Spirit of Aloha Opinions?

menamechris

Original Poster
Has anyone done Spirit of Aloha recently? We have been debating whether to do this one or not. The reviews seem to be VERY mixed regarding the show. Keep in mind, we don't have children. :) Not that we are looking for a sophisticated dinner show, but just not TOO uncomfortably silly. With that in mind, we LOVE Hoop-dee-doo, and I was a little amazed that this was more expensive... Any feedback would be awesome! :wave:

mickeysshoes

With no kids I would say go for it. It does not really compare to the HDDR. Not as much interaction with the guests...some but not as much. THe food is just SO-SO if your picky eaters you might not like it.

njDizFan

This is a must do for my family every trip. Yes the storyline is a little hokey and the food is just average, but we love the dancers and always have lots of fun. Unlimited libation is a definate plus.

I did notice most people prefer the HDDR but my preferance is definately SoA.

wdwfan100

I would recommend the SoA luau very much. Especially if you have not done it yet. I agree that the storyline is not the best. It is still entertaining. The music and dance are quite good. While we don't do this show every visit. We do go at least once every other year.

captainkidd

Mediocre food.

The story is awful and embarrassingly acted. The 2nd half of the show, after the meal, is a bit better. If you want to go to a real luau, do the one at Royal Pacific or Sea World (if they still have it.)

fbp

We (adult couple) loved Spirit of Aloha.

The food is all right. We're vegetarians so we had a veggie stir fry made. The animal options looked fine.

The atmosphere is amazing!

Free drinks are fun.

The show is split into three acts. The first is decent. The second is for young children. The third is excellent! Depending upon how many of those free drinks you accepted you might even find yourself on stage in the third act :)

You should do it.

NYwdwfan

The story is awful and embarrassingly acted. The 2nd half of the show, after the meal, is a bit better. If you want to go to a real luau, do the one at Royal Pacific or Sea World (if they still have it.)

Agreed. It's not an actual Luau - it's dinner theater with some Luau-style entertainment sprinkled in. I didn't mind the food but the story is really painful. To each his own, however, so you may (like others around here) enjoy it. But you did ask for opinions...so I felt the need to let you know mine!

Penny Lane

My family of five (no children) went in 2007 to see it for the first time since it had become SoA. We sat in for the first 20 minutes or so and decided to leave because the story was terrible and the acting difficult to watch, and the food wasn't appetizing enough to want to stay. To each his own though. We've never been to HDDR so perhaps we would prefer that...

nolatron

We last saw the show back in 2003 I think. As most have stated, the storyline is kinda silly with some bad acting. The fire dancing stuff is neat, but the rest isn't all the exciting. Sitting through the story/show once was enough for us really.

Food was good though from what I remember (back then).

These days, we'd rather just go to Ohana's.

John

OK, I agee this isnt a broadway show but it is good fun, The food isnt terrible. The wait staff is excellent. Its a nice change from the parks. I have recommended this show to all my clients and never had a bad review.

Have a glass of wine and enjoy. BTW, HDDR story line is as hookey as you can get. Hence the name Hoop Dee Do...There really isnt much difference. If I had to choose between the two I would go with SoA.
The show takes place in a very nice setting, free libation, fire dancing and cute girls in grass skirts....whats there not to like?

GeoDonJac34

I tend to agree with others here. The story is bad . The acting is bad. The food is just average. I can't see ever going again.

Nacho Libre

My fanily really enjoy it. It's OK but definately not my favorite. The story is a little tired in my opinion but still enjoyable- the real detraction is the food. Again, it's still fun but if you ask me if I want to see fantasmic or SOA ....I'm goin' to fantasmic. I'd prefer another ride on the jungle cruise or POTC.

Again, we go every trip cause the fam digs it.

trickortreater

My group of 6 adults went in 2008. They food was pretty good (not the best in Disney, but not completely awful) and the show was VERY cheesy... but we still had fun. I think anything can be fun if you go into it with the right attitude (and know ahead of time what you're getting yourself into!). If you do decide to go, embrace the fact that it's going to be hokey, have a drink (if you drink) and just sit back, relax and if nothing else enjoy the atmosphere (and eye candy:ROFLOL:).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom