Space Mountain vs Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride

Better ride?

• Total voters

PostScott

They are both very similar as they are thrilling, indoor roller coasters in the dark with special effects. It’s absolutely necessary to compare them.
This comparison is similar to comparing Big Thunder Mountain to Expedition Everest. Yes both are outdoor coasters that traverse a mountain and have animatronics but BTM is a family coaster with small drops, three lift hills, and is themed to the west while EE is a thrilling coaster with a big drop, backwards track section, and is themed to a Himalayan Mountain.

Professortango1

This comparison is similar to comparing Big Thunder Mountain to Expedition Everest. Yes both are outdoor coasters that traverse a mountain and have animatronics but BTM is a family coaster with small drops, three lift hills, and is themed to the west while EE is a thrilling coaster with a big drop, backwards track section, and is themed to a Himalayan Mountain.
I'd still vote BTMRR higher than EE. Expedition Everest looks gorgeous, but as a coaster, its very choppy. The fact the ride has two stops throughout makes it feel incredibly short and tame once it gets going. Plus, all of the effects on BTMRR still work whereas the bird, fog, steam, and Yeti are all turned off.

PiratesMansion

I'd also give the edge to Big Thunder over EE. It's overall a more polished experience, and my body just doesn't enjoy going backwards (not to mention that the structure during the backwards portion is clearly not being maintained to its optimal level and there are lots of random light leaks that now allow you to see enough to decipher that you are travelling through unthemed nothingness). While the themed parts of EE are very good when they are in working order, there are clearly places where the budget ran out. There are no parts of Big Thunder where you leave the mountain and wander around a field. EE does this *multiple times.*

Also, they finished the entire mountain when they built Big Thunder. :)

That said, both of them suffer the problem of underwhelming finales (at least in the US. Both international BTMs have actual finales whereas the US versions, like EE, just end suddenly without fanfare). MAYBE the Yeti was a killer finale when he worked, but you move by him so quickly that he would have had to have been moving quite dramatically to have registered with every rider.

truecoat

I'd also give the edge to Big Thunder over EE. It's overall a more polished experience, and my body just doesn't enjoy going backwards (not to mention that the structure during the backwards portion is clearly not being maintained to its optimal level and there are lots of random light leaks that now allow you to see enough to decipher that you are travelling through unthemed nothingness). While the themed parts of EE are very good when they are in working order, there are clearly places where the budget ran out. There are no parts of Big Thunder where you leave the mountain and wander around a field. EE does this *multiple times.*

That said, both of them suffer the problem of underwhelming finales (at least in the US. Both international BTMs have actual finales whereas the US versions, like EE, just end suddenly without fanfare). MAYBE the Yeti was a killer finale when he worked, but you move by him so quickly that he would have had to have been moving quite dramatically to have registered with every rider.

He did move dramatically when he worked. Here's a video (go to the 3 min mark) from a passholder day in which you can see it. Remember that this video is probably from an old 8mm video tape and the figure is 25 feet tall.

PiratesMansion

He did move dramatically when he worked. Here's a video (go to the 3 min mark) from a passholder day in which you can see it. Remember that this video is probably from an old 8mm video tape and the figure is 25 feet tall.

I don't doubt it, but even in this video where he's working you pass him so fast on the ride that it's hard to register much at all what he's doing.

Undoubtedly more effective for those actually in the ride vehicle, but even so it seems over far too quickly.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
I'd still vote BTMRR higher than EE. Expedition Everest looks gorgeous, but as a coaster, its very choppy. The fact the ride has two stops throughout makes it feel incredibly short and tame once it gets going. Plus, all of the effects on BTMRR still work whereas the bird, fog, steam, and Yeti are all turned off.
Agreed, BTMRR is better than EE, to me as well.
Nah disagree, Big Thunder is a much more and highly themed experience from start to finish. Everest’s backwards section is unthemed and uncomfortable, with the broken yeti at the end of the ride too not bringing the epic finale it should have.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster

Nailed it.👆

PostScott

I think it's great my post created a small discussion but everyone here seems to think I said EE was better than BTM when I didn't. Me saying that one is better kinda destroys my claim in the beginning about how it's unfair to compare BTM to EE just like it's unfair to compare Mummy to SM. Just wanted to clarify

truecoat

I don't doubt it, but even in this video where he's working you pass him so fast on the ride that it's hard to register much at all what he's doing.

Undoubtedly more effective for those actually in the ride vehicle, but even so it seems over far too quickly.

It is but I think it’s hard to tell from an old 8mm on how impressive or not impressive a 25’ animatronic would look reaching for your train.

truecoat

8mm film? The ride opened in 2006, not 1971.

8mm video tape.

sony 8mn.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
8mm film? The ride opened in 2006, not 1971.

Home camcorders sold from the mid-80s to late-00s were of the 8mm tape format, until digital took over.

What you're thinking of is the old Super8 format that many film makers of the late 60s and early 70s used in making films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom