endorsed the article as factual. He called them on something the company released. This was not based on conjecture.

True - but the Times wasn't covering what the Rep wanted to know. If the NY Times can be bothered to ask Disney directly in sourcing their article.. why couldn't the Congressman ask Disney or look for answers before having to make a public ordeal of trying to ask the questions?

alphac2005

What's going on here? This thread is devolving before our eyes. Ugh. Look, conspiracy theorists aside about corporate plants on the boards, the truth is that the NextGen+ story has been all over the place and it seems pretty logical that a whole bunch of new eyes have descended upon WDWMagic to find out more about it and to take part in the discussion at hand. Can't we do better around here? Blasting new members with paranoia that they're all plants is a bit nuts.

alphac2005

True - but the Times wasn't covering what the Rep wanted to know. If the NY Times can be bothered to ask Disney directly in sourcing their article.. why couldn't the Congressman ask Disney or look for answers before having to make a public ordeal of trying to ask the questions?

ROFL. If he did so, he would wouldn't be a member of Congress. There seems to be no finer grandstanding than in that crew. Plus, the Congressman does want have his name in the news since there is a primary in a Senate seat that is in the process of being vacant very, very shortly.

invader

Excuse me, but how is this even any of your business? I was having a perfectly lovely conversations with people about a question I asked. He stuck in his two cents and everybody stops posting. Even the lady a while ago said she wanted to "like" a post but she was afraid of the repercussions. If that isn't being a bully, then please tell me what is. Bullying is trying to intimidate someone either by your actions or words. If people are feeling that they can't comment honest and openly on this site without someone being a smarta*s to them, then what pupose does this site serve?

It does involve me as I was one the people that had originally posted on your thread. Someone being afraid to like a post is a bit much, what are the afraid of...? Quite silly in my opinion. If someone can't comment back to an opinion, even if some might interpret it as bullying even though it might not be intended to be, then what truly is the point of the forum? It's for discussion, and that's all that is.

Bcakd

Did everyone on these boards forget to take their pixie dust? What has gotten into everyone... I can't believe the amount of negative (and personal) back and forth here. Please head Steve's ( @wdwmagic ) advice and stop.
I am sorry. Yesterday was the first day I had been on this site in quite awhile. I didn't post my question in the correct thread or section, and someone made it clear I was in the wrong section. And now since then, no one will post in my "misplaced" thread. One poster even said, "I would like this post but I'm afraid of repercussions"! This is ridiculus, I know. I came to this site to get others opinions and ideas to make the most out of our vacation this year. I didn't mean to start a war. I am sorry to have shown this side of myself to you guys. I swear I'm really a nice person and I do regret even mentioning this. If I wanted a fight, I would go to a Yahoo! disscussion board. I just love Disney World. I found out I was going to be a big sister there, I got engaged there, I celebrated my 30th birthday there, I spent my grandfathers last vacation with him there, I have had a blasts with my girlfriends there, I spent the weekend with my best friend as we celebrated his coming out there, and now I go with my husband and our daughter there. Disney has been good to me through out my life, and I just wanted to celebrate that. I am sorry that it got ugly, as that was not my intention at all. And thank you, I have now sprinkled my pixie dust and will leave this matter be. Have you ever thought about being a counseler? That was exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks!

Bcakd

It does involve me as I was one the people that had originally posted on your thread. Someone being afraid to like a post is a bit much, what are the afraid of...? Quite silly in my opinion. If someone can't comment back to an opinion, even if some might interpret it as bullying even though it might not be intended to be, then what truly is the point of the forum? It's for discussion, and that's all that is.
I am over it, and over you! Have a Magical Day!

MattM

You are confused on what the Caucus is - he wasn't elected to it - he created it. It's a 'birds of feather' type of unit in the House to advocate for their items of interest. It's not committee and no one is elected to it, they opt to participate and associate with it.

But no congressman is elected to any committee. All committees are formed in response to some sort of interest or subject matter.

mgf

Like with a letter?

Goofyernmost

Here is the thing, the letter sent to Iger did not accuse them of wrong doing, did not assume guilt... Several simple questions were asked about NextGen, many of them being the same ones we have asked here... There was nothing disrespectful or accusatory about that... Instead of answering politely and calmly and easing everyone's mind, Iger agreed to send a letter that was rude, disrespectful, and didn't answer anything... He danced around the subject, still hasn't said how much your vacation will be affected if you opt out and didn't ease anyone's concerns over tracking or child privacy... He came off as a man losing it... Maybe he should leave now if the stress of being a CEO is getting to him...
In my opinion, you get a letter from a Congressman asking to explain your plans and you are by circumstance, thought guilty of something. The words don't always have to be printed.

Maybe what is getting to him is when you spend a lot of money to introduce something that will, hopefully, be beneficial to both the company and the customer and then have a lynching mob hanging outside your door, organizing some sort of witch hunt is very demoralizing. It isn't even in practice yet and already everyone has him drawn and quartered at best, electronically aided pedophile at worst. It wouldn't surprise me at all that it's getting to him. He should, however, be used to it in the Disney Parks Organization. How many things have the done over the last 10 years that people didn't immediately find fault with. It is no small wonder that they no longer have the courage to build new stuff or take chances.

I don't fault either one really and we all know that eventually Iger is going to have to explain stuff but as I said before, it wouldn't surprise me if they really don't know what type of backlash that they will experience when it is put in active operation. They know what it is supposed to do, but until it's there, the big picture will not show itself.

lazyboy97o

I am sorry. Yesterday was the first day I had been on this site in quite awhile. I didn't post my question in the correct thread or section, and someone made it clear I was in the wrong section. And now since then, no one will post in my "misplaced" thread.
Threads die. It happens. One little comment regarding the forum structure is not the likely culprit for the death of your thread, which will likely be moved in time. Far more likely is that the people have something to say have said it.

MattM

Because I posted a thread about resort restaurants and asking for suggestions from others, and this person blasts me for not posting in the correct area. Seriously????? I wasn't bothering a soul and I get reprimanded like a child because this person feels like he/she is the forum God! I didn't realize this was such a hateful site. Maybe the best thing for you to do, is to go look in a mirror and ask "Why am I acting like such a "! Sounds like you older members are the ones wanting to "start problems". I mean this is a site about an amusement park and company. RELAX!!! You aren't balancing the budget or performing life saving proceedures. Lighten UP!!!! Please forgive those of us who mistakenly though we were just asking a question. Geeeeezzz!

You have to remember, the internet is the only forum where some people feel they have any source of authority in their life. The internet is where people hide behind screens and talk to people in a way where they would never do so face to face.

Don't let it bother you. The issue is with the other person, and usually says a lot more about them than you.

Smile! :)

(the above is not pointed at any one in particular, for those wondering)

tink1

I'm guessing your thread was moved to the correct forum by the moderators. No one bullied anyone about your thread. In fact, there are still people posting in it, if you haven't looked. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/best-place-to-eat-in-a-resort-or-downtown-disney.859150/ I'm just not sure what the problem is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom