Space Mountain: The Movie

testtracker

The thunder mountain and AE ideas seem pretty good. But yea, there is NO way at all to make space mountain into a movie.

The best part of HM is eddie murphy.

bdhowell

I don't know about a SM movie. I really enjoyed Pirates and The Haunted Mansion.

***Personally I think that Disney should create a Spaceship Earth reality TV series, where cast members try to find out who jumped out of the attraction during an "intrusion." This would be an action-packed TV series where cast members climb hundreds of stairs and become out of breath while trying to solve this "crime" that has stopped the attraction, and interrupted the magic for the guests!! :lookaroun The cliffhanger between each episode would be the anticipation of what the SSE cordinator/managers would say to the criminals after they were caught.

It could save ABC!

As you could tell by my idea I was VERY bored!!! :lol:

1stStarIC2nite

Originally posted by bdhowell
I don't know about a SM movie. I really enjoyed Pirates and The Haunted Mansion.

***Personally I think that Disney should create a Spaceship Earth reality TV series, where cast members try to find out who jumped out of the attraction during an "intrusion." This would be an action-packed TV series where cast members climb hundreds of stairs and become out of breath while trying to solve this "crime" that has stopped the attraction, and interrupted the magic for the guests!! :lookaroun The cliffhanger between each episode would be the anticipation of what the SSE cordinator/managers would say to the criminals after they were caught.

It could save ABC!

As you could tell by my idea I was VERY bored!!! :lol:

It's not that bad of an idea, actually... but it probably wouldn't air during prime-time...

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
17 years later... news about a Space Mountain movie...
A dream for any would-be writer and an easy pitch to Disney as they latch on to anything tied to an IP. This seemed inevitable. Unlike HM where it's so well known and beloved and harder to pin a script that checks all the right boxes; Space Mountain is just a mountain in space with rockets. From a producer/writer standpoint: Space Mountain is mostly a blank slate. Perfect for plug and play producers and scriptwriters. Having the built-in IP doesn't hurt either. This seems like a slam dunk for Disney. Now they just have to steal concepts from other scripts, adapt them to fit... and presto! Insta-Franchise starter!

Bocabear

Space Mountain back story put you on a space station satellite you were taking the rocket transport back to Earth... and then encounter the wonders of technology back on earth in the home of future living... thanks to RCA (leads the way)...
If they turned it into a series or movie it might be a little like Lost In Space...
I did love the original Space Mountain theme song, and they even recorded versions minus sponsorship tagline replacing the "RCA Leads The Way"... with "Let Your Dreams...Lead the way.".. They should actually bring that back for the 50th...It was fun classic Disney to have a theme song...

_caleb

1) I LOVE that fans in this community called this SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO
2) In my opinion, attraction-originated IP being adapted for movies is MUCH better than the other way around.
3) The Pirates of the Caribbean movies were a huge success, but let's not forget the Country Bear Jamboree movie, the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion movie, and Tomorrowland (which I actually liked, but wasn't a hit).
4) I think Space Mountain (the ride) is a great candidate for a film precisely because it doesn't have a strong storyline. Better to make the story "inspired by" the ride until we see if the concept is going to be successful or not. Then they can either make the new story canon or leave it as derivative and try again in the future.
5) I have no idea why I'm posting a numbered list like this.

FigmentJedi

Space Mountain had a graphic novel a few years ago taking the form of a broader Tomorrowland tribute where Space Mountain was a time travel research station harnessing the power of a black hole to send Moonliner rockets through time and dropping off Circlevision-y camera probes into the past to fill a museum referred to as the Visionarium (The name of Timekeeper's Paris theater). Time travel shenanigans from a saboteur briefly create a "bad future" where Space Mountain takes on its Parisian appearance as a more sinister battle station. Was meant to lead into a trilogy, but poor sales and a desire to avoid confusion with Brad Bird's Tomorrowland kinda scrapped the plans.
Writer Max Landis was attached to a horror-based Space Mountain project set in a 60s retro future where Space Mountain was just cracking a means of faster then light travel, only for passengers to lose their souls after coming through the warp and transforming into monsters.

91JLovesDisney

Space Mountain back story put you on a space station satellite you were taking the rocket transport back to Earth... and then encounter the wonders of technology back on earth in the home of future living... thanks to RCA (leads the way)...
If they turned it into a series or movie it might be a little like Lost In Space...
I did love the original Space Mountain theme song, and they even recorded versions minus sponsorship tagline replacing the "RCA Leads The Way"... with "Let Your Dreams...Lead the way.".. They should actually bring that back for the 50th...It was fun classic Disney to have a theme song...
And the credit song will be Promising Tomorrows... maybe that’s what Gloria Kaye’s new version was for?!

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I'm not so worried about a lack of story in Space Mountain (the ride). There are plenty of exciting roller coasters. The thing that distinguishes SM is the setting and the ambiance. I think a Space Mountain movie has to nail that above all else. A well written script that builds the queue and departure lobby into a real setting, and nails the lift hill, will work. Obviously it needs the iconic building, as well.

A concept I think would be really cool, if it is planned for straight to D+, is a "multitrack" story. Have the movie follow two different characters, starting in the same spot and interacting at points, but each with a different POV on the events of the movie. The viewer can decide which story track they want to watch. They might even be able to make a split screen mode work, but they would have to be really clever with the sound editing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom