Space Mountain Rehab confirmed!

Enigma

Account Suspended
What did it used to be like?

The rocks on the sides of the wall used to move alittle more and the train would rock alittle rougher also (at least in disneyland's version not sure about floridas) there are shadow projections of rocks and boulders crashing and collapsing around and behind you. Its just much more immersive and feels like you made a daring escape in californias version over here your lucky if the rocks on the sides even move at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To put it on par with Disneyland's or even better than that?

I love that part in Disneyland's version and I cant believe WDW's scene broke and they never repaired it.
Erm.. broke?? I know it`s been a long time since I last rode, but are you telling me it hasn`t worked at all for a while??
On top of that, remember the boulders-on-arms that would fall from the roof too? Are they not working either?

Perhaps the flashflood of Tumbleweed will be fixed too. We can live in hope.

ROEFan88

Yeah, no matter how many times I ride BTMR (and it's one of my wife's favorites, so that's a lot), I'm still disappointed by that. It's such an anti-climax.

I agree completely - love the ride overall, but the third drop is nothing compared to the first two...

CSUFSteve

Our Space most definitely has drops, but only one is of significance. One poster mentioned 2/3 of the way through - is that far into the ride? - could be, but that's about right anyway. A lot of us noted, after riding the refurb version, that the drop is much less effective now with the smoother, less-frictional track. That's unfortunate since the smoothness of the new ride is really really nice. The new track is the same layout as the old, but by a new vendor, smoother / less friction, lighter - less need for constant re-welding every night.

I have mixed feelings if MK gets a DL-like. On the one hand, I can understand why. But, and I realize I'm in the minority, I like it that I can still ride a more classic SM at MK. I agree with those who comment on MK's queue - I like it better too. It feels more 70's but I sorta like that. Our new queue is definitely an improvement from the Saved by the Bell and Disneyland Ambassador version we had just before the rehab, but I still like MK's queue better.

As you know, ours was down for over a year during this rehab. I have no way of knowing but it just seems unlikely FL would close its SM for *years* like DL. I dunno, maybe it wouldn't take as long b/c logistical access to SM is easier at MK than DL?? Just guessing there. To me it would seem reasonable that MK would get a show/lighting package overhaul versus a physical track replacement.

Personally, I will always like DL's OG Space Mountain the best, but maybe that's a bias of what you grew up with. I do like that our SM is *definitely* darker now and there is almost no light leakage. That's awesome. Last time I rode MK's SM (July), that was a very noticeable difference from ours. And I liked our Rockin' Space Mountain promo, but only as a temporary promo to experience something different - wouldn't have wanted it permanently.

MK's queue, old-skool projection effects, and car/track design are things that make MK's unique. IMO, it'd be a shame to lose that. But I'm all for fixing the light leakage! And MK's SM, to me anyway, has ALWAYS been way rougher than Disneyland's, even before the rehab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom