Space mountain fun facts

mergatroid

A lady behind me vomited on the ride many years ago. I thought I could first hear and then smell something odd, but it wasn't til getting off that I had it confirmed. Her last meal was smeared over her face and chest, the CM's were very good to her though 🤮

Figments Friend

The stripes on the sides of the rocket ride vehicles used to 'glow in the dark' so you could see them better zipping around the dark interior while riding on the WEDWay PeopleMover.

Man i miss that....
Being able to see far more inside 'Space Mountain' from the WEDWay.
Black walls greatly diminish the PeopleMover experience, but apparently a necessity to cut down on the light bounceback inside the building.
But it was cool to ride through slowly and watch the 'glow in the dark' rockets zip around the track.

-

mergatroid

Man i miss that....
Being able to see far more inside 'Space Mountain' from the WEDWay.
Black walls greatly diminish the PeopleMover experience, but apparently a necessity to cut down on the light bounceback inside the building.
But it was cool to ride through slowly and watch the 'glow in the dark' rockets zip around the track.

I thought they removed them because people used to spit on them?

Club Cooloholic

Here's a Fun Fact.
They made a TV special in 1975 called Welcome To the World for the Grand Opening of Space Mountain..The first 40 mins is pure 70's cheese and last 10 mins is the whole reason the special was made..😂

That dude dancing all around in the bell bottoms and then falling into the sewer is straight up priceless.

Matt_Black

On June 22, 1985, "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair referred to himself as "Space Mountain" for the first time on television. WOOOOOO!!!

ric-flair-woo.jpg

graphite1326

I saw an Imagineer once saying that it's more like the asteroids they designed kinda looked like chocolate chip cookies.
I recently asked a CM where the chocolate cookies went since I didn't see any/ He looked at me confused. He didn't know what I was talking about.

Pepper's Ghost

Here's a Fun Fact.
They made a TV special in 1975 called Welcome To the World for the Grand Opening of Space Mountain..The first 40 mins is pure 70's cheese and last 10 mins is the whole reason the special was made..😂

I've never seen this. I can't believe the fanfare rides were introduced with back then. A sincerely ignorant question... do they do something similar for new rides today? Like Flight of Passage (which I've still not rode), was that introduced with such panache? I'm sure there wasn't a TV special, but curious if it opened like this, or just one day it was open and "oh, hey everyone walking by... we got this new ride."

TKTC

Multiple. Yellow is still the most vivid.

I've finally rec'd a video from this year (shot on an iphone). Mostly, bolts on the support structure have yellow painted over them. There is also some pink and blue on the supports. Very little visible on the actual track sections.

Most of the yellow on the track appears to be where they stop the trains for unloads (caution marking).

Cmdr_Crimson

I've never seen this. I can't believe the fanfare rides were introduced with back then. A sincerely ignorant question... do they do something similar for new rides today? Like Flight of Passage (which I've still not rode), was that introduced with such panache? I'm sure there wasn't a TV special, but curious if it opened like this, or just one day it was open and "oh, hey everyone walking by... we got this new ride."

They had nothing like this after the later years......You'd be lucky to see anything for a grand opening during the Easter or Christmas parades like the Splash Mountain one for example...

But, the oddest one of the bunch is the cross-promotion for Extra-TERRORestrial Alien Encounter...It just was a History Channel Ancient Aliens documentary in itself....And the last 3 Minutes of the special talks about the new attraction.....:banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom