Space Mountain vs Splash Mountain

Better ride?

• Total voters

Californian Elitist

I'm just saying, it's a but unfair to say that Space is better because Splash's AAs are faulty, when Space doesn't even have animatronics. My point is that if Space did have animatronics, they'd break too.
I didn’t say that Space is better because it doesn’t have faulty AAs. I actually never put a reason as to why I prefer it to Splash. I challenged the opinion that Space has broken lights and is therefore inferior to Splash. Splash also has broken things, so logically, no ride wins if that’s the criteria to go on.

91JLovesDisney

Alright well I see your point, and I also don't want to get into a full-fledged argument, so I suppose we can agree both are spectacular attractions :)

Californian Elitist

I’m not so sure about there being no excuse for the animatronics. The animatronics are well over 45 years old, and the constant exposure to water has to be the biggest headache in the entire world. On top of that, it’s got the most animatronics out of any ride.

The biggest misconception I see about Splash Mountain is the belief that “it just needs a good, proper 6 month refurb!” The ride needs constant maintenance and repairs. It’s by far the least cost-effective ride in any park. And that’s all without mentioning the apparent OSHA nightmare it is working on the ride.

My point is, I do think there are plenty of valid reasons why Disney just can’t keep up with maintaining the ride.
Just now seeing this response.

I understand where you're coming from. However, it's still bad show and the amount of broken things in the ride is embarrassing.

Broken things should be considered for all if they're considered for one.

PiratesMansion

Space wins, especially at Disneyland, as they have what is probably my favorite overall version of Space and my least favorite version of Splash in one park.

Things I have to weigh for Splash that I don't have to think about for Space:
1. Do I want to get wet?
2. Do I want to risk potentially getting completely drenched (spoiler: inevitably that will happen)?
3. Will the water go straight to my shoes again (spoiler: it will go straight to the shoes every time)?
3. Are they going to put me in the front row again, compounding all of the above (spoiler: yes, of course they will. Never mind that I obviously have long legs, am a larger person, and thus probably shouldn't be up there)?
4. Will I even fit in this seat/restraint configuration (Tokyo mainly, but even WDW's was uncomfortable riding with another person)?

Or I could just go on Space Mountain and never have to worry about any of those things.

Californian Elitist

Space wins, especially at Disneyland, as they have what is probably my favorite overall version of Space and my least favorite version of Splash in one park.

1. Do I want to get wet?
2. Do I want to risk potentially being not just wet completely drenched (spoiler: inevitably that will happen)?
3. Will the water go straight to my shoes again (spoiler: it will go straight to the shoes every time)?
3. Are they going to put me in the front row again, compounding all of the above (spoiler: yes, of course they will. Never mind that I obviously have long legs, am a larger person, and thus probably shouldn't be up there)?
4. Will I even fit in this seat/restraint configuration (Tokyo)?

Or I could just go on Space Mountain and never have to worry about any of those things.
I agree with this. You’re guaranteed to get soaked on Splash and most of the times, I’m not in the mood for it. The last time I went on, I was drenched before the drop.

This is actually why I prefer to ride Jurassic Park at USH. It doesn’t leave you soaked and they have different water levels and only use the highest amount for extremely hot days. And even then, I still walk off that ride with parts of my clothes a little wet but not drenched.

PiratesMansion

I agree with this. You’re guaranteed to get soaked on Splash and most of the times, I’m not in the mood for it. The last time I went on, I was drenched before the drop.

This is actually why I prefer to ride Jurassic Park at USH. It doesn’t leave you soaked and they have different water levels and only use the highest amount for extremely hot days. And even then, I still walk off that ride with parts of my clothes a little wet but not drenched.
It's almost never the big drop that really gets me drenched on Splash. Often far before that, especially the sections immediately before and after the double dip, but it's happened randomly in other places too depending on how the weight of the boat is distributed.

The different water levels on Jurassic Park is a good idea, but either it wasn't being used in 2019 after the Jurassic World conversion or they thought that crazy water levels on an October HHN evening was totally fine. Got completely drenched in that new aquarium scene that's basically the first thing you encounter on the new version, when it was pretty late into the evening and chilly. Not a fun experience (I had tried to go earlier in the day, but alas, breakdowns).

Californian Elitist

It's almost never the big drop that really gets me drenched on Splash. Often far before that, especially the sections immediately before and after the double dip, but it's happened randomly in other places too depending on how the weight of the boat is distributed.

The different water levels on Jurassic Park is a good idea, but either it wasn't being used in 2019 after the Jurassic World conversion or they thought that crazy water levels on an October HHN evening was totally fine. Got completely drenched in that new aquarium scene that's basically the first thing you encounter on the new version, when it was pretty late into the evening and chilly. Not a fun experience (I had tried to go earlier in the day, but alas, breakdowns).
That’s exactly the section where I got soaked the last time. And I’m disappointed to hear about Jurassic. I haven’t been on the new version.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

1. Do I want to get wet?
2. Do I want to risk potentially getting completely drenched (spoiler: inevitably that will happen)?
4. Will I even fit in this seat/restraint configuration (Tokyo mainly, but even WDW's was uncomfortable riding with another person)?

I agree with all this. The only thing I will add is there is an element of “fun” when going with first time riders or out-of-towners and duping then into sitting in the front row.

Done this too many times to count. Typically with family from out of town and usually will subtlety warn them beforehand “this may be a bit wetter than your log ride back home”. Makes for a great laugh. 😂

Disneyland/DCA

Jurassic Park used to be pleasant every time because if you knew how to avoid the water gags, you could. And the final splash was never that bad.

Now with Jurassic World the final drop is still not that bad, and the old gags are still avoidable, but that aquarium. They literally just turn a water cannon onto the boat, shamu style. It's practically unavoidable. I've tried from multiple seats

I always wished they had done a Christmas version of splash mountain to match the country bears, but alas they tinkered with hm and jc instead. They could still do a melee kalikimaka tiki room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom