SPACE MOUNTAIN Sign Installed !!!!!

imagineer boy

I have mixed feelings about it. It's kinda good, but I think its way too 80s retro. I'm a little dissapointed, but the rest of the ride will be great.

ToTBellHop

Not only is it installed, but you can clearly see in person the words ROCK IT behind Space, meaning at night, it will read ROCK IT MOUNTAIN. I guess that confirms the presence of two rides depending on the time of day. I really do like the fiber optic look.

CSUFSteve

Space Mountain "experience"?

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Not only is it installed, but you can clearly see in person the words ROCK IT behind Space, meaning at night, it will read ROCK IT MOUNTAIN. I guess that confirms the presence of two rides depending on the time of day. I really do like the fiber optic look.

Hello,

Of course with Disney you never know, but this seems very impractical to me from an operations point of view. There would be significant downtime for any change to occur since Facilities would have to be involved and testing performed before control was turned back over to Cast Members. Cast Members would have be trained to be aware of operational and safety differences. Previously when Disney's done this sort of thing, it's always been for a scheduled, continuious period of time (Indiana Jones and the Tempil of Peril, Backwards! at Disneyland Paris, HMH and SWH at Disneyland), not within the same operating day.

From a purely business point of view, this expense for a nighttime Space Mountain "experience" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Space Mountain audience is largely local or AP teen audience who is probably going to ride it whether the "experience" is added or not. If the teen is local, they're not likely coming to Disneyland *just* for Space Mountain. If they're an AP'er, they'll ride it eventually regardless. For the out-of-towner, it seems unlikely Space Mountain will make or break anyone's vacation to Disneyland Resort.

I know there's been a lot of rumor about this and other attractions on the net, and like I said who knows, but it just seems hard to swallow this from an operations point of view.

netenyahoo

CSUFSteve said:
Hello,

Of course with Disney you never know, but this seems very impractical to me from an operations point of view. There would be significant downtime for any change to occur since Facilities would have to be involved and testing performed before control was turned back over to Cast Members. Cast Members would have be trained to be aware of operational and safety differences. Previously when Disney's done this sort of thing, it's always been for a scheduled, continuious period of time (Indiana Jones and the Tempil of Peril, Backwards! at Disneyland Paris, HMH and SWH at Disneyland), not within the same operating day.

From a purely business point of view, this expense for a nighttime Space Mountain "experience" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Space Mountain audience is largely local or AP teen audience who is probably going to ride it whether the "experience" is added or not. If the teen is local, they're not likely coming to Disneyland *just* for Space Mountain. If they're an AP'er, they'll ride it eventually regardless. For the out-of-towner, it seems unlikely Space Mountain will make or break anyone's vacation to Disneyland Resort.

I know there's been a lot of rumor about this and other attractions on the net, and like I said who knows, but it just seems hard to swallow this from an operations point of view.

The track will be the same for Space as it is for Rock It. the only differences I have heard are the music and some effects in the ride. There really wouldn't need to be any down time as the ride itself is the same. they may need a few minutes to switch over, but that would be it.

ToTBellHop

netenyahoo said:
The track will be the same for Space as it is for Rock It. the only differences I have heard are the music and some effects in the ride. There really wouldn't need to be any down time as the ride itself is the same. they may need a few minutes to switch over, but that would be it.
Exactly. Guests will hardly notice. They can simply gauge the wait time, and if they decide to start ROCK IT! at 6 pm at night and the wait time is 60 minutes, they can change the sign over at 5 pm so guests know what they are getting in line for, and then they could just gradually change lighting over in the queue and then flip the switch to change the ride over at 6 pm. The only wait guests will see will involve sitting through one ride cycle without guests riding (having guests riding as the lights switch over would be bad show), then they can start right back up. No need to close the queue and it would stop guest flow for maybe 3 minutes.

Figment1986

Wow.... Thats a dangerous photo... Esp since that wayyyyy beind the construction walls.... Whoever took that photo can be in trouble....

ToTBellHop

Figment1986 said:
Wow.... Thats a dangerous photo... Esp since that wayyyyy beind the construction walls.... Whoever took that photo can be in trouble....
those pics have been out for several days now. If Disney didn't want them out, they wouldn't be any longer.

CSUFSteve

Netenyahoo,

netenyahoo said:

Really?? That's the extent of the changes proposed? Seems kinda anticlimatic. I mean I never thought the track would be changed out of course, heheh, but I figured they'd use a different acceleration to produce greater forces/speed, or maybe some kind of "Backwards" gimmick ala Indy in Paris. So my post was based on that assumption.

So by "Rock It", sounds like maybe an Aerosmith-type thing where they throw some grunge-type music into the attraction or something? If the Rock It includes effects like in the new SM:M2 in Paris, that might be kind of cool. I've seen some pictures of effects and heard some more average guest comments that reverse the initial trend of "eh" opinions I was hearing.

Anyway, thanks for the clarifications!

Separately, the new queue shot does look pretty cool. I've been wary about getting my expectations too high these days, but maybe... And Matt must be confident enough in making the July 17 date because I've been seeing the 50th print ads include Space Mountain now. Good sign! (no pun intended)

Steve

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom