Spaceship Earth Evacuation 6 May 2018

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Original Poster
Spaceship Earth broke down yesterday, when we were all the way at the top looking at the picture of Earth on the ceiling. We were stopped exactly at this point:

“Attention travelers, please remain seated. Your time machine is rotating backward for your return to Earth. In preparation for your return to Earth, your time machine is now rotating backward. Please remain seated. Attention. You are now rotating backward for your return to Earth. Please remain seated, time travelers.”

We heard this same spiel about 500 times, or what seemed liked 500 times, until they finally turned the audio off. I didn't keep track of time, but I think we were stuck for about 20 to 30 minutes until Cast Members arrived at our location. It took the longest for us because we were at the top. I didn't mind and had fun looking around, but in the vehicle next to us was a mom with a baby and another small child that needed to go to the bathroom badly, so it was less fun for them. Cast Members would walk up to open a few ride vehicles and then walk those people down. I was really looking forward to walking down the way we came and passing all the animatronics on the way, but unfortunately we were led the dark way down where you normally design your future on the screen. If we had only been 3 cars back we would have been able to go the other way! 😭

Our vehicle was sideways on the track, pointed at the Earth on the ceiling, so we would have to step on the mechanics between the vehicles to get out. Fortunately there was a plank conveniently sitting against the side for this very purpose. A Cast Member put the plank next to our vehicle to step on so we could get out.

My apologies for the potato quality photos that follow. Even though the lights were on, it was still pretty dark and I had only my phone to take pictures. These first pictures are at the top below the Earth on the ceiling. There were a lot of building materials laying around under a thick layer of dust.

0100.JPG
0150.JPG
0200.JPG
0300.JPG

Here is where we started to walk down the stairs. It took about 10 minutes to walk down.

0400.JPG
0450.JPG
0549.JPG
0550.JPG

0570.JPG
0600.JPG

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Original Poster
Continued:
0710.JPG
0800.JPG
0900.JPG

1000.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG

At the exit two Cast Members were scanning people's Magic Bands for a free FastPass that appeared in our app as "Multiple Experiences". Unfortunately it was only good for one of these rides: Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination, Character Spot, Pixar Shorts, Seas with Nemo & Friends, Turtle Talk, Mission Space and Living with the Land. I didn't mind the evacuation and I actually had a lot of fun, but I thought they could have at least included Soarin' or Test Track as options.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Original Poster
I was stuck in that exact same spot in 2016...after about 2 prior stops. We missed our FP to Illuminations, and missed the entire Illuminations show.
We didn’t evacuate though, just sat for around a half hour staring at the stars, kiddo took a nap.
Fun times.

I'm sorry you missed Illuminations because of that. We also made 2 prior stops yesterday until it finally broke down for good.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yikes. SSE was having some minor issues when I was there on the 5th.

Those interior shots look pretty... Sketchy. Then again, the place is 35 years old (less so that descent portion). 😲
Turn on the lights in pretty much any dark ride and you will see the same thing.

Nearly every theme park on the planet is comprised of a very pretty skin over a very ugly collection of guts and bones.

BoarderPhreak

Turn on the lights in pretty much any dark ride and you will see the same thing.

Nearly every theme park on the planet is comprised of a very pretty skin over a very ugly collection of guts and bones.
Oh, sure. It's never pretty underneath to begin with - let alone once aged. If you've ever worked on movie sets, it's exactly the same way.

pumpkin7

Interesting. I would love to see what was behind those curtains! I've read that the old scenes are still behind there. And at the top, there used to be a space station and space men, and a girl sitting in a window, right above where the cars come out of the accent. I've read that they're sitll there but painted black. Unfortunately my eyes never adjust in time. I'd have been snapping pictures of the ceiling!
It looks hella creepy though. But I'd love to go and explore and see what else they've dumped in there. I wonder why all the building supplies are there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom