Spaceship Earth Descent.. Does anyone find it boring now?

SMRT-1Michael

Original Poster
Does anyone else find the current descent of SSE just so plain now? I've probably tried over 50 different combination of "my future" and I just don't find it engaging anymore. Something I really really miss was the descent the Earth viewing various technological advances with the audio-animatronics, computer screens, cityscapes,etc. I just found it so much more fascinating. When I descend now, I often overlook the little "activity" and observe all of the attempts Disney has made to "cover up" the old descent. I do the same with Journey into Imagination too. The platform that used to hold the city model still exists, and much of the old scenes (while AA's have been removed) are behind black curtains. Just seems like such a waste of ride space for something cheap.. a much talked-about concept with updating Epcot Center attractions.

*Disclaimer* - I am aware that modern day guests prefer "interactive" experiences. However, I just think this doesn't measure up to what WDI has done more recently.

Personally, I would LOVE to see an interactive descent, not in the time-machine, but all around the cars like once before, with screens and models, etc. incorporated with the older "Tomorrow's Child" song. Think of the possibilities!

All the best!

mergatroid

I think many would agree with you on here and there was huge debate when the new decent was unveiled. My wife actually really likes the interactive screen bit except for the time her photo had captured her yawning with her mouth open and eyes shut. I suppose I get pleasure watching her enjoy the decent and trying different options though if I were riding alone I probably wouldn't even bother with the screen. I may be in the minority here but even in the original version, the ride for me had pretty much finished as the decent began anyway. I really never thought "Wow" during the decent and just thought of it as a way of getting you down to unload as efffectively as possible So I ride Spaceship Earth for the bits leading to the decent, I wouldn't object to a return to the original but it also wouldn't excite me that much either.

AndyS2992

The first few times I rode the new descent I thought it was hilarious, loved it. After a few more times, meh not so much. The old one was much better but Disney aren't going to change it anytime soon so just enjoy it for what it is.

Tip: look as stupid for the camera as possible at the start for maximum hilarity at the end. :p

ABQ

I agree it's not super exciting, and I may be flamed for saying this about the old one, I'm thinking circa 94 or so, but as my sieve of a memory recalls it, was it not pretty much a hefty dose of the then era's version of screens and/or projections? Things people tend to denounce today? And I know I'll also take heat for this, but I was never a fan of Tomorrow's Child.

Clamman73

And I know I'll also take heat for this, but I was never a fan of Tomorrow's Child.
boooo.jpeg

Marc Gil

This topic has been discussed WAY too many times on the forums, and pretty much in any conversation regarding SSE.

But, back to the thread topic, yes, the ending does get old, and yes, the previous descent scenes were far better.

The 1994 version was probably the most spectacular. Anybody else miss the miniature SSE right before you disembarked?

aladdin2007

This topic has been discussed WAY too many times on the forums, and pretty much in any conversation regarding SSE.

But, back to the thread topic, yes, the ending does get old, and yes, the previous descent scenes were far better.

The 1994 version was probably the most spectacular. Anybody else miss the miniature SSE right before you disembarked?

I know I do, they made sure to do away with anything and everything that was uplifting, moving, eye catching, and grandly magical like only Disney could then do. What a shame....but was nice to see some new lighting updates and scene details fixed the other day, (not in the descent, except the curtains have been dewrinkled).

bethymouse

Not one of our favorite "rides". I was scared of it a bit when I was little. Too dark. Yet again, I just can't recall all the details from long ago when EPCOT was 1st built.:( Did SSE always have the burning smell?:confused:

copcarguyp71

If I had only ever ridden this itteration I may be satisfied but having ridden the previous version it is kind of like a bacon cheeseburger without the bacon or cheese to me.

disney4life2008

I enjoy the entire ride - but once we hit the space scene and decent I get a quick nap in. I am not interested in technology in the year 2050 (lol.. Sophia) :)

AmberFaith90

The first time my mom and I rode it, we thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Since I only go to Disney World once a year...and only ride SSE once per trip, I still find it to be hilarious.

Redsky89

No because I make a different stupid face with each picture taken of me on that ride so it never gets old. I'm constantly trying to outdo myself.

Tom Morrow

Yes, always have, always will, there is zero reason to be riding in a moving ride vehicle while interacting with a screen playing an interactive flash game that is essentially a post show exhibit. It doesn't interact with the ride in any way, it doesn't match the tone or message of the ride in any way, it's completely out of place, etc...

If it didn't result in a moderately funny image of your heads then I don't think anyone would really like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom