Space Mountain Closure

LukeS7

Original Poster
Was just in line for Space Mountain for a fastpass and about to be loaded on when they stopped the ride. They said if it was a short wait, they'd be back up and moving soon, but within 2 minutes they asked all available cast members to go somewhere (don't know where) and we were told to move to the exit. This seems too short of a time for it to be a mechanical failure to me. Anyone have any experience with this?

WDW862

This doesn't belong in this forum section. Space Mountain is over 30 years old with little maintenance, sometimes things will break.

LukeS7

Original Poster
This doesn't belong in this forum section. Space Mountain is over 30 years old with little maintenance, sometimes things will break.
I wasn't sure which it would belong in, my mistake, any idea how to move it?

21stamps

It was closed during our fast pass time in 2015. We went back an hour or so later when it was back up, they still honored our FP.

LukeS7

Original Poster
It was closed during our fast pass time in 2015. We went back an hour or so later when it was back up, they still honored our FP.
My concern isn't not being able to go on the ride, I'm more worried about if there was maybe a larger mechanical failure or if there was a medical issue. I was just curious if anybody here knows what procedures they would take if that happens.

21stamps

My concern isn't not being able to go on the ride, I'm more worried about if there was maybe a larger mechanical failure or if there was a medical issue. I was just curious if anybody here knows what procedures they would take if that happens.
It sounds like it could be a medical issue then.

In my experience when there is a major medical problem they clear the line and tell everyone the ride is closed indefinitely.

ETA- this has never happened to me at WDW. It did happen at our local park this past summer when some idiot stuck his hand out of the ride and sliced it open. We sat there for 45 minutes and then they announced the ride was closed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Space - depending on the stoppage - IIRC could require the queue to be dumped and the ride evaced before attempting restarting.

rct247

Breaking News! It's back open!

Things like this can be a very common occurance...a typical ride downtime. It can happen once in a couple weeks or multiple times a day. While I wouldn't argue it's normal, but most attractions have so many sensors and computer logic talking to each other that the slightest error or misread will shut itself down in that he name of safety. It's just part of having more technically advanced attractions...especially retrofitted one.

KBLovedDisney

I have been to Disney when they were doing maintenance with the lights on (before the renovation), riding the People Mover and getting to see it in full light. It was awesome. Also, another time, about 30 minutes after riding Space Mountain, we overheard that there had been an accident. Something happened with the brake switch and two cars collided. No one was seriously hurt. My guess is that one car was stopped at the Exit and the car following wasn't braking. Whenever this happened, they closed it for most of the day. They do like a full ride check regardless if it just a slight malfunction, someone complains, someone gets sick, maintenance, etc. and depending on what the CMs find, it could very well be closed for an entire day without warning. It just happens.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I have been to Disney when they were doing maintenance with the lights on (before the renovation), riding the People Mover and getting to see it in full light. It was awesome. Also, another time, about 30 minutes after riding Space Mountain, we overheard that there had been an accident. Something happened with the brake switch and two cars collided. No one was seriously hurt. My guess is that one car was stopped at the Exit and the car following wasn't braking. Whenever this happened, they closed it for most of the day. They do like a full ride check regardless if it just a slight malfunction, someone complains, someone gets sick, maintenance, etc. and depending on what the CMs find, it could very well be closed for an entire day without warning. It just happens.
I think if I saw Space in full light (condition of the track) I'd be too terrified to ride it ever again ;)

Minnie Mum

I think if I saw Space in full light (condition of the track) I'd be too terrified to ride it ever again ;)
We've seen Space Mountain with the lights on (from the People Mover) a few times. You can't get a real view of the condition of the track. But you can see how it's built. Finding out that it's nothing more than a Wild Mouse ride that you ride in the dark kind of takes the thrill factor down a notch or 2.

KBLovedDisney

We've seen Space Mountain with the lights on (from the People Mover) a few times. You can't get a real view of the condition of the track. But you can see how it's built. Finding out that it's nothing more than a Wild Mouse ride that you ride in the dark kind of takes the thrill factor down a notch or 2.
All I can see now is the game Mouse Trap!:joyfull:

yellowb

I had the privilege of riding Space Mountain with the lights on one time about 20 years ago. It was a pretty cool experience.

Lunair

20161230_163619.jpg

My family and I were stuck at the very end of the track this past December. Found this nice hidden mickey!

Prog

Space - depending on the stoppage - IIRC could require the queue to be dumped and the ride evaced before attempting restarting.
Why is that? I can understand if all the zones freeze they have to go up the scaffolding and push everyone down the ride (or is that DL?) but why does that necessitate a dump?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom