Space Mountain Color

kcnole

Original Poster
This is just a quick question. A few months ago there were a few pictures on here that showed part of space mountain as being white and the other part a brownish color. There was much speculation that it was just a repainting phase of Space, but others were fearful that they were changing the colors. I haven't heard anything of it since then and I assume it is back to its glorious gleaming white. Does anyone have a follow up on this for me?

Lee

Adventurer
Unfortunately it hasn't changed, it's still white at the top and sort of off-white on the main cone.
Hopefully, if the potential refurb actually happens, they will update the mountain's exterior appearance to better fit the rest of Tomorrowland.:rolleyes:

boo52

I asked someone at FAM who contacted WDI and they stated that when Space Mountain was repainted recently they were given John Hench's original color call. Apparently it had never been painted to his spec until recently. When the color calls were sent they went back to his original calls. Hence what we see now. So from what I gathered this was how it was always supposed to be and this is how it will remain.

SirNim

boo52 said:
I asked someone at FAM who contacted WDI and they stated that when Space Mountain was repainted recently they were given John Hench's original color call. Apparently it had never been painted to his spec until recently. When the color calls were sent they went back to his original calls. Hence what we see now. So from what I gathered this was how it was always supposed to be and this is how it will remain.
Interesting... of course Hench specified no less than four different shades of white for the various exterior elements of the American Adventure pavilion (according to the new Epcot Field Guide), so I wouldn't be entirely surprised...

Lee

Adventurer
JEDI1138 said:
And why do you think this is sad? John Hench designed the parks and was a brilliant colorist.

Because...
a) It looks odd, like it needs cleaning, so I hate to think that's what Hench had in mind.
b) They went to the trouble to repaint the ride the same, outdated colors it's been for thirty years.

AEfx

JEDI1138 said:
And why do you think this is sad? John Hench designed the parks and was a brilliant colorist.

Brilliant or not, it looks like total crap.

Not everyone hits 100% of the time.

AEfx

jmvd20

I didn't think it looked bad at all, I like the fact that part of it looks perfectly clean and the remaining part looks dirty as heck.

Epcot82Guy

I like the white color scheme, but I think the full white was much much better. I'd rather see a DLP scheme than the half tan-half white. However, I have heard that it looks more dramatic in pictures than in person.

bassman

Lee said:
Yeah!
Hit it with some silver, some darker blue...maybe some neon...:sohappy:

absolutely,the DLC version hs a very M:S look too it; silver walls, glass screens and plenty of cool blue neon lighting.it looks awesome from the pics ive seen,they have even done up their spaceship that hangs over the station (WDW has the same spaceship only its hung between the 2 lift hills and its older looking compared to this one) now its all futuristic and cool.
please disney, give WDWs space mountain the same treatment.
please.
now i know i have posted this before but i really think that this look would go with WDWs space mountain.

Chape19714

That's funny, I go to the MK very often, and have never noticed it being off, it looks normal to me. Maybe I'm color blind...

jmvd20

Epcot82Guy said:
I like the white color scheme, but I think the full white was much much better. I'd rather see a DLP scheme than the half tan-half white. However, I have heard that it looks more dramatic in pictures than in person.

It definitely is more pronounced in photographs. Had I never read the post that it had been painted 2 different colors I most likely would not have noticed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom