Space Mountain: Now With Single Rider Line!

dweezil78

Original Poster
Haven't seen any threads about this here. So yeah, this is a thing now and I'm pretty pumped on it! Not sure if it's forever or just testing, but a very welcome addition that I hope sticks around.

TROR

I've heard it's just testing but am hoping it's still around when I visit in the Spring. People on MiceChat are all complaining and arguing (what's new?) about it and the idea of sitting next to complete strangers. While I understand the discomfort of sitting next to strangers (I was stuck in Mickey's Fun Wheel with my family and 2 strangers and it was the most awkward thing I've ever experienced and I can't fathom what valid reason they would place strangers together in an enclosed gondola 160 ft in the air but I digress), Space Mountain has barriers between the seats, unlike Big Thunder where you are forced against each other at every turn. I view this as no different than the SR on California Screamin'.

dweezil78

Original Poster
I've heard it's just testing but am hoping it's still around when I visit in the Spring. People on MiceChat are all complaining and arguing (what's new?) about it and the idea of sitting next to complete strangers. While I understand the discomfort of sitting next to strangers (I was stuck in Mickey's Fun Wheel with my family and 2 strangers and it was the most awkward thing I've ever experienced and I can't fathom what valid reason they would place strangers together in an enclosed gondola 160 ft in the air but I digress), Space Mountain has barriers between the seats, unlike Big Thunder where you are forced against each other at every turn. I view this as no different than the SR on California Screamin'.

Yeah, I have zero issue w/ SR if there are separate lap bars. Sharing one ala Big Thunder would be totally awkward. I've had to share a gondola before as well, definitely not my favorite thing but I also understand that they need to maximize the super limited capacity of that thing. Still, it's definitely weird. Would be even weirder if you were doing it solo or sharing with someone doing it solo!

mickEblu

Agreed. Mickeys Fun Wheel has to be the most awkward ride to share with strangers. With the benches facing each other which adds the pressure of starting a forced convo and/ or not staring. Of course capacity would be cut in half if they didn’t do this but the seating arrangements is a big reason I’ve only been on the fun wheel twice. Well that and the wait times. I’ve yet to do the non swinging gondola.

Rich T

I seriously can't see how anyone could *object* to this. If anyone's terrified of *gasp* sitting next to a stranger on Space Mtn., then they simply shouldn't use the option. Problem solved. It's not making the standby or Fastpass lines any longer. What's the downside? Does it tick them off to see non-stranger-phobes strolling to the front?

Cripes. My family and I use Singe Rider for RSR every time. I've met some wonderful people, never had a bad experience...and half the time my group gets the same car anyway! :) The only Single Rider line I won't take advantage of is Goofy's Sky School. Because strangers shouldn't slam dance on a ride.

(EDIT) I guess maybe they could grouse about waiting in standby or Fast Pass, sitting alone and then having a stranger placed beside them. If that's the case, though...they just shouldn't go to theme parks. Or ride buses. Or step outside their house.

Last edited:

TROR

I do single rider on Splash all the time. However, I just realized I always sit in the back. Are the other seats individual?
I've been put in the front before with both Splash and Matterhorn, but you're far more likely to be seated in the back because they fill it from front to back.

Rich T

I do single rider on Splash all the time. However, I just realized I always sit in the back. Are the other seats individual?
They are now (they used to be 2 sections for multiple single file squishing like on most other log rides). Although that back seat is designed to accommodate an adult and small child sitting side by side, I believe.

dweezil78

Original Poster
I almost always get the back on Splash when I do SR and am grateful for it because you barely get wet. But sometimes, I'm not so lucky and they stick me somewhere else...and even if I politely ask for the back, they won't give it to me because I'm doing SR and you're powerless to choose where you sit!!!

Antaundra

. My family and I use Singe Rider for RSR every time. I've met some wonderful people, never had a bad experience...and half the time my group gets the same car anyway! :) The only Single Rider line I won't take advantage of is Goofy's Sky School. Because strangers shouldn't slam dance on a ride.

Twice I've been in RSR single rider and had the car I was put in object to me being put in their car. It's super awkward. The cast member comes over and tells them they either have to let the single rider (me) in or get out of the car but the car won't move until one of those two thing happens. Both times they've let me in the car but it makes the ride very uncomfortable.

Little Green Men

Agreed. Mickeys Fun Wheel has to be the most awkward ride to share with strangers. With the benches facing each other which adds the pressure of starting a forced convo and/ or not staring. Of course capacity would be cut in half if they didn’t do this but the seating arrangements is a big reason I’ve only been on the fun wheel twice. Well that and the wait times. I’ve yet to do the non swinging gondola.
I had some very friendly people on my last trip. It wasn't awkward at all.

TROR

Twice I've been in RSR single rider and had the car I was put in object to me being put in their car. It's super awkward. The cast member comes over and tells them they either have to let the single rider (me) in or get out of the car but the car won't move until one of those two thing happens. Both times they've let me in the car but it makes the ride very uncomfortable.
Sounds like a bunch of arrogant jerks, going back to my complaint about how awful and self absorbed Disney park guests have become. It's Disneyland for crying out loud, embrace the stranger and become friends with them and invite them into your group.

mickEblu

I had some very friendly people on my last trip. It wasn't awkward at all.

One out of the two times I did as well. The other I had a group of teenagers who were standing up, rocking the gondola determined to send us flying off into the water below. I just hate forced convo and try to avoid small talk at all costs. And yet I do it all the time anyway and my wife says I’m good at it. I’m the guy in the car complaining we have to go to another party or gathering and then somehow transform into a social butterfly when we get there.

Little Green Men

One out of the two times I did as well. The other I had a group of teenagers who were standing up, rocking the gondola determined to send us flying off into the water below. I just hate forced convo and try to avoid small talk at all costs. And yet I do it all the time anyway and my wife says I’m good at it. I’m the guy in the car complaining we have to go to another party or gathering and then somehow transform into a social butterfly when we get there.
Was it the swinging?

mickEblu

Wow. Jerks. I would have waited for the next vehicle at that point.

Travel Junkie

My only super awkward single rider story was on Splash Mountain in Tokyo. I sat next to a teenage girl who was dressed up in her school uniform (Think catholic school girl look.) For those of you who have been to Japan know students often where their school uniforms when going out. Her friends were in the row in front of her and all three girls began giggling and saying who knows what in Japanese to each other with an American male sitting next to them. Add to that, the girl I was sitting next to seemed scared and was freaking out the whole ride about the impending drop (at least that is what I thought was happening.) Her friends kept appearing to try and calm her down and were talking to her the entire ride. She screamed at the top of her lungs during the drop, and then was super excited and giggling after making it through the drop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom