Spending Money (Food, Snacks and tchotchkes)

KetoDisneyWorld

Original Poster
Leaving from Jacksonville on Wednesday to spend seven days at Disney World. It's just me (mom) and my 16 year old (birthday girl) daughter. We can hardly contain our excitement, rainy weather and all. Our room is paid for and we decided to do the annual pass holder route, since we are just a few hours away. We aren't doing the dining plan, but have a few dinner/lunch reservations (Via Napoli, Nine Dragons, 50's Prime Time, Yak Yeti). I would like to get my daughter a few souvenirs (T-shirt, candy from Epcot, trinket or two), and I am excited about food and drink. We are doing this on a budget (as I am sure most are), and I am hoping that $150.00 for both will be enough. Fingers crossed that I am not being naive. Oh, and we won't be bringing our own snacks.

So, my question is about spending cash per day, and if anyone has a few Disney secrets for annual pass holders that would be great too. Thanks so much in advance!

CaptainAmerica

$150 per day, so $1,000 for the week? That should cut it but you won't be buying loads of souvenirs.

Tips to save money based on what you said: Nine Dragons is lousy and I would also recommend skipping Yak and Yeti. Animal Kingdom has some of the top quick service locations on property so it's a decent opportunity to save a few dollars. If by "food and drink" you're including alcohol, that adds up very quickly.

Dreaming of Disney World

We just went for a week with 2 adults, a 3 year old, and a 1 year old. We spent money on a few moderate table service meals, a few snacks (we brought most of our snacks), and mostly did quick service meals. We each got a small souveneir. We were on a budget, too, and we spent about $1000-$1100. One way we saved money was buying cheap breakfasts at the cafe at our hotel instead of the cafeteria (for example, I'd get a bagel and cream cheese and a banana for breakfast instead of a quick service meal). On the last day of our trip I had to break out our credit card since we ran out of money, so I would suggest bringing one as a backup if you have one.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

We just went for a week with 2 adults, a 3 year old, and a 1 year old. We spent money on a few moderate table service meals, a few snacks (we brought most of our snacks), and mostly did quick service meals. We each got a small souveneir. We were on a budget, too, and we spent about $1000. On the last day of our trip I had to break out our credit card since we ran out of money, so I would suggest bringing one as a backup if you have one.
That sounds a lot like us. Same ages, similar dining habits (we buy snacks but drink mostly water). We bring $1,500 and that always covers our 8 nights plus airport food and parking.

Weather_Lady

For three, I'd budget $45 per CS meal (entree + drink or dessert), $75-$100 per TS meal (varies depending on entree choices, beverages, and whether you want an appetizer or dessert), and $15/day for snacks (1 per person) -- that's $135-160/day if you tend to have 1CS, 1 TS and 1 snack per person, per day. But of course, those costs are averages, and they're flexible -- simply ordering water instead of fountain beverages will save you at least $10 per meal, but on the other hand, ordering appetizers and desserts at a TS can nearly double your meal cost.

If you also want souvenirs, they can be very expensive (in a world where individual pencils sell for $7.50 or more, a simple T-shirt starts at about $30 minimum), and the cost there can vary significantly.

dreamfinder

Check out the prices online. You can find menus here -> http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining.htm or on the official website. You can find souvenirs on either shopdisney.com or the Shop Disney Parks app if you have an iOS device.

As @Weather_Lady said, there are things you can do to help cut down costs while dining. Ordering water or just sharing a single drink, ordering just the entree and not the fries/side dish (they won't put this option on the menu, but will do it if you ask), etc. And some people will suggest buying souvenirs and such beforehand and taking them with you. Glow sticks and stickers from the dollar store, etc.

AP holders do have some perks/benefits. You can get a discount on most merchandise and some dining. Read the info here -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom