Space Mountain hurts me too much to ride it again until it's repaired. Anyone else feel this way?

Skibum1970

I'm all for a new coaster under the hood!

To open a can of worms: Are you saying your tolerance for the lateral Gs has decreased, or, are you saying that the lateral Gs has increased over the years?

That is an interesting question and one that I'm not qualified to answer. However, my opinion is that my tolerance has definitely decreased but the ride feels much rougher than it used to. Needing a track replacement could cause this impression. It's as if, instead of curving around corners, it jerks the coaster around the corner. Steel coasters show their age and this coaster runs year-round, pretty much. So, I think that it has probably shot through its expected track life. They retracked BTMRR a number of years ago and improved it significantly. Again, I'm 30 years older than when I first rode it and don't like being jerked around on a coaster.

MickeyLuv'r

Lighting or lack of it doesn't change anything about the ride but it does impact the riders ability to see what's coming and brace for it.

The opposite could also be true. Knowing a track could =tensing up, which could cause injuries for some folks. Sometimes the best way to avoid injuries is to relax. I try to maintain a combo of bracing my legs while relaxing almost every other part of my body as much as possible for the whole ride. (really every ride)

As I have gotten older, I've personally gotten better at this.

Second, I find for many rides- though maybe SM isn't the best example- I get desensitized the more I go on all rides. If I go to Orlando for a few days, the first big ride is the one I feel the most. After a week of spinning and dropping and bouncing, each ride phases me less and less.

When it comes to SM, I suppose you could say I know the ride pretty well, but if I'm riding in the front, I can easily see what lies ahead. Even if I'm not up front, well, I find SM very easy to know. I can't see every detail, but much of the ride layout isn't hard to see. One of the biggest rough spots is near the start of the ride. While you are at the top of the ride, there's a sudden little uptick. I suspect many folks don't expect the top of the hill to have an uptick, and if you injure yourself at the start of the ride, that would make the rest of it unpleasant.

I'm sure others will say otherwise, but I notice a (small) difference between the Alpha and the Omega sides.

I also notice a difference in my reaction if I am dehydrated, especially in the high heat of a summer afternoon. With a ride like SM, I get in the AC and it feels cool, so it is easy to forget that I'm thirsty.

I'd also say, the last seat is the roughest. I can't say I have ridden SM all in a row enough times to say which is the least rough, but the last seat is definitely rougher than the rest. There is also a significant difference in the amount of leg room in the two front seats (#1 and #4). For me, I find I'm better able to brace my feet in those two front seats, especially if I'm wearing good rubber soles, but others may be better able to position themselves in the other seats.

thomas998

The opposite could also be true. Knowing a track could =tensing up, which could cause injuries for some folks. Sometimes the best way to avoid injuries is to relax. I try to maintain a combo of bracing my legs while relaxing almost every other part of my body as much as possible for the whole ride. (really every ride)

As I have gotten older, I've personally gotten better at this.

Second, I find for many rides- though maybe SM isn't the best example- I get desensitized the more I go on all rides. If I go to Orlando for a few days, the first big ride is the one I feel the most. After a week of spinning and dropping and bouncing, each ride phases me less and less.

When it comes to SM, I suppose you could say I know the ride pretty well, but if I'm riding in the front, I can easily see what lies ahead. Even if I'm not up front, well, I find SM very easy to know. I can't see every detail, but much of the ride layout isn't hard to see. One of the biggest rough spots is near the start of the ride. While you are at the top of the ride, there's a sudden little uptick. I suspect many folks don't expect the top of the hill to have an uptick, and if you injure yourself at the start of the ride, that would make the rest of it unpleasant.

I'm sure others will say otherwise, but I notice a (small) difference between the Alpha and the Omega sides.

I also notice a difference in my reaction if I am dehydrated, especially in the high heat of a summer afternoon. With a ride like SM, I get in the AC and it feels cool, so it is easy to forget that I'm thirsty.

I'd also say, the last seat is the roughest. I can't say I have ridden SM all in a row enough times to say which is the least rough, but the last seat is definitely rougher than the rest. There is also a significant difference in the amount of leg room in the two front seats (#1 and #4). For me, I find I'm better able to brace my feet in those two front seats, especially if I'm wearing good rubber soles, but others may be better able to position themselves in the other seats.
relaxing for an impact can be a benefit... but it isn't a good thing for a ride like SM which makes rapid changes of direction, bracing yourself but letting everything else relax is a good way to get whiplash.

Joeamc

Hey all. I know there is a thread about Space Mountain repair ideas, but I think this is a bit separate. The last time I rode Space Mountain, it jangled me so badly that I had a headache for the rest of the day, and I was completely miserable. I couldn't tell you which side I went on, but it was just really bad. I used to love riding Space Mountain, and honestly the ride was more or less a rite of passage for me. I was too scared to ride it until I was about 11 or 12, and then after I finally worked up the courage to do it, I fell in love with it and never wanted to not ride it.

Now, I can't see ever subjecting myself to the ride until it's undergoes a major overhaul, and I wonder if that will ever happen. It's really sad, but I don't want to go through what I went through again. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I alone?
yes

JoMarch

Space Mountain at WDW is so jerky. I swear you come off the tracks a few times lol.

Space Mountain at DL is so incredibly smooth. On my last trip (November 2019), I found Matterhorn to be a little better. The guy who stood in line with me said they replaced the seat cushions a while back. Not sure how recent. Although still a bit rough, not nearly as bad.

NickMaio

I've said the same thing here. The last time I rode was indeed the LAST time I rode. My neck bothered me for hours afterward. I won't board the thing again until its track is rebuilt at the very least.
There really is no excuse for this ride to be this way. It has turned into something that you would not even find at a second rate carrnivale, let alone the most popular tourist destination in the world.
Such penny pinching garbage.......yet I ADORE the ride......the que, the music, one of my absolute favs.

I really needs the most TLC and a rebuild - - -

MickeyLuv'r

relaxing for an impact can be a benefit... but it isn't a good thing for a ride like SM which makes rapid changes of direction, bracing yourself but letting everything else relax is a good way to get whiplash.

Er, okay. Whiplash?

I've never been sore coming off SM, other than a dehydration headache once, so my technique is working for me, thanks.

Mind, I mean relaxed in the sense of not being not all tensed up. As I said, I brace my legs but relax my upper body. I often put my arms up.

Though, full disclosure, sometimes for the photo I have momentarily gone limp so it looks like I'm asleep.

awoogala

yeah, I maybe ride it once near the end of our trip these days, but usually I just avoid it these days. Not worth the pain. (but I get headaches from anything jarring- Dinosaur ride does it too sometimes.)

Victor Kelly

I won't be able to ride it anymore. Hurt my hip a few years back. Won't be able to get in and out of it because it sits so low. It has been rough for many years. But I think not being able to see and brace yourself makes it feel way worse than it is.

Brummyboy92

I went on it for the first time October just passed. I was sitting in the front seat, so was quite excited as it kept breaking down on and off during queuing. It was a lot rougher than I thought it was going to be, I'm quite a robust guy though so it did not bother me too much, however there was a moment that really frightened me where my entire body bent out and over the car.

I'd defiantly ride it again as it's a fantastically unique attraction, however I will be a bit more mentally prepared. :)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'd defiantly ride it again as it's a fantastically unique attraction, however I will be a bit more mentally prepared. :)
3mytuq.jpg

stratman50th

I can't ride it any longer. Used to be a favorite and one my daughter and I liked to ride together. I've read a lot of comments about it needing redesign and refurbishment. I really can't say this is true one way or the other but I know I need some redesign and refurbishment. The ride is just too rough on me and my back can't take it any longer so I don't ride. I leave the technical side to those more knowledgeable than myself but I say that the lines haven't gotten any shorter for something that's mechanically aged.

kmanship

Agreed. Granted I am in my 40's but it's way to jerky for me now. I would much rather ride the newer coasters... Although my teenage kids love Space Mountain. :)

Heppenheimer

Without going through 11 pages of posts, can someone answer this question: does Space Mountain now feel like a wooden roller coaster? Haven't ridden since 2017. Since I actually prefer wooden roller coasters, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for me.

The Pho

Without going through 11 pages of posts, can someone answer this question: does Space Mountain now feel like a wooden roller coaster? Haven't ridden since 2017. Since I actually prefer wooden roller coasters, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for me.
It’s not even close to be as rough as your average wooden. Nevermind a rough one.

Hockey89

Hockey89, how does it feel to be WRONG most of the time??? ;) I'm on the side of SM being way too rough, and it seems I'm not alone!
How does it feel to like horrid food that most people mock. Go have a terrible meal at Cora Reef and enjoy. Please tell me again how Cal Grill has the best sushi. Please. Joker

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom