Spaceship Earth

the ceo at wdw

Original Poster
HOW DO THEY FIT ALL THAT SCENERY AND TRCK IN THE BALL CAN SOMENE SHOW OR DRAW A PICTURE OF THE TRACK SO I HAVE AN IDEA HOW THEY DO IT DOES THE TRACK SPIRAL? OR WHAT? LET ME KNOW THANX LEAVE A NOTE OR ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS THANX AGAIN

LATERZZZ
LA

WDWFanatic

In spaceship earth the track spirals around the sphere in an upward position. You get to the top and then begin your decent backwards at a very steep angle through the center. When you get to the top of spaceship earth you see the planet earth image on the ceiling. If you look carefully you can see the door leading to the top of the attraction. There is a cherry picker kind of device that elevates workers to the door. its usually covered with a black cloth.

Attachments

• pluto08a.gif
    pluto08a.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,011

the ceo at wdw

Original Poster
Thanx for the photo that helped Thank u everyone who posted under my thread thanx again ... would it be scary for u to be up there on top of the ball ? id be scared how tall is it?

Ryan

I had a friend that was "really good friends with Mickey and Minnie Mouse" and she was able to go on top of the Golf ball for a photo shoot. Yep! She's the one that was in the commercial. But anyways...she said that the wind is so strong on top of it that you woudln't believe it. I asked her if she was afriad that she woudl fall off and she said that it may seem like the ball is very steep, but in reality it's so BIG that the curvature on top really isn't that bad. Someone would have to make a conscious effort to jump off it. Just kind of a cool bit of trivia. I used to know how tall it was and how many triangles were on the ball, but I forgot. Do you remember Maria? :confused:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Wow - great info Ryan!

Here are some stats on SE..
http://www.wdwmagicmedia.com/info1.htm

CONSTRUCTION TIME: 2 years, 2 months - 40,800 labor hours
WEIGHT: 16 million pounds
HEIGHT: 180 feet (54.864 meters) above ground level
DIAMETER: 165 feet
CIRCUMFERENCE: 518.1 feet
CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL: Alucobond, a thermal polyethylene core bonded to aluminum
SUPPORT STRUCTURE: 3 pairs of steel legs 15 feet off ground, each sunk 100 feet into the ground
TOTAL PAVILION AREA: 109,375 Sq. Ft.
VOLUME: 2,200,000 cubic feet
EXTERIOR SURFACE AREA: 150,000 square feet
5-POINT STAR CONFIGURATIONS: 12
INDIVIDUAL TRIANGLES: 11,324
INNER SPHERE: 1450 steel triangular panels
PLANETARIUM: 150 feet in diameter
HIGHEST POINT OF RIDE: 163 feet above ground level
ANGLE OF DESCENT: 20-39 degrees

goofy

Originally posted by WDWFanatic
You get to the top and then begin your decent backwards at a very steep angle through the center.

From the construction picture it dont look like u could get dow the centre it would be way to steep and at the very bottom u go through 1 of the legs same as u do wen u go up so how do they get u from the centre to the leg?????

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Tapestry2000
my sister and I argue over this a lot, but do you go to the top of spaceship earth on the ride?

You probably come close... I don't imagine you go to within 10 feet of the top, but I'm sure you end up pretty far up there.

WDWFanatic

I'd say from the highest point the ride vehicle gets to, its about 40 or so feet to the ceiling. you really have to look hard to see the access panel out.Im not sure how steep the decening part of the ride is but when youre in there you have a hard time lifting your head foward. So its pretty steep. ryan did your friend tell you how they were taken outside?

Attachments

• pluto08a.gif
    pluto08a.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 587

woofboy111

If you look behind the control counter, as soon as you get on the ride (there will be a break in the counter), directly across from this break, they have a diagram hanging up showing the rides layout. You won't get a great look at it, but try taking a picture!

What I've figured out from that diagram is that you go around the building twice, and then go down the center.

MrPromey

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

You probably come close... I don't imagine you go to within 10 feet of the top, but I'm sure you end up pretty far up there.

Well, you can sort of see the ceiling when you are in there. Just take a look at how big that room is at the top of the ride part, that dome is the top of the inside of the building...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom