Space Mountain

Big Pooh

Original Poster
Space Mountain Paris

Hi everybody...I was watching the Travel Channel show on DL Paris again the other night, and Space Mountain there just amazes me. I like SpM at WDW a lot, even if it is a glorified wild mouse coaster, but SpM in Paris just takes the idea to the next level, with the whole Jules Verne theme and the take-off from outside of the building, it just blows the Fla. version away. I'll never ride the Paris version(I'll fly, but I don't like it, so flying over the Atlantic ocean is OUT OF THE QUESTION:eek: ), but it's fun to watch it and wish I was on it. Maybe one of these days Disney will update SpM in Fla....yeah, right:animwink:

Cheers:wave:

ToTBellHop

it's not impossible...it has been talked about quite a bit...the coaster could easily fit in our massive Space Mountain (it really is HUGE)...it's the launch that would be problematic, but with certain Tomorrowland attractions on their way out, they could make the room.

rocketman23

I don't know if I'd like the Paris version more than ours. For me, I like the freedom of lap bars and the unique trains MK has. I like it better than RnRC, which is not greatly similar, is compareable to the Paris SM. I do like the theme of the Paris version, but the format just doesn't seem appealing to me.

markymark

I have said this time and time again. The Space Mountain @ DLP is just fantastic, the launch is awesome and the whole feel of the ride is just quality, so so different from the "rickety-ness" that is WDW SM. While I agree that SM at WDW is a classic ride and many people feel it should stay that way, I personally feel that if the opportunity arises they should change it without any delay.

disneytati

I went to Paris, two years ago, and went to Disneyland. I rode Space Mountain, and it is amazing!!! Fuul of loops, and planets, and the launching is just like RnR, but I think it is even faster!!! We loved it!! Unfortunately, the park closed at 5 PM, and we couldn't ride it again... But it is the best ride in DL Paris!

Kisses from Brazil!!!:sohappy: :kiss:

Justin

OH no! R u saying that our SM is going down for SMP version? :confused: :( :( :( That better not happen. I have traveled around the globe to just ride coasters and SMF is definately one of my favorites. I almost like it better than some of the others. Is Paris's Launch faster than RNR? i actually heard that RNR's launch is 70mph depending on the weight of the train... just like they keep it secret of FoF's launch actually being 60mph when they say 54. There would be Plenty of Space in our SM but i hope they dont do it. I have rode our SM over 567times and hope they dont get rid of it, Plus we dont need another Vekoma Launch Coaster down here. I have to say though Vekoma did especially good on RnR and that is far by my favorite coaster besides Millennium Force and HypersonicXLC.
Does anyone know who manufactured our SM?.... I'm pretty sure its arrow dynamics but i dont know for sure.

stingrock23

Didn't Disney design Space Mountain? maybe not, but that's what i thought. The DLP version looks very cool and i'm sure it's a great attraction, but I guess i'm one of those nostalgic ones that doesn't want to see the current SM change. I like it the way it is. I know it's older and more "rickety", but i like it that way. I'm sure it will eventually be replaced, but i'd like to see it in it's current form for a long time.

Big Pooh

Original Poster
OH no! R u saying that our SM is going down for SMP version? That better not happen.

No Justin, I did'nt say SM was going down. I said I liked SMP and it would be cool if SM at WDW were like it. I like the Jules Verne theme and the ride launch. I don't expect it to happen, but I wish they would do it.

Cheers:wave:

Justin

Oh ok. :rolleyes: Man u scared me for a while i thought they were. I have heard some rumours about SM and something is going on with it, But i think it is a very good ride, Ad some more drops and bunny hills and stuff and it would be a bit cooler, The old Lap Bar system was great cause u got pops of airtime in some spots. Now They have the Lock Bar System type and the airtime is run down. Im still trying to find out who made that, I think it was Arrow... Can anyone help me with that?:lol: :lol: :lol:

rocketman23

I think Arrow started to help with the design, but didn't actually go much further than initial designs. It was originally planned to have 4 tracks in the mountain and would go outside the building at times.

Justin

Oh really? Thats cool, i think arrow did a great job so far... I heard Ron Toomer or however u spell it helped Walter Elias Disney dezine that, Some parts of the ride u can actually tell the turns r Ron Toomer. Where did u get the info about SM and arrow?:lol: :rolleyes:

WDWspider

Originally posted by rocketman23
I think Arrow started to help with the design, but didn't actually go much further than initial designs. It was originally planned to have 4 tracks in the mountain and would go outside the building at times.

Has there ever been a ride that is almost the same as original ride conception? If not, what did the original Haunted House have that isn't there, how about PoTC, AE, or Splash Mountain. Where can you find out stuff like that if you weren't closely involved from the beginning?

Justin

U know what? I think Disney started with those concepts :D Disneyland had the first Haunted Mansion, and there SM is allitle different than ours, but after that we went uphill. Matterhorn gave us the idea for SM cause it was the first steel coaster :hammer: If Disney continues to run like we are Sad to Say Universal will just continue to get more advanced in this area..
we made RnR... They made Hulk
we made SM... They made Jurrasic Park
we made ST... They made Back to the Future and Spiderman

Hate to say this but if Disney doesn't get a nice big thrill park and copyright their rides. Universal will just continue to crush down Disney in that area. :(

DCA Fan

DL and WDW versions I believe both were made by Arrow Dynamics. The Paris version was made by Vekoma.

Just a little info:
The ride starts by launching you up the side of the mountain, where a large spaghetti bowl of a roller coaster is inside, including 2 inversions.

Rumors are that DL's SM will be replaced w/ this for the 50th anniversery.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DCA Fan
DL and WDW versions I believe both were made by Arrow Dynamics. The Paris version was made by Vekoma.

Just a little info:
The ride starts by launching you up the side of the mountain, where a large spaghetti bowl of a roller coaster is inside, including 2 inversions.

Rumors are that DL's SM will be replaced w/ this for the 50th anniversery.

Isn't the 50th anniversary less than 2 years away?

ToTBellHop

Disney is not aiming for the greatest thrills of any park. Case in point, have you been on Jurassic Park? Splash Mountain is far superior. Disney themes all of its attractions better than Universal and, consequently, Universal has not eaten into disney's profits.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has a maximum speed of 57 mph. This speed does not vary as the LIMs make it so that the trains never exceed the given maximum speed. And, since the launch is horizontal, weight does not aid in the acceleration anyway.

Justin

oh no, I will hollar at Disney so bad for that! :(
Thats really sad about SM, thats like the only kind in the world like that, If they do that i will be really sad, When is the 50th anniversary for Disney?

Disney's Made me mad about SM now.... :fork:

Justin

Well ok DogsRule... Im just tellling what i have heard of suggested, My uncle works at Disney and says the ride Does reach speeds up to 60-65mph. U will get a different answer everywhere u go. I just go by the brochure, that says 60mph in 2.8seconds, Yes i have rode Jurrasic Park it is pretty unique and i have to agree, Disney does better in theming :lol: :lol: :lol:

But hate to say Universal does throw pretty good competetion at Disney. :hammer:

Disney might not be aiming for thrills but we never know how its going to go. There still doing a good job either way, They do need to do something though, i have been to Disney my whole life & im kind of tired of those little dumbo rides and Pirates of the Carribean etc.

Its been known to bring families together with lots of memories, Universal is trying to smash Disney there but they cant. :) :lol:

Luau Cove

Though I think many rides have better versions in the other Disney parks around the world, including Cali. , I think they shouldn't mix concepts, except the ride is really far superior and should be immediately changed, but then I think each park has it's own "way" , it's own version should be kept the way it was constructed first. If not, this would start being too redundant, and people who are able to travel, for example, to Europe would know everything about DLP and won't be so interested in riding new attractions.

-->LUAUY

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom