Better ride?
Forty Years of Space Mountain at Disneyland Park | Disney Parks Blog

Splash Mountain | Rides & Attractions | Disneyland Park | Disneyland Resort

Space Mountain | Rides & Attractions | Disneyland Park
Disney - Splash Mountain - Hillbilly Alligator Band | Flickr

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Splash Mountain is a better attraction overall. Space is more thrilling. If I could only ride one of the two, it’d be Splash. The theming, music, and animatronics are just amazing.

Space is a very close second, but the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland versions are both good in different ways. The theming of the MK version is fantastic, and the Disneyland one has a fantastic soundtrack and a smooth track. Together, they may be able to beat Splash, but separated they don’t stand a chance.

DavidDL

Space space space space.

I have no logical reason. I just like it more. One of the very first attraction refurbs I followed extensively and I love the soundtracks and the nostalgia. It also had (has?) Ghost Galaxy and I like that, too.

Space fills me with stories and memories. Splash only fills my mind with angry Guest memories and my shoes with water.

D.Silentu

As I said in the Matterhorn VS. Big Thunder thread, there are no losers here. However, I may give the edge to Splash because as I have often mentioned I think that Space Mountain lost some charm in 2005. Paraphrasing myself, the refurbished Space Mountain is a trip to the outer space we've seen in the movies a hundred times. It used to be a voyage to a fantasized version of space only to be found at Disneyland.

Last edited:

mrfires

No excuse for the animatronics always being broken either, but agree to disagree.
I’m not so sure about there being no excuse for the animatronics. The animatronics are well over 45 years old, and the constant exposure to water has to be the biggest headache in the entire world. On top of that, it’s got the most animatronics out of any ride.

The biggest misconception I see about Splash Mountain is the belief that “it just needs a good, proper 6 month refurb!” The ride needs constant maintenance and repairs. It’s by far the least cost-effective ride in any park. And that’s all without mentioning the apparent OSHA nightmare it is working on the ride.

My point is, I do think there are plenty of valid reasons why Disney just can’t keep up with maintaining the ride.

Brer Oswald

I’m not so sure about there being no excuse for the animatronics. The animatronics are well over 45 years old, and the constant exposure to water has to be the biggest headache in the entire world. On top of that, it’s got the most animatronics out of any ride.

The biggest misconception I see about Splash Mountain is the belief that “it just needs a good, proper 6 month refurb!” The ride needs constant maintenance and repairs. It’s by far the least cost-effective ride in any park. And that’s all without mentioning the apparent OSHA nightmare it is working on the ride.

My point is, I do think there are plenty of valid reasons why Disney just can’t keep up with maintaining the ride.
I’m sure that’s one of the dominating motivators for a replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom