Speculation about HKDL 2nd Gate

WDWdream97

Original Poster
In his various threads, @WDW1974 has mentioned that a 2nd gate has been fast-tracked for HKDL. Although not much information has been leaked as the project is most likely a few years away from starting, is it ok speculate that HKDL's 2nd gate will be a variant on existing Disney park? If it will be a variant based on an existing park, might the construction of the Disney Explorers Lodge seem to indicate that the 2nd gate will be a variant on WDW's Animal Kingdom? While the Explorers Lodge does have some other influences to it, the concept art looks very similar to DAK's closely adjacent Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Anyone else have any information or theories about HKDL's 2nd gate?

GiveMeTheMusic

In his various threads, @WDW1974 has mentioned that a 2nd gate has been fast-tracked for HKDL. Although not much information has been leaked as the project is most likely a few years away from starting, is it ok speculate that HKDL's 2nd gate will be a variant on existing Disney park? If it will be a variant based on an existing park, might the construction of the Disney Explorers Lodge seem to indicate that the 2nd gate will be a variant on WDW's Animal Kingdom? While the Explorers Lodge does have some other influences to it, the concept art looks very similar to DAK's closely adjacent Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Anyone else have any information or theories about HKDL's 2nd gate?

Personally, I believe it will be something new instead of a retread of DAK, Epcot, DHS or TDS.

WDWdream97

Original Poster
Although I wish it would be a new concept, I still believe it will be at least 75% reductive. But if the it has to be a redone concept, I hope to god it is not another California Gurls (DHS/DCA) themed park.

orlando678-

I hope something along the lines of Universal's Islands of Adventure. The details, the rides and the way the park is formed is awesome and something I hope to see more often at Disney Parks. Also the literature theme could work perfectly with a Disney Park.

Robbiemoo

I suspect a second gate in Hong Kong will be some sort of greatest hits park - something loosly along the lines of Star Wars land, Carsland, avatar, Indy or dinosaur, a variant of tower of terror, a water ride and maybe some dark rides and marvel. That way design times can be minimised, allowing fast tracking and the park could be different enough from Shanghai to give two different regional resorts in China

WDWdream97

Original Poster
A greatest hits or mush/mash parks = an Studios/Adventure park. I would love for WDI to come up with a park them that isn't a variation DisneySea or one seen at WDW.

Stevie Amsterdam

Chances are that the park will have a unique look and feel, yet it is only naturally some attractions will be cloned. When looking at SDL concept art and the design you can see that Chinese culture and folklore are embedded in almost every aspect of the park. It is the first castle park that doesn't have a Main Street USA, but rather a Mickey Avenue. Feng shui has been applied and even the zodiac - yes, the zodiac - has been included. Which I think is great, it is fantastic to have Disneyland's all over the globe but please, do make sure each and every one has a unique vibe to it. I am confident that a 2nd gate in HK will have a similar approach to Asian, and more specific Chinese, culture.

I am however not sure if we should expect a 2nd gate soon. Disney is reaching deep in it's pockets to fund and / or upgrade WDW / TDL / SDL and even some in DLP so from a commercial point of view... I think HK will has to wait a little. In just 9 days from now it will celebrate it's 10th anniversary and since attendance figures are still rising, there is currently no need from a business point of view to start working on a second gate.

Anyone with info on the 10 year celebrations? Please share as I'm going to HK in February!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom