Space Mountain effects

rreading

Original Poster
I understand and agree that SM needs a track refresh (I would prefer minimal changes so not really a "redo"), and that there are effects not working right.

One of those - the red tunnel with the explosion sound - seems to be so persistently off to me that I wonder if its timing is intentional at this point (perhaps they intend the sound to be late due to the slower speed of sound though that doesn't make sense). Otherwise, I would assume it would be different in the different tracks and should also be so easy to correct. @marni1971 : do you think it's possible that they intend the sound to come at the end of the red tunnel or are unable to perform seemingly simple changes? Or is it possible that the modification would be hard to implement?

Tom Morrow

That sound effect's timing has been off since the big refurb of 2009. Literally for a decade. WDW is good at a lot of things, but they are really bad at attraction audio - one of the easiest things to fix.

See also - Tower of Terror, which has also had quiet and out of sync audio for over a decade.

Yert3

That sound effect's timing has been off since the big refurb of 2009. Literally for a decade. WDW is good at a lot of things, but they are really bad at attraction audio - one of the easiest things to fix.

See also - Tower of Terror, which has also had quiet and out of sync audio for over a decade.
This also makes me wonder if they even know about it. I mean, I have no idea how they figure out something isn’t working as it should. The people working on these attractions aren’t the “original” people from way back when. Is there a checklist or something? Sometimes effects work improperly for so long, I wonder if they’re even aware of it. Br’er Frog singing Laughing place on Splash Mountain was out of sync for a decade. Ten whole years. The oldest video on YouTube I could find of that was 2003 and he was fixed in the 2013 refurb.

Last edited:

rreading

Original Poster
This also makes me wonder if they even know about it. I mean, I have no idea how they figure out something isn’t working as it should. The people working on these attractions are the “original” people from way back when. Is there a checklist or something? Sometimes effects work improperly for so long, I wonder if they’re even aware of it. Br’er Frog singing Laughing place on Splash Mountain was out of sync for a decade. Ten whole years. The oldest video on YouTube I could find of that was 2003 and he was fixed in the 2013 refurb.

They have to know about it...I saw a CM riding through while we were there this past week. It's not subtle AT ALL. I guess that the fix must be more difficult than we expect...but still seems SO lazy for a place that does so many other things well

rreading

Original Poster

It's amazing to me that they would be updating paint schemes and the MILF sign and not attending to something like this :(

So the next question is whether it really is something that is easy to fix

Tom Morrow

It's amazing to me that they would be updating paint schemes and the MILF sign and not attending to something like this :(

So the next question is whether it really is something that is easy to fix
Reprogramming audio timing and levels is easier than any physical repairs.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This also makes me wonder if they even know about it. I mean, I have no idea how they figure out something isn’t working as it should. The people working on these attractions aren’t the “original” people from way back when. Is there a checklist or something? Sometimes effects work improperly for so long, I wonder if they’re even aware of it. Br’er Frog singing Laughing place on Splash Mountain was out of sync for a decade. Ten whole years. The oldest video on YouTube I could find of that was 2003 and he was fixed in the 2013 refurb.
Yep. There’s checklists for everything. Quite often a level of management above those who report it decides not to fix it. If I recall the re entry sound is two tracks; the descending engine noise outside the tube, then the boom inside the tube. They’re aware of it.

On a brighter note, recent videos show they’ve tried to repair the lift hill wall lighting that was dark for years. I’d like to take some credit for that but who am I.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom