News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since Chapek slow-rolled all the other things planned for the 50th, so a new d-ticket ride in a park not celebrating it's 50th became the big thing, unless you count cupcakes and sparkly lights?
So it wasn't the Chinese... it was Chapek that caused a world-wide pandemic!!

orky8

So it wasn't the Chinese... it was Chapek that caused a world-wide pandemic!!
Chapek put the brakes on Tron and moth-balled Rat until the 50th so he'd have something new to open. Yes. Worldwide pandemic or not, Chapek could have told construction on Tron to proceed instead of halting it (Universal still managed to build velocicoaster, for example) or said to open Rat as soon as it was ready, which it currently is, instead of holding it until MK's 50th.

I find the Rat decision a perfect example of current leadership mindset, which doesn't give a $#@# about the guest experience. Covid or not, it's ready to go. Open it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Is it just me, or are they doing more for Epcot for the 50th than MK?

Absent a world-wide pandemic there was supposed to be for MK:
  • A new coaster (TRON)
  • A revamped Speedway
  • A replacement for Stitch
  • A fashion do-over for Tomorrowland
  • The castle decoration
  • Maybe a new float for the day parade
  • Borrowing DL's electric night parade
  • A 50th tag to HEA
  • A Main Street Theater
  • An upgrade to MK park entrance (all four parks got that, too)
  • IP additions to TTA
  • The explosion added to BTM
  • Refurb Main Street facades
  • Projections on Main Street facades
  • Update CoP (at least the last scene)
  • Something something Muppets
  • New scenes for PhilharMagic

Some things are happening. Some aren't or are delayed due to COVID, and some are cut for other reasons.

DHS was in desperate need for new rides.

And it turned out, EPCOT was also in desparate need as it was about to become the least attended of the four park.

The best thing for MK right now is to continue to beef up the other three parks to draw away people from MK which is already overcrowded. Disney seems poised to 'fix' the overcrowding of MK not only with carrots and sticks (mainly higher prices), but with a hard cap, thanks to the new Park Reservation system.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Chapek put the brakes on Tron and moth-balled Rat until the 50th so he'd have something new to open. Yes. Worldwide pandemic or not, Chapek could have told construction on Tron to proceed instead of halting it (Universal still managed to build velocicoaster, for example) or said to open Rat as soon as it was ready, which it currently is, instead of holding it until MK's 50th.

I find the Rat decision a perfect example of current leadership mindset, which doesn't give a $#@# about the guest experience. Covid or not, it's ready to go. Open it.

50th celebrations aren't connected to a switch to turn on. All the things that were supposed to happen were in process for years. Then when a world-wide pandemic hit, it became clear that there was no clear end to the pandemic. You don't remember everyone's surprise when lockdowns were happening for a month, then three months? Estimates of the pandemic depressing the economy that could go on for years? All before we had a working vaccine?

That causes companies to 'turtle'. And if Disney didn't conserve resources to show that the company didn't have a net loss quarter after quarter, its stocks would have plummeted. In that case, we may be talking about Disney Amazon Parks right now.

It's easy and cheap to blame someone while ignoring all the uncertainties and restrictions they faced.

ppete1975

if covid didnt happen and capacity wasnt capped Rat would be opened. I think this is a why waste it now, its more valuable to keep unopened due to all of the variables.

ppete1975

50th celebrations aren't connected to a switch to turn on. All the things that were supposed to happen were in process for years. Then when a world-wide pandemic hit, it became clear that there was no clear end to the pandemic. You don't remember everyone's surprise when lockdowns were happening for a month, then three months? Estimates of the pandemic depressing the economy that could go on for years? All before we had a working vaccine?

That causes companies to 'turtle'. And if Disney didn't conserve resources to show that the company didn't have a net loss quarter after quarter, its stocks would have plummeted. In that case, we may be talking about Disney Amazon Parks right now.

It's easy and cheap to blame someone while ignoring all the uncertainties and restrictions they faced.
disneyland lost all of the 65th anniversary time. Its clear from the merchandise we did see (funkos etc) that they wanted that to be a big one.

orky8

if covid didnt happen and capacity wasnt capped Rat would be opened. I think this is a why waste it now, its more valuable to keep unopened due to all of the variables.

Because guests visiting for the next 5 months might enjoy it. Valuable to who, marketing? I mean, I'm not going to say what would Walt do. But, I'm pretty sure not this. Though, he could probably build a restaurant in less than 4 years too.

ppete1975

• A new coaster (TRON)
  • A revamped Speedway
  • The castle decoration
  • A 50th tag to HEA
  • A Main Street Theater
  • IP additions to TTA

Some things are happening. Some aren't or are delayed due to COVID, and some are cut for other reasons.

And it turned out, EPCOT was also in desparate need as it was about to become the least attended of the four park.

The best thing for MK right now is to continue to beef up the other three parks to draw away people from MK which is already overcrowded. Disney seems poised to 'fix' the overcrowding of MK not only with carrots and sticks (mainly higher prices), but with a hard cap, thanks to the new Park Reservation system.
do you think there will ever be a time that MK costs more than the other 3. IT would be hard to do with the way they sell tickets but it is possible and would push people to do other parks perhaps.

ppete1975

Because guests visiting for the next 5 months might enjoy it. Valuable to who, marketing? I mean, I'm not going to say what would Walt do. But, I'm pretty sure not this. Though, he could probably build a restaurant in less than 4 years too.
yes marketing! And bringing in people to fill capacity. And more marketing. With the current state of the parks there is no reason to waste the attraction on people who would be there anyway (love disney, pent up enthusiasm, locals)
Financially its wiser to wait till the park has fireworks higher capacities and they need to pull more people in.
I am sure that disney looks at the people going right now as the people that as long as they open the gates they will come.

Lots of the hotels arent even open right now, they are playing the long game. Wait till they can open it and other things and get more bang for the buck. Right now all they have to do is dust it check the hydraulics and computers... no cast members little electricity, and im not sure how the taxes work but might even be a loss financially since it isnt opened for them to claim (i have no idea if thats right)

It isnt about the guests.. its about money

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
do you think there will ever be a time that MK costs more than the other 3. IT would be hard to do with the way they sell tickets but it is possible and would push people to do other parks perhaps.
There's already surge pricing depending on the day you chose. I imagine price based on the park is not far behind.

The_Jobu

• A new coaster (TRON)
  • A revamped Speedway
  • The castle decoration
  • A 50th tag to HEA
  • A Main Street Theater
  • IP additions to TTA

Yeah but still funny.

Happy 39th Epcot!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Couple of new postings (the PC is one that was posted in February, but has now been posted again) -

IveBeenJack

From what I've heard, Space 220 is targeting October 1, 2021 for it's official opening date. Apparently training is to begin in September. The 50th kickoff is going to have a lot new to experience between Rat, Harmonious, Enchantment and who could not forget DuckTails KiteTails!

gghdn6hbini31.jpg

IveBeenJack

Did they actually say it’s “opening on October 1, 2021” or did they say it is “opening for the 50th kickoff”? Epcot’s 50th is only a short 11 years away!
Lol they said October 1 THIS YEAR… but given how many “opening dates” this has missed…the Epcot’s 50th is probably more likely! Haha

No Name

Covid or not, it's ready to go. Open it.
That would be bad.

Yes, valuable to marketing. And therefore valuable to the success of the company. Projects need a solid return on investment for future projects to get approved. Who cares if Walt would’ve made a better or worse decision, he’s dead.

• A new coaster (TRON)
  • A revamped Speedway
  • The castle decoration
  • A 50th tag to HEA
  • A Main Street Theater
  • IP additions to TTA

I thought the Main Street Theater was (implicitly) canceled pre-Covid. Good to hear if it wasn't because that could mean that it's still possible they might build it. Or am I dreaming?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom