Spirited Highlights of a MAGICAL visit!!!

WDWFigment

...Hale Koa on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu...

Are you an armed services member or retiree? I remember staying at the Hale Koa with my parents when I was in middle school. Beautiful resort. We actually first heard about it when we were staying at Shades of Green, coincidentally.

CBOMB

Great report as always '74. I bet it even brought a smile to Zenia Mucha's face. I promise to never make fun of your love of Sticky Buns if you quit jammin' my Dole Whips.

There is a time, and place for Magic as well as a time, and place for criticism.

Tinkyroo

... and I can't wait to return in October (after hitting DLP and DL in September!)

Do you mind me asking........How are you able to travel so much? Get a bunch of vacation time? Or are you a professional Disney explorer? :)

1DisneyDad

We arrived at WL around 2am on one of our trips. My family was ready for bed but I had to stay in the lobby for a few minutes. You could hear the music (what a great loop) and the x-mas tree was up. Great moment!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nice observations!

and nice to see some busch stuff in there too :lookaroun

Thanks!

And lots of Busch stuff. I loved SW and Aquatica (as you know) and one of my biggest disappointments of the trip was not making it to BGT (as you'll read when I put my negative thread up!)

But, frankly, I enjoy BEC's parks more than Universal's in O-Town right now. I'm sure that'll change with WWoHP, but now it's all Disney and Busch for me!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, 74, I can. I really can - feel the love tonight, that is.

I have this uncontrollable urge to use an obnoxious number of smilies.

:sohappy::xmas::king::):kiss::cool::animwink::D

I love WDW ... what can I say?

I just am not in love with management ... and I am not blinded by pixie dust and marketing.

But I can't wait to return ... well, I can ... 'cause I get to go to DLP and DL first!:)

And you could have saved the smileys for my negative thread (whenever I actually get around to posting it!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would never thought that I would say thins but HoP is one of the things that I am looking forward to the most on my upcoming September trip. Hopefully by then the people booing and hissing will have gotten it out of their system by them.

Hey, it was one of my 'musts' on the trip ... and to be fair I saw the show three times and only on the first showing (July 3rd) was it that bad.

Second time, there was just a smattering of cheers for the last dude and then for the current one. The last time, everyone behaved. So, it does all depend on what type of audience you get stuck with.

I just find it all boorish. And, believe me, I couldn't/can't stand the last guy ... but I never booed and never would. And I applaud at the end of the show no matter what.

I really need to make t back to Sea World. I have not been in years and my 8 year old is begging to go back. Do you by chance remember the height limit on Manta? The aforementioned 8 year old is a thrill ride junkie and I do not think that I could take the puppy dog eyes if she does not measure up.

You should definitely go. SW is wonderful ... in some ways (like cleanliness) they are better than Disney. And Manta is just incredible (both ride and exhibits). I saw some small kids on it, but didn't pay attention to the height issue. I'll shoot an email to a friend who works there if someone hasn't already answered you. My gut says unless she is tiny, she'd have no problem.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So many positives, and your thread is quickly getting buried away. You must be psychic.

Yeah. Gee, who could have seen that coming?:rolleyes:
But so long as people respond, I'll do likewise ... I won't force it to go on.

Don't worry; as soon as you post your lowlights, you'll be the most popular person on the boards again.

I know. I know. The thing is, I think I may struggle to come up with nearly as many negatives (which speaks to how great WDW still is and how I am not nearly the basher that some here would love to paint me as so as to not actually acknowledge my points!)

A few comments:

11> I agree. BTMRR still gets my vote, especially when all the effects are working; and they have been!

Yeah. I didn't see anything major not working. I wanna say I rode a good 6-7 times over three nights. Never during the day, but it's always better at night.

12> Yes, you do need to see Prince Caspian. It was a very well made movie that D--k Cook foolishly released against well-known tentpole, and instead of admitting their mistake and shuffling future releases, Iger and Cook let go of the franchise. I hope this decision comes back to haunt them.

I was surprised how much I liked the original, so it wasn't an issue of not wanting to see the second. I just get busy and often don't get to the theater as often as I'd like. But it certainly looks great and I will be renting it soon ... and seeing my first HP film that isn't either on a flight or on TV!

25> I haven't been there yet; I'll have to check it out.

Go! You won't be sorry!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit....I am so disappointed in you. I thought you were the fearless leader of darkness and doom. Leader of the Disney Haters...and now that!? I'm very upset.
:lol::lookaroun

Sorry to disappoint. But better to learn at a young age that I really do love the place ... it makes my biting criticism a whole lot easier to digest and understand.

Honestly, wonderful TR! Critical, but still mindful that WDW is still a great place and still very dear to you, and many others too. Thanks for posting.:wave:

Absolutely. And hope you can get up there soon yourself!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for the report. It is kind of funny but the little things jump out at me the most, like the sticky buns on Main Street.:slurp:

Those are the things you tend to notice when you're such a frequent visitor. I have no idea how long they'll last, but right now they are the best snack deal at MK by a mile (as you'll see in my negative thread, they have cut the size of soft-serve as well as Dole Whip whenever they last raised the prices, so it once again seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing ... in other words, if you look for a deal even at Disney, you can find one!)

I would also agree about the WL and BW. I would throw in the Poly and the GF as well. I love hanging out in the lounge at the GF late at night. This is probably my favorite part about the deluxe resorts. The rooms are nice but it is the atmosphere of the grounds and the lobby that really make it worthwhile for me.

I normally make resort jaunts a big part of my trips (whether I am on site or off ...) but this time I really didn't spend much time at all. WL and BW were the only ones I spent significant time in. Dined and monorailed from both Poly and GF ... and walked in/spent time at BC/YC and Swan ... oh, and got to spend time at DAK DVC when dining at Sanaa, but not nearly enough.

They certainly are part of the WDW experience to me ... as much as the parks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for posting so many positives about your recent trip. I too, have to admit I am pleasantly surprised to hear these from you. Don't misunderstand me, I tend to agree with most of your opinions about WDW management and the sad state of the parks.

I would like to hear which WDW restaurants you visited and more about your experiences with each ,if you have the time.

Thanks and I'm glad you had such a magical trip!

I dined at Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, Captain's Grille, Sanaa, Raglan Road, Portobello, and Fulton's as far as full serve on property. They were all wonderful, although price points at the first two are getting too high (when you see all these 7-year-olds with $28 steaks, you understand the whole deal behind the DDP)

I strongly would advise anyone visiting WDW to dine at one of Levy's locations at DD (they run Portobello, Fulton's and Wolfgang Puck). You never really need a reservation and at lunch their prices won't set you back more than a QS meal at a park (less if you get discounts ... I know for example that Fulton's gives 20% to APers and 30% to DVCers at lunch ... they also have both the best burger and chicken sandwich at WDW).

Captain's Grille shares a kitchen with Yachtsman Steakhouse (hint, hint).

Sanaa is a gem in Disney dining. The food, service and ambience are all wonderful. Prices aren't absurd yet (only two entrees over $20 for dinner). Views of animals can't be beat. Selections are a bit beyond ordinary, yet shouldn't scare anyone with simple tastes. And if you have a CM pal, they are offering 40% off lunch and 20% off dinner thru Oct. 9th (also available at the Wave, Olivia's, Trail's End ):animwink:.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Make that the Poly lobby for me. Reminds me of the lobby at the Hale Koa on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu. Airy, waterfalls, beautiful tropical smells, and lush foliage. Not sure if Poly has a Banyan tree, but still, Poly does it right with just enough tikis.

I love the Poly too. Unlike some WDW resorts, I've only stayed there once and it was pre-renovations, so I'd love to stay there again.

And I did spend time on the beach there on the 4th seeing the fireworks for the second night in a row, before heading to EPCOT (never saw so many people there in my life ... at Poly, that is).

Now, you're making me long for Hawaii ... one of my favorite (until 2011) non-Disney locales. Haven't been there in three years now and really want to get back. I just love the islands ...

Great trip overservations. I look forward to riding Manta in December as well as Rip Ride Rockit at Universal. And I can attest, Kraken is a great ride. My last trip, a solo one, went on Kraken 10-11 times in about an hour during a break in Tropical Storm Fay's constant rain to take in the fun of Kraken - front seats, back seats, anywhere they needed a single rider.

Have to say Orlando has a great collection of rollercoasters next to Cedar Point and Kings Island, which are an hour or two away from me.

I have only done front on Kraken maybe 3-4 times before (and it's been years) so that was definitely a highlight.

I don't know why, maybe it's all the delays or the placement, but I am not as psyched for Uni's new coaster as I was for Manta. I won't get an AP or one-day ticket to ride, but likely will during Halloween Horror Nights this fall.

But the coaster quotient has been going way up in the last decade. There was a time not that long ago when Space Mountain was as 'thrilling' as it got ... glad that's no longer the case.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Great report as always '74. I bet it even brought a smile to Zenia Mucha's face.

I think her face might crack if she had to smile.

I promise to never make fun of your love of Sticky Buns if you quit jammin' my Dole Whips.

I like Dole Whips. I just think they're better on Oahu. And I am really pi$$ed at Disney for cutting the portion by at least a third while raising prices. So, no, I didn't have one this time.

There is a time, and place for Magic as well as a time, and place for criticism.

Absolutely. And I put all the magical stuff first ... and sadly ... I can hear echos in here!

WDW1974

Original Poster
... and I can't wait to return in October (after hitting DLP and DL in September!)

Do you mind me asking........How are you able to travel so much? Get a bunch of vacation time? Or are you a professional Disney explorer? :)

Everything in life is a trade-off ... and one thing my career has afforded me is the ability to travel (although this year I haven't left the state of Florida, which is incredible).

But travel is a passion ... and Disney parks are too. Having friends in Orlando and living three hours away always means I can go ... and until 2 1/2 years ago, I had a second residence in Beverly Hills (about 40 minutes north of DL when there's no traffic ... 2-3 hours in bad times!), so DL was a local hangout. Now ... when I am in LA on business (as I will be in September) I set aside a few days for DL.

I think people should travel as much as they can ... both theme park-wise and in general.

Once it gets under your skin, you always crave it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom