Space Mountain hurts me too much to ride it again until it's repaired. Anyone else feel this way?

sedati

I rode last year after a 15 year hiatus. First ride was in 1980. Noticed no difference in ride quality. Found the newer, darker interior a big plus.
Agree about the Matterhorn. That ride is rough, and I'd gladly get in line to ride it right now.

durangojim

When my wife and I went on it during MNSSHP it just about killed my back. I don’t have back problems but the next week my back spasmed and caused such pain that it took a week for it to heal. I think it’s becuase I had no idea which way my body was going to be tossed about. I’ll take slinky dog or seven dwarves over it any day!

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I do not have that problem. I do understand, though; there's a roller coaster in Hershey Park that I refuse to ride because it jostles my head around so much.

Matterhorn seriously injured my mom's back; we had to have one of my friends, who is a massage therapist,, come fix her back.

REG Glenn

Please, please, please don’t change Space Mountain. Don’t make it a family coaster. Rode it in total darkness at the Halloween Party and loved it more. By the way, I’m 55 years old. It’s the only coaster I know that has its 3-3 single file configuration. I like that it is different. I rode Space Mountain in Paris. It’s like Rock n Roller and many other Six Flags coasters. SM Paris was fun, but not unique and surely not special.

I don’t want the WDW version to be like DL. Please don’t change it.

Berret

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Please, please, please don’t change Space Mountain. Don’t make it a family coaster. Rode it in total darkness at the Halloween Party and loved it more. By the way, I’m 55 years old. It’s the only coaster I know that has its 3-3 single file configuration. I like that it is different. I rode Space Mountain in Paris. It’s like Rock n Roller and many other Six Flags coasters. SM Paris was fun, but not unique and surely not special.

Honestly, keep everything exactly the same except for a new, smooth track in the same configuration and I'd be happy. I love the ride, just not what it did to me the last time I rode it.

The Pho

What is this supposed to mean?

I think he means that the original Space Mountain is much better than the Disneyland version (which doesn’t have the sudden drops and turns that make it such a great ride), and changing Florida’s to resemble that would be a step back. Personally I agree with that. Florida’s is a much better ride, but California’s has better show quality. Merging those two qualities would likely keep most happy.

Trackmaster

You can make a coaster more enjoyable and less rough, but still make it extreme. BTW - Space Mountain is not an extreme coaster, its just an aging rough coaster. Part of the problem is that its in such a small footprint, so you really feel the roughness.

I think that a modern coaster would have better transitions and would hit the faster parts at wider angles. A solution if they were trying to keep it in the same building would be to use the entire building for the turnarounds (and have the dual tracks go parallel to each other) and possibly engage the brakes more in the middle of the ride. The transitions should be more smoothed out. On a smooth, modern coaster, you blend each element into each other, so you have a more fun and smooth experience. Jerky, separate elements is more of a relic of the past before CAD got to be so big in making coasters.

Raineman

I do find SM to be a pretty rough ride, but the worst part for me is when you are waiting at the bottom of the lift hill, and that wrenching jerk when the chain catches and begins to take you up the lift. I wasn't expecting it the first time I rode, and my lower back was sore for a day or two.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You can make a coaster more enjoyable and less rough, but still make it extreme. BTW - Space Mountain is not an extreme coaster, its just an aging rough coaster. Part of the problem is that its in such a small footprint, so you really feel the roughness.

I think that a modern coaster would have better transitions and would hit the faster parts at wider angles. A solution if they were trying to keep it in the same building would be to use the entire building for the turnarounds (and have the dual tracks go parallel to each other) and possibly engage the brakes more in the middle of the ride. The transitions should be more smoothed out. On a smooth, modern coaster, you blend each element into each other, so you have a more fun and smooth experience. Jerky, separate elements is more of a relic of the past before CAD got to be so big in making coasters.
A good solution would be to replace the aging, rotting, rough as heck, track.

FettFan

I'll have to agree with the original poster. I have loved Space Mountain since 1972...but lately it does seem somewhat rickety and jerks you around very hard. My wife will not ride it with me anymore.

I guess that after...what...about 45 years...that the ride is showing its age and is in need of an good overhaul. I'm betting the new Tron ride will be much smoother.

I'll see your bet and raise you that once Tron is completed and open, Space Mountain will finally get the attention it needs.

Granted, I made the same prediction about Everest going for a lengthy rehab with the opening of Flight of Passage and the Navi River Journey....and that's yet to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom