Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

RoysCabin

They don't care about fit anymore. It's about sticking an IP wherever they can and they'll figure out a story later, if they bother at all.
I think that's what kind of hit me when thinking about some of the changes over the last decade or so - we've said everything on this topic a million times before, and one of the big things that comes up is that, no, IPs were there from the get-go in Disney parks, there's nothing inherently wrong with them being there. But the big difference in the way things feel nowadays is that there's this sense that the IPs are being integrated first, the show/ride/attraction idea second.

I'm sure that's not always the case; like, I get the idea of using Ratatouille for a trackless ride, since the idea of scurrying along a floor like a rat makes some sense. But when I think of, say, Frozen Ever After, it doesn't feel like a ride that has any particular purpose to being there beyond "corporate said we need to get the IP in here", and it's not alone in creating that feeling. I contrast that with the story of something like Splash Mountain, where the flume ride idea came first, the Song of the South trappings were brought in because they happened to fit the concept well.

Cmdr_Crimson

I contrast that with the story of something like Splash Mountain, where the flume ride idea came first, the Song of the South trappings were brought in because they happened to fit the concept well.
The ride was originally Zip a Dee River Run. Then tge ride was intended to be about the Darryl Hannah/Tom Hanks film Splash because they wanted to add the mermaid into the attraction but, Tony Baxter dropped the idea.

WaluigiTime

The ride was originally Zip a Dee River Run. Then tge ride was intended to be about the Darryl Hannah/Tom Hanks film Splash because they wanted to add the mermaid into the attraction but, Tony Baxter dropped the idea.

Wasn't that more Eisner's idea and they just did what they wanted because they knew the Splash idea was bad.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Meanwhile at Imagination:
BaGE0P.gif

That's what struck me most when walking through the Moana area, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago...it's just a bunch of Journey into Imagination stuff with rocks around it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom